Find a Program

When Cardinals fly, they do amazing things! The decision to study abroad is one to be proud of, and UIW Study Abroad is dedicated to serving you along your journey. Find your perfect study abroad program by browsing program major, length or experience.

To find the program that fits you best, consider things like your academics, finances, personal goals, location interests and independence level. UIW encourages students to pick programs that keep them on track for graduation, but some students may choose to explore a new subject, expand their knowledge of another language or broaden their experiences while abroad.

Program Types


Faculty-Led Programs are arranged and coordinated by a UIW faculty member who wish to teach their entire course or part of their course abroad. 


  • Scholarships: Yes
  • Internships: Occasionally
  • Independence: Students travel with a group of UIW students, led by a UIW faculty member.
  • Time Length: Students are not away for a long period of time which is ideal for students with family or work.
  • Cost: Low cost with possible high academic, personal and possible professional impact.


*includes all related costs

Average $2,000-$9,000


One week to one semester


Students wanting to study abroad on a Faculty-Led Program must be enrolled students with a 2.5 GPA or higher.

Good academic standing and a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 are required to apply to study abroad on a Faculty-Led Program; some programs stipulate a higher GPA. If admission is conditional, students must satisfy all conditions. If students do not meet the academic requirements to study abroad, including good academic standing, or they violate academic integrity prior to study abroad, permission to participate will be revoked, at the student's expense, even if admission has been granted and travel arrangements have been made.

Faculty may also set their own eligibility requirements based on academic pre-requisites, year in program, language proficiency, and more.


Students need to apply directly with the faculty member or designated contact for the Faculty-Led Program. 


Exchange Programs occur at UIW's 140+ Sister Schools, UIW-Mexico City and UIW-Bajio, as well as UIW-Strasbourg. These programs have set agreements between UIW and the host university.


  • Scholarships: Yes
  • Internships: Occasionally
  • Independence: Students travel, live, and carry-out daily tasks on their own
  • Time Length: Students are away for one to 12 months allowing them to immerse themselves into culture.
  • Cost: Average cost is equal to or less than UIW when compared to students who live on campus.


*includes all related costs

Average $18,000-$25,000


Students may participate in a UIW Exchange Program for a summer, fall, and/or spring semester.


Students wanting to study abroad must be enrolled full-time undergraduate students with a 2.5 GPA or higher. Students may not study abroad their first or final semester and may only complete up to 30 credit hours abroad. Students must meet eligibility requirements at Sister School as well (foreign language skill may be required).

Good academic standing and a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 are required to apply to study abroad; some programs stipulate a higher GPA. If admission is conditional, students must satisfy all conditions. If students do not meet the academic requirements to study abroad, including good academic standing, or they violate academic integrity prior to study abroad, permission to participate will be revoked, at the student's expense, even if admission has been granted and travel arrangements have been made.


UIW Sister Schools will often set their own eligibility requirements as well. Students are responsible for learning and abiding by additional requirements.

Students may apply via the UIW Study Abroad online application which includes in person advising sessions, paper forms, and the online application.


Students may choose to study, intern, volunteer, conduct research, or present at a conference abroad with a non-affiliated business, university, or government program. These are unique experiences that UIW Study Abroad is available to help advise on.


  • Scholarships: Maybe
  • Internships: Maybe
  • Independence: Varies
  • Time Length: Varies


*includes all related costs







Students will need to complete a Request to Study at Another Institution form with the UIW Registrar to credit bearing study and internship programs if they plan to transfer their earned credit to UIW.

All non-credit bearing programs are applied for independently of UIW.

Steps to Study Abroad (Exchange Only)

Do you have your passport? If you already have a passport, be sure to check the expiration date. Many countries require that your passport be valid for at least 6 months after you plan to arrive.

Study Abroad 101 sessions inform students of study abroad basic such as types of programs available, how to apply, and allow for in-person advising and questions.

Affording Study Abroad sessions go into detail on program cost predictions and coverage. Learn more about how your current financial assistance and scholarship can help cover your experience as well as additional study abroad scholarships you can apply for!

Meet with your Academic Advisor to let them know you are interested in going abroad. Together, determine which courses will be best for you to take abroad (electives and core courses are best) and which semester works best with your degree plan.

Be prepared to log-in to your DegreeWorks page to allow the Study Abroad Coordinator to view which courses you still need to take. You may also bring a list of courses provided by your Academic Advisor. You may set an appointment with the Study Abroad Coordinator.

Note: Please refer to the eligibility requirements before scheduling an appointment.

Research UIW Sister Schools, UIW-StrasbourgUIW's two campuses in Mexico and available Faculty-Led Programs to determine which program is most beneficial to your personal, academic and professional goals. 

After reviewing your choices and determining your study abroad goals, you should choose which study abroad program you would like to participate in. Each Sister School has their own application deadline and may have additional requirements. Please refer to the specific sister school website or ask the Study Abroad Coordinator for more details.

Create an account in the online application system. Once you've created an account, UIW Study Abroad is able to view and edit all content you've entered or uploaded.

The UIW Study Abroad Online Application consists of multiple parts:

Applicant Information: Enter your general information, this can be completed before you've officially selected a study abroad program.

Program Selection: Enter your program term and location of choice. 

