Military and Veteran Services FAQ

Below are some of the most common questions from our military-connected students.

At any time, if you are unable to find the answer to your question, please email us at or for assistance.

General FAQs

Where do I send unofficial transcripts to UIW for evaluation?

School of Professional Studies (online and night classes) and Broadway Campus:

Where do I send official transcripts to UIW?

SPS and Broadway campus:

What is the Cardinal Apps link to access apps available to the UIW student?

UIW Cardinal Apps (

How do I register for UIW courses?

Visit the Online Registration page to find registration instructions.

Who is my advisor?

Login to Bannerweb or Degree Works via Cardinal Apps to view your academic advisor's contact information.

How do I obtain a copy of my degree plan?

Visit Cardinal Apps and access the Degree Works Dashboard.

What is the last day to register for classes?

The last day to register for classes is dependent on the UIW program the student is currently attending.

  • School of Professional Studies: Accepts registration until the Wednesday of the first week of classes for eight-week terms. Please visit the School of Professional Studies website for more information and to see information concerning any four-week terms.
  • Broadway Campus: Consult the current academic calendar and deadlines page.

How do I drop a course?

The decision to drop a course or withdraw can greatly impact a student’s success in meeting their educational goals. The last day to drop a class is dependent on the program the student is currently attending. Students using VA Education Benefits must report all added/dropped courses through the Veterans Certification Form on Cardinal Apps. In the event of a drop, please be advised that student debt may be incurred.

  • School of Professional Studies: Visit the Course Drop page for instructions on how to drop or withdraw from a course and to see deadlines.
  • Broadway campus: Contact the University Advising Center (located in the Student Engagement Center, Room 3120) at (210) 805-5814 for assistance.

What is the last day to drop a course with a 100% refund?

What is the last day to withdraw from a course?

  • School of Professional Studies: Students may request a drop by Friday of the sixth week, 5 p.m. CT, to be eligible for a grade of W and no refund.

What is ROTC?

Reserve Officer Training Corps, or ROTC, combines courses in Military Science or Aerospace Studies with summer training opportunities focused on transforming college students into the leaders of tomorrow as commissioned officers. The classes are available at hundreds of colleges and universities throughout the nation.

Does UIW have an ROTC program?

The University of the Incarnate Word, in conjunction with the Armed Forces of the United States, is proud to participate in two collaborative programs with ROTC and local universities. Through these agreements, students may earn credit and additional scholarship opportunities while serving their country.

UIW students have the option to enroll in Army ROTC, which is a cross-town partnership with St. Mary's University, or Air Force ROTC, which is a cross-town partnership with University of Texas at San Antonio. Through these agreements, students will remain full-time UIW students but will still be able to reap the benefits of being an ROTC cadet.

Army ROTC Information

Air Force ROTC Information

How do I get to my ROTC classes off-campus?

Army ROTC Military Science courses are taught at UIW.

As of right now, Air Force ROTC Aerospace Studies classes are taught at UTSA. UIW does not currently offer a shuttle program for getting students to our cross-town partnerships. However, ROTC is huge on the "no cadet left behind" mindset, and cadets will often carpool to their classes and other off-campus ROTC obligations.

Effective Jan. 1, 2022

Texas Governor Greg Abbott signed a law effective Jan. 1, 2022 that requires everyone parking in a handicap accessible spot to have either the handicap symbol on their license plate, or a placard hanging from the rearview mirror.

Waiving your Parking Fee:

Disabled/decorated veterans whose vehicle displays the special license plate issued by the Texas Department of Transportation (TXDoT) are eligible to receive a University parking permit (Handicap or Economy) at no cost. This privilege applies to the veteran ONLY (not to others driving the vehicle). Qualifying veterans may use the T2 Cardinal Cars system to register vehicle(s) and request a permit. These permit requests must be verified by the Business Office. Before a permit is issued, the veteran will be required to:

Access the T2 Cardinal Cars system to register vehicle(s) and request a Handicap or Economy permit. You may access the system by using your Cardinal Apps Sign On Portal.

