Sponsored Projects  |  Pre-Award  |  Post-Award  |  Regulatory Requirements and Research Compliance  |  Policies, Forms, and Resources  |  Grants Administration Offices


Sponsored Projects

Sponsored Projects at UIW

A sponsored project is a program or activity that is fully or partially funded, or sponsored, by an external organization or agency at the federal, state, local, or private level for support of research, instruction, training, service, or other scholarly activities. To be considered a sponsored project, it should meet any of the following criteria:

  • The project commits the University to a specific scope of work
  • A specific commitment is made regarding the level of personnel effort, deliverables, or milestones
  • The project requires that unexpended funds be returned to the sponsor at the end of the project period
  • The project involves institutional cost sharing or F&A recovery

Externally sponsored project awards are made to the University of the Incarnate Word. Therefore, awards and agreements are commitments of the University. The President and/or Vice President for Business & Finance have the sole authority to sign sponsored project agreements on behalf of the University. Any work performed by a faculty or staff member of the University under an externally funded project is considered to be work performed for the University.

  • Commonly Requested Institutional Information

    Official Name

    University of the Incarnate Word


    Official Address

    4301 Broadway
    San Antonio, TX


    Authorized Institutional Signatory

    Douglas B. Endsley
    Vice President for Business & Finance
    Phone: (210) 829-6004
    Fax: (210) 829-3901
    Email: douge@uiwtx.edu


    U.S. Congressional District



    State Representative District



    State Senate District



    Dun & Bradstreet Number (DUNS)



    Commercial and Government Entity (CAGE) Code



    Employer ID Number (EIN)/ Federal Tax Identification Number (TIN)



    Human Subjects Federal wide Assurance


Section Resources

Getting Started: Pre-Award

  • Find Funds

    Start searching for the right funds. If you need help, try the resources listed below or contact Foundation, Corporate & Government Relations or the Office of Research and Sponsored Projects Operations and we will help you to find a match. Visit any of the links below to search for funding sources and calls for proposals which may meet your research interests and needs. For assistance with funding searches contact us.

    Funding Databases

    • GrantForward
      • The University of the Incarnate Word has subscribed to GrantForward Funding Opportunity Search and Recommendation service, which is open to all members of our institution. We invite you to sign up to use the service to keep your awareness of funding opportunities. GrantForward (see quick overview video) helps you find grant opportunities that suit your research needs with a database of grants from over 12,000 sponsors which is updated daily. You can search for grants by keywords and advanced filters, save your favorite searches for new grant alerts, and save your favorite grants to keep track of them. GrantForward also recommends grants to you based on your CV, past publications, and research interests. You can access GrantForward at www.grantforward.com
    • Grants.gov
  • Preliminary Approval

    Submit a Preliminary Approval Form. Your dean or supervisor will need to sign this form, so make sure you've allowed time to meet and discuss the project.


  • Writing the Proposal

    If you need assistance writing the proposal, contact Foundation, Corporate & Government Relations as early as possible to make an appointment.


    Jon Gillespie
    Phone: (210) 829-3948
    E-mail: jong@uiwtx.edu

  • Building and Reviewing the Budget

    Make an appointment with Grants Accounting to review your budget (even before you're ready to submit). This will help you save time later by identifying allowable or unallowable costs in advance. A sample budget template can be used to develop the budget internally, although the sponsor’s budget forms must be used for the final proposal submission.


    Michael Castilleja
    Grants Accounting Manager 
    Phone: (210) 805-3571
    E-mail: micasti2@uiwtx.edu

  • Submitting the Proposal

    Get ready to submit. Attach your submission packet to a completed Final Grant Proposal Approval Form and submit for internal routing by the Office of Research and Sponsored Projects Operations. The form will require signatures from several offices, so please start the process no later than two weeks before your submission deadline. 


Section Resources

Managing Your Award: Post-Award

  • Award Acceptance

    An award to the University from a sponsoring agency is a document which legally obligates the University. An award may be simply in the form of a letter issued by an authorized agent of the sponsor or it may consist of a lengthy contractual document. The UIW President or Vice President of Business & Finance are authorized to accept and execute awards on behalf of UIW. Any questions or revisions before the award is accepted will be discussed with the Principal Investigator and the Grants Accounting Office.