Policy Agreement: Please read through the Policy Agreement carefully, then sign and date each section. (This can be completed before selecting a program) 

Emergency Contact Information: Please provide at least one Emergency Contact. This person will be contacted in case of emergency while you are abroad. UIW Study Abroad can only provide information during emergency to those listed. (This can be completed before selecting a program)

Upload Documents (PDFs only): 

  • Passport: Upload the photo and signature pages of your passport. 
  • Unofficial Transcript: Unofficial Transcripts can be saved as a PDF from Banner Self Service.
  • Request to Study Abroad Form: This form may take the most time of your study abroad application. It may be obtained during your Study Abroad Advising session with the Study Abroad Coordinator or you may download it from the Upload Documents section of the online application. 
    • Academic Advisor Signature
      • Ensures that the student is taking courses that adhere to their degree plan.
      • Reviews course outlines from the host institution in order to ensure that the courses are transferable.
    • Dean/Department Chair Signature
      • Reviews course outlines from the host institution in order to ensure that the courses are transferable.
    • Financial Aid Advisor Signature
      • Meet with the Financial Aid Advisor to learn how your grants, scholarships and aid will help cover your experience! Bring the Consortium form, which you obtain from the Study Abroad Office to this meeting. 
      • Ensures the student understands how their FAFSA award, personal loans, scholarships, and other aid may cover the experience abroad.
    • Study Abroad Coordinator Signature
      • Reviews the courses and signatures. 
    • Office of the Registrar Signature
      • Your Request to Study Abroad form will be left with the Office of the Registrar and students will not obtain a signature. UPLOAD THE FORM BEFORE turning it in to the Registrar. 
      • Verifies academic eligibility.
      • Determines approval or denial of Study Abroad Process for each student.
    • Student
      • Verifies that he/she will enroll in the courses listed. Should a student decide to enroll in a class not listed on the Request to Study Abroad form, the class is not guaranteed to transfer to UIW.
  • Consortium Form: This document ensures students understand the charges possible when agreeing to participate in a UIW study abroad program. This document is obtained during your Study Abroad Advising session with the Study Abroad Coordinator.
  • Additional Uploads: Use this file upload section to upload any additional documents that are requested by UIW Study Abroad or that you want to keep handy for yourself which are related to your application (visa, travel details (after you're advised to purchase), etc.)

Note: Your request to participate in a study abroad program may be denied, at any point during the process, by any one or a combination of academic or administrative university representative(s) due reasons such as, but not limited to, poor academic performance and/or disciplinary issues. If you have any questions regarding your eligibility to participate in a study abroad program visit with your academic adviser and study abroad coordinator.

Note: Once this form has been submitted to the Office of the Registrar, you will then be registered as a Study Abroad student; however this does not register you for your specific classes at the host university. You will need to register at your host university either by submitting a course request form prior to arrival or during orientation, after arrival.

Transportation Details: UIW Study Abroad advises students to not purchase airfare or transportation for their study abroad program until they've received their acceptance letter from their Sister School. Often proof of airfare purchase is necessary for student visa appointments. 

In this sections please sign and date to note that you understand NOT to purchase airfare or other transportation  to and/or from your study abroad program until you've received the acceptance letter from the Sister School. 

Payment: UIW Study Abroad requires student pay a $300.00 deposit to complete and submit their UIW Study Abroad application. This $300.00 deposit is required to apply to participate in any UIW exchange program․ Failure to pay the deposit shall result in your immediate dismissal of the program․ The deposit is non-refundable after the application deadline․

The $300.00 deposit will be put towards the student's account balance. However, if a student decides to not attend their study abroad program after the application deadline the deposit is non-refundable and not put towards the students account balance. In case of program cancellation by UIW, the $300.00 deposit will be refunded.

After you've submitted your UIW Study Abroad application and it's been approved, the Study Abroad Coordinator will nominate you to the Sister School of your choice. The Sister School will send you instructions to apply as an exchange students from UIW to their institution.

Each host institution has their own application procedures. In some cases it is an online application and in other cases you must submit a physical application. Please refer to the host school website or ask the Study Abroad Office for specific details on how to apply and what documents to submit. It is the student's responsibility to ensure that he/she meets the eligibility criteria for the host institution, and to complete and submit the host institution application.

Once you've completed the Sister School application and have been accepted, you will receive an acceptance letter from the Sister School. This acceptance letter is used to obtain your student visa (if necessary).

You must have a passport in order to travel outside your home country; however a visa is different than a passport. A visa is like permission to enter a country. Each country has its own visa policy. Depending on the country where you are studying you may be required to obtain a student visa. Please refer to the country's consulate webpage for specific requirements.

For more information, you refer to the U.S. Department of State website. Go to the Entry/Exit Requirements section in the Country Specific Information for the country you are interested in.

UIW requires all study abroad participants to hold Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) before traveling abroad. The current rate per month is $48.50 (rev. 05/2019). The Coordinator of Study Abroad will order CISI insurance on behalf of study abroad participants prior to the departure date.

Please note that prices noted on your Consortium form for transportation are based on the average at the time of advising; however the cost of the actual flight and in-country land transportation to/from the airport may be more than this amount. This cost is included in your budget; however, you are responsible for purchasing your flight.

All students are required to attend the Pre-Departure Session prior to studying abroad.

The Pre-Departure Session includes valuable information on procedures, safety, health, culture shock, keeping in touch, and more. During this session, you will be asked to submit required documentation (e.g. passport, visa, flight itinerary), if you have not already done so.

People of support such as family or a friend are welcome to attend. If your emergency contact(s) are able to attend this session, please encourage them to do so.

Enroll your trip with the nearest with the U.S. Department of State. Registration allows the State Department to assist U.S. citizens in an emergency. Benefits of enrolling your trip include:

  • Receive important information from the Embassy about safety conditions in your destination country, helping you make informed decisions about your travel plans.
  • Help the U.S. Embassy contact you in an emergency, whether natural disaster, civil unrest, or family emergency.
  • Help family and friends get in touch with you in an emergency.