The UIW Veterans Tribute stole recognizes and honors our students who have served our country. The stole is free of charge to veteran students by the UIW Military and Veteran Center. Stoles are given on a first-come, first-served basis. Please visit the Graduation Stole webpage for more information.

Active Duty FAQs

What is the deadline to request tuition assistance from my branch of service?

  • Air Force: no later than 7 (seven) days prior to the term start date
  • Army:  no later than 7 (seven) days prior to the term start date
  • Coast Guard:  no later than 7 (seven) days prior to the term start date
  • Marines: no later than 1 (one) day prior to the term start date
  • Navy:  no later than 7 (seven) days prior to the term start date
  • Space Force:  no later than 7 (seven) days prior to the term start date

How do I submit a copy of my TA form?

Army-eligible active and reserve members must also submit their Tuition Assistance Request (TAR) through ArmyIgnitED.

Who do I contact to follow up on my eligible military discount?

You may contact the Business Office via email at or by phone at (210) 829-6043.

When should I expect to see any eligible military discounts on my account?

Military discount rates are applied after the 100% drop date. The student's account will be adjusted accordingly after the 100% drop date in approximately the second week of classes.

Why is the school charging me 30% of the cost of the class?

Service members (active-duty) who request a drop from a term between week 2 and week 5 are dropped at a 30% refund. However, the Department of Defense (DoD) requires that UIW return any unearned TA funds to the DoD based on how much of the course you completed and that you pay a portion of those returned funds. You may owe a portion of your tuition to UIW and a portion to your military branch.

Visit the Military Related Policies for detailed information.

How do I request a transcript to send to my Education Center or another school?

Go to Registrar’s Transcript Request page for unofficial and official transcript requests.

How do my final grades get reported each term?

Servicemembers who requested TA are automatically listed in their appropriate branch of service’s portal. Once the term is completed and grades are viewable, grades will be automatically input in their appropriate military portals.

How does my graduation get reported?

Once the registrar's office completes the graduation reporting in the UIW system, graduation will be automatically input in their appropriate military portals.

I am up for Advancement/Selection and need an official document outlining my academic standing. How should I proceed?

Check with your branch of service and if an official transcript is required, then a transcript can be ordered from or the National Student Clearinghouse website.

If you have any questions about ArmyIgnitED specifically, please visit our ArmyIgnitED FAQ webpage here.

Veteran and VA Benefit FAQs

Certification Requirement

  • Degree Plan Requirement: All courses certified to the VA must be required for your degree plan at the time of certification. General electives can only be certified if the credit hours are required to graduate.
  • Repeat/GPA Boosting Courses: If a student successfully completes and passes a course it cannot be certified again to the VA. However, if a student fails the course and the program requires a higher grade than the one achieved, that course may be repeated and certified to the VA again.
  • Course Substitutions: Once a course substitution has received final approval from the registrar’s office, it can be certified to the VA. Please make note of possible certification delays with this route.

Added/Dropped Courses

Students must report all added/dropped courses through the Veterans Certification Form on Cardinal Apps. In the event of a drop, please be advised student debt may be incurred.

Prior Credit

Students are responsible for submitting all official transcripts to the Admissions Office for prior credit evaluation. Failure to submit transcripts on time may require the school to reverse certification for a course where transfer credit was given.

Processing Time

It is our priority to process all students in a timely manner. Once all required documents are received, please allow four business days to process your certification. Please note that students not meeting the certification requirements mentioned above may experience delays in their certification.

Hybrid/Blended Courses

For all terms beginning on or after Aug. 15, 2019, all courses that combine classroom instruction and distance learning (hybrid/blended courses) will be classified as in-residence training.

Undergraduate Rate of Pursuit

Chapters 30, 35, 1606, and 1607

VA Benefits are paid based on training time. In a standard semester, VA measures training time as follows:

  • 12 hours = Full time
  • 9 - 11 hours = 3/4 time
  • 6 - 8 hours = 1/2 time
  • 4 - 5 hours = < 1/2 time
  • 1 - 3 hours = < 1/4 time

Chapter 33 Post 9-11 GI Bill®

Chapter 33 Post 9-11 GI Bill® Housing Allowance is paid if the rate of pursuit is more than 50%.

Semester Credit Equivalency Table

Semester Credit Equivalency
Weeks (across)
Credits (down)
15 to 19 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
8 1/2 3/4 3/4 FT FT FT FT FT FT FT FT FT FT FT FT
7 1/2 3/4 3/4 3/4 3/4 FT FT FT FT FT FT FT FT FT FT
6 1/2 1/2 1/2 3/4 3/4 3/4 FT FT FT FT FT FT FT FT FT
5 <1/2 1/2 1/2 1/2 1/2 3/4 3/4 3/4 FT FT FT FT FT FT FT
4 <1/2 <1/2 <1/2 1/2 1/2 1/2 1/2 3/4 3/4 FT FT FT FT FT FT
3 1/4 1/4 <1/2 <1/2 <1/2 <1/2 1/2 1/2 1/2 3/4 3/4 FT FT FT FT
2 1/4 1/4 1/4 1/4 1/4 1/4 <1/2 <1/2 <1/2 1/2 1/2 3/4 FT FT FT
1 1/4 1/4 1/4 1/4 1/4 1/4 1/4 1/4 1/4 1/4 1/4 <1/2 1/2 3/4 FT

**Student taking solely distance learning in a term will receive half the MHA rate.
**For COVID-19 distance learning updates, please refer to the Monthly Housing Rate (MHA) FAQ.

Graduate Rate of Pursuit

Chapter 33 Post 9-11 GI Bill®

Chapter 33 Post 9-11 GI Bill® Housing Allowance is paid if the rate of pursuit is more than 50%.

Graduate Rate of Pursuit
  Master's Full-Semester Master's 8-Week Professional Ph.D Ph.D. (Dissertation)
Full Time 6 hrs 3 hrs 6 hrs 6 hrs 3 hrs
Half-Time 3 hrs 1 hr 3 hrs 3 hrs 1 hr

View the Graduate Rate of Pursuit Non-Standard Terms (pdf).

View the Dropping a Course flowchart (pdf) here.

**Student taking solely distance learning in a term will receive half the MHA rate
**For COVID-19 distance learning updates, please refer to the Monthly Housing Rate (MHA) FAQ

Withdrawing or Dropping a Course

Students must report all dropped courses through the UIW VA Certification Form on Cardinal Apps. We encourage all students to contact the Military and Veteran Center if they are considering withdrawing or dropping a course post-census (after the 100% drop date). Withdrawals or drops are reported to the Department of Veterans Affairs and may result in student debt.

For Students Utilizing Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill®

A drop or withdrawal could require the return of paid tuition, fees or Yellow Ribbon payments back to the VA. Any outstanding balance would be the responsibility of the student and may incur a Business Office Hold.

What if I receive a failing grade?

If you fail a class, you will receive what is called a punitive grade for that class. A punitive grade is one that does not count as earned credit, but is counted in determining your progress toward graduation requirements. That means the grade you receive counts negatively toward your overall degree progress. Since the grade does count toward your graduation process (albeit negatively) you are not required to repay any GI Bill® benefits you received for that class. You may take the class again to attempt to receive credit toward graduation, or to raise your GPA, and you may receive GI Bill® benefits to retake the class.

Why did I receive a letter from the VA stating no tuition and fees were charged?

Post 9/11 GI Bill® benefit for tuition and fees is based on net cost to the student. To meet this requirement:

  • Your certification request will be initially submitted to the VA with $0 cost for tuition and fees.
  • This process will be repeated for each mini-term (Spring I, Spring II, etc.).
  • After the 100% refund drop date for each program (Main Campus and SPS), we will resubmit the certification request with the net cost for the enrollment.
  • Students will receive a new award letter from the VA with payment information included.

Can I change degrees while using my GI Bill®?

Yes, please see your academic advisor to change degrees and inform us as soon as possible. Your school record must be updated before we may certify your new classes

How do use my VA Benefits at another college or university?

Download and submit the Request to Study at Another Institution form to request approval of class(es) from another institution. Approval signatures are required from your advisor and the Registrar’s Office. If approved for transfer credit, forward the approval email from the UIW Registrar's Office to the UIW Center for VA email: with the contact name of the other school's VA Office. We will email the student a PDF copy of the approval letter, listing the class(es), term and chapter of benefits – students may then deliver or email the letter to the secondary school. Students must follow-up with all processes required by the other school’s VA Office.

Are GI Bill® benefits taxable?

No. GI Bill® benefits paid should not be reported as income to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), and you will not receive a W-2 from the VA.


Chapter 33 Post 9-11 GI Bill® and Chapter 31 VR&E will pay required tuition/fees directly to the school. Please check your benefit eligibility and remaining time to determine if full payment will occur.

How is the VA billed?

Required tuition/fees minus any discounts and tuition/fee specific scholarships are reported to the VA after the 100% drop date.

When is the VA billed?

Chapter 33 Post 9-11 GI Bill® and Chapter 31 VR&E are initially certified at $0 to the VA to initiate stipends. Tuition is reported after the 100% drop date. Payment from the VA may take several weeks to arrive.

Can I use financial aid with my GI Bill®?

Yes, you may - please visit the UIW Office of Financial Assistance. Reported tuition and fees under the Post 9/11 GI Bill® benefit will be calculated minus any tuition-only scholarships/ aid, but excludes Title IV funds (ex: student loans and Pell grants). The Hazelwood Act (SB639, 82nd Texas Legislature) is available only for students attending Texas public colleges/universities. UIW is a private institution and is ineligible to participate. Visit the UIW Financial Aid website.

Can I receive a tuition discount?

Please see the Business Office Policy on tuition discounts.

Why do I keep receiving a bill?

All students are encouraged to review their bill to ensure charges are accurate and to pay for any cost that are not covered by the GI Bill®, such as parking permits, fines, housing or meal plans. This also allows you to see when the VA has paid.

How do I check the status of my tuition payment?

Refer to the award letter the VA mailed to you – this includes school payments, monthly housing and book stipends, remaining entitlement, etc. Call VA Education Services at 1-888-GIBILL-1, or check your benefits online.

Parking Permit

Students parking on campus are responsible for obtaining a parking permit from the UIW Business Office. The VA does NOT cover the cost of the parking permit with the exception of the Chapter 31 Vocational Readiness and Employment Program. The University does grant a parking permit fee waiver for disabled/decorated veterans upon submission of their vehicle registration at the UIW Business Office.

Insurance Fee

All full-time Main Campus students are automatically charged for health insurance. The cost is not covered under VA Educational Benefits and can be waived by the pre-determined deadline on the UIW Business Office website.

Post-9/11 GI Bill® students attending IHL facilities who receive Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) and/or kicker payments are required to verify enrollment at the end of each month. This applies to IHL students with terms starting after Dec. 17, 2021.

Texting IHL Student Guide for Verifying Monthly Enrollment (pdf)

If you have any questions or would like more clarification, please feel free to contact our office at or (210) 832-5651. We are happy to assist and review your schedule if needed.

Chapter 31 Veteran Readiness and Employment Service (VR&E)

View the program information for Chapter 31 VR&E (pdf).

View the Chapter 31 Approved Certification Process flow chart (pdf).

Estimated Costs

Select the following to view the estimated costs for the 2022-2023 Academic Year:

Study Abroad

  • For VA Certification, courses taken abroad must apply to your degree plan.
  • The VA is only billed for tuition and fees required for your degree plan.
  • The VA does not pay any fees specific to study abroad including travel, lodging, host school fees or third party charges.
  • Chapter 33 Post 9-11 GI Bill® may still receive a BAH and a book stipend according to the hours certified. Please see the following document from the VA on study abroad. Chapter 33 Post 9-11 GI Bill® Study Abroad Fact Sheet (pdf).
  • Chapter 35, 30, 1606 and 1607 will only receive their monthly stipend paid directly to them according to the hours certified.
  • Ch 31 VR&E must contact their VA Counselor for approval to study abroad beforehand.