  • Award Set-up

    Upon acceptance of a new award, the PI/PD is responsible for setting up an appointment to meet with the Grants Accounting Manager in the Grants Accounting Office to discuss all materials related to the new award. A New Account Memorandum will be issued by the Grants Accounting Manager authorizing the accounts necessary to administer the fiscal aspects of the award. No expenditures may be made prior to receiving this New Account Memorandum.

  • Monitoring the Budget

    The Grants Accounting Specialist distributes monthly organization status reports to the PI/PD by the 20th of each month. In addition, real time detailed budget information may be accessed through the Banner system. Please contact the Grants Accounting Staff if you have any questions or need additional information. Project accounts should be reviewed monthly by the PI/PD to ensure expenditures are within the grant guidelines.

  • Reporting

    Time and Effort Reporting

    Time and Effort Reports must be completed for all individuals with grant-funded salaries. These reports must be submitted by the end of each semester to the Grants Accounting Office and must be approved by the supervisor and the PI/PD.

    Due dates for time and effort reporting are:

    • Summer – Due Aug. 31
    • Fall – Due Jan. 31
    • Spring – Due May 31

    Financial and Technical Reporting

    The PI/PD is responsible for regularly monitoring the budget. Every six months the PI/PD must review all transactions, especially encumbrances and pending invoices, to settle any unpaid expenses.

    The Grants Accounting Manager works with the PI/PD to prepare financial reports as required by the grant or contract and files them in a timely manner. Reporting schedules vary by agency; both the PI/PD and the Grants Accounting office will maintain an up-to-date reporting calendar.

    Technical, scientific, and programmatic reports of project performance are the responsibility of the PI/PD.

    Copies of all final reports must be submitted to the Office of Research and Sponsored Projects Operations. The ORSPO will maintain files of final reports for institutional evaluation of sponsored projects activity.

  • Award Close-out

    The Grants Accountant or Grants Accounting Manager provides the close out schedule to the PI/PD. The Grants Accountant reviews grant activity with the PI/PD to ensure that all transactions have been recorded and all invoices have been paid within the project term. For Title IV grants (Financial Aid), the Grants Accounting staff reconciles financial aid, finance, and Department of Education records. For other grants and contracts, the Grants Accountant reconciles finance and agency records.

    The Grants Accounting Manager prepares the final financial report as required by the grant or contract and files it in a timely manner. In addition, for each grant and contract, expenditures, receivables, cash receipts, and agency reports are reconciled. The Grants Accounting staff follows up on final cash draws to ascertain that the University is fully reimbursed or that excess funds are returned.

Regulatory Requirements and Research Compliance

  • Financial Conflict of Interest

    All employees of the University of the Incarnate Word are held to the highest standards of ethical conduct. Consistent with Section 7.2 of the University of the Incarnate Word Employee Handbook, UIW employees may not have a financial conflict of interest, direct or indirect, in any contract with UIW. Furthermore, federal regulations require investigators engaged in PHS and NSF funded research to disclose the existence of certain financial interests and require the institution to review those disclosures, determine whether any potential conflicts of interest may exist, and establish mechanisms to manage, reduce, or eliminate such conflicts of interest.

    Each investigator who is planning to participate in PHS, NSF, or other applicable agency funded research must complete and submit to the Office of Research and Sponsored Projects Operations (ORSPO) a Significant Financial Interests Disclosure Form no later than the time of proposal submission. Each investigator who is participating in PHS, NSF, or other applicable agency funded research must submit an updated Significant Financial Interests Disclosure Form at least annually (two months prior to the annual progress report due date), during the period of the award. Such disclosure shall include any information that was not disclosed initially or in a subsequent disclosure of significant financial interests (e.g., any financial conflict of interest identified on a PHS, NSF or other applicable agency funded project that was transferred from another Institution), and shall include updated information regarding any previously disclosed significant interest (e.g., the updated value of a previously disclosed equity interest). Furthermore, each investigator who is participating in PHS, NSF, or other applicable agency funded research must submit an updated disclosure of significant financial interests within thirty days of discovering or acquiring a new significant financial interest. For all other funding agencies that require disclosure of Significant Financial Interests, disclosure shall be in accordance with sponsor requirements.

    For more detail and definitions, see the Financial Conflict of Interest in Research Policy and Disclosure Form.

  • Human Subjects Research

    The Office of Research and Sponsored Projects Operations (ORSPO) administers the human research protection program at UIW. The ORSPO provides administrative support to the University of the Incarnate Word’s Human Subjects Institutional Review Board (IRB). The IRB ensures university compliance with federal, state, local, and university regulations with regard to human subjects research. See the IRB website for an overview of the IRB submission process and the UIW IRB Manual for a full description of the regulations for the conduct of human subjects research, responsibilities of the principal investigator, and the IRB application and approval process.

    Funding proposals for projects involving the use of human subjects are reviewed before submission by the ORSPO to ensure compliance with applicable regulations. IRB approval is usually not required at the time of proposal submission. IRB approval for projects involving human subjects research is usually required before an award can be made and funds can be expended.

  • Animal Care and Use

    The University of the Incarnate Word does not currently have animal research facilities. UIW researchers planning to submit proposals for projects involving the use of vertebrate animals in field or laboratory activities must identify a collaborating institution with the appropriate animal facilities and an active PHS-approved Animal Welfare Assurance. If awarded, an Interinstitutional Assurance will be negotiated with the collaborating institution and the animal work must be reviewed and approved by the institution’s Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) before the award can be accepted and before carrying out any activities involving live vertebrate animals. In this situation, the UIW researcher(s) will conduct the animal activity at the Assured institution (named as a performance site).

    Funding proposals for projects involving the use of animals are reviewed before submission by the Office of Research Development and Sponsored Projects Operations (ORSPO) to ensure compliance with applicable regulations. All Institutional Assurances for activities involving live vertebrate animals must be coordinated through the ORSPO.

  • Laboratory Safety

    The Environmental Health, Safety and Risk Management (EHSRM) office manages the university’s laboratory, biological, and chemical safety programs. For more information on laboratory safety requirements, training, and guidelines, see the EHSRM website.

    Funding proposals for projects involving the use of recombinant DNA, potentially hazardous or infectious biological agents, select agents, and potentially hazardous chemicals are reviewed before submission by the Office of Research and Sponsored Projects Operations and referred to EHSRM to ensure compliance with applicable regulations.

  • Export Controls

    The Department of Commerce’s Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and the Department of State’s International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), prohibit the export of specific unlicensed technologies for reasons of national security or protection of trade.

    A project might be subject to export controls if it involves: shipping items internationally; traveling outside the United States; foreign national collaborators; contractual restrictions; proprietary information; military or space related information, technical data, equipment or software; subjects related to nuclear, chemical, biological, weaponry, missiles, or unmanned vehicle technologies; encryption technology; or research with select agents or other pathogens.

    If University research is controlled under EAR or ITAR, the University may be obligated to obtain a license from the Department of Commerce or the Department of State in order for foreign nationals to participate in the research, research to be conducted in cooperation with a foreign company or foreign colleagues, research equipment to be sent to foreign countries, or research to be shared – either verbally, visually, or in writing – with persons who are non United States citizens or permanent resident aliens.

    Additionally, the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) in the Treasury Department, administers and enforces boycotts against specific countries. The scope of the boycott varies depending on the country and may change from time to time. Full descriptions of all countries currently subject to boycott programs are available here.

    The University is responsible for assisting the PI in assessing the application of export control regulations and OFAC boycotts to specific projects, however, the primary responsibility for compliance rests with the PI.

    Funding proposals for projects involving export controlled data, materials, and/or equipment are reviewed before submission by the Office of Research and Sponsored Projects Operations (ORSPO) to ensure compliance with applicable regulations.

    Principal Investigators have the responsibility to cooperate with the ORSPO to determine that applicability of export controls before starting any research and notifying the ORSPO of any change in the scope or staffing of any research project that could alter the determinations about the applicability of export control regulations. Additionally, the PI must notify the ORSPO well in advanced of sending scientific equipment, including GPS equipment and encrypted software, out of the country. All nondisclosure agreements must be sent to ORSPO for review.

  • Responsible Conduct of Research

    All faculty, staff, and students engaged in research at UIW are held to the highest standards for ethical conