Frequently Asked Questions

Globe UIW Study Abroad logo

See the world from a different perspective! In today's world we cannot focus on our small environment any longer. "Our university must be a place where people learn to become world citizens. We earn the title of world citizen by experiencing it firsthand, not just by reading about it in books," Dr. Agnese wrote some time ago. Whatever your aspirations are for the future and for a career, you need to think at a global level. To compete in world markets, we must be able to work successfully with other cultures. This means that we need a global education; managers, researchers, and producers; plus sales, advertising, and communications personnel must be sensitive to other cultures and to developments throughout the world. Having spent time abroad not only looks good on your resume; it will also change your life! Study abroad is not only an option for a few; it is an essential ingredient for future success and your college years offer the best opportunity to make such an experience. Why not see the world now? There are literally thousands of programs available and the costs of studying in another country are comparable to what you pay in the U.S.

An independent study abroad program describes a student’s participation during an academic semester, or up to a year, at an academic institution located overseas.

Students may participate in an exchange program, which involves an exchange of students between two universities which are bound by an "Exchange Agreement". Students pay tuition to the home school and enroll directly into courses offered by the host partner university. Fees are paid directly to the partner institution abroad.

Students may choose to study at a non-UIW partner institution; however, are required to follow the same process as a student wishing to attend another university for a semester or longer. Students wishing to study at a non-UIW partner institution are instructed to visit the Registrar’s Office and complete the required forms.

Students, who are academically eligible to participate, in any major can study abroad. In order to ensure transferability of courses to be taken abroad, students are encouraged to meet with their academic advisors before beginning the study abroad process. For eligibility requirements please refer to the Study Abroad Website titled Eligibility, under Steps to Study Abroad.

To study abroad, you must have successfully completed 12 semester hours at UIW. Also, you cannot study abroad the semester you intend to graduate. The best time to study abroad is during your sophomore or junior year. Remember, you can study for the summer, a semester, or a full year. Your choice should depend on your course of studies and academic progress.

UIW holds Academic Agreements with more than 100 Sister Schools in more than 40 countries in Latin-America, Asia, Europe, and Africa.

UIW Sister Schools

You are not limited to attending a Sister School, but the advantage is that your courses will more easily transfer to UIW and you will continue to pay regular tuition at UIW.

Foreign language proficiency is not necessarily a requirement. Some schools offer courses taught in English; however, it is to your advantage to be familiar with the language and culture of the country of your choice. Furthermore, studying abroad is the best way to improve your language skills in a language you have already studied.

If you are qualified to receive Financial Assistance, you may continue to receive it while studying abroad.

ContinUIW is intended for main campus undergraduate classes only. As such, this does not apply to international sites.

If you arrive at the host institution and find that one or more of your classes is no longer being offered, simply refer to the classes that you and your advisor have chosen as alternative courses and inform your academic advisor of the change.

That, of course, depends very much on the program itself. In many countries, dormitories as we know them, don't exist. Frequently, the university will indicate the options available (dormitory, host family, apartment). Living with a host family is usually the most rewarding experience.

YES, definitely. Check with your health insurance to know whether or not you are covered while abroad. If not, or if the coverage is not sufficient, the Study Abroad Office may offer suggestions of different insurance companies that offer international health insurance.

The Study Abroad Office is authorized to issue the official International Student ID Card. The International Student Identity Cards are accepted at over 17,000 locations worldwide and offer great savings and great benefits at home and abroad (please check the ISIC card website for most recent information):

Airfare - up to 50% off

  • Lodging - up to 30% off
  • Transportation - up to 15% off
  • Museums & Culture - up to 50% off
  • Skiing - up to 50% off
  • Attractions - up to 10% off
  • Phone Calls - up to 70% off standard international rates
  • Basic accident and sickness travel insurance
  • Free web-based e-mail
  • Phone card service
  • Telesafe Fax messaging
  • Voice-mail
  • Free handbook of worldwide discounts and benefits

The cost of the card is only $25.00 for UIW students and $28.00 for non-UIW students and the validity is for one year. Applications must be submitted with:

  • Two passport-size photos (with name printed in ink on the back)
  • Payment (Cash, check, or money order)
  • Proof of student status and
  • Proof of age (Drivers License and/or Passport

For more information on Study Abroad please contact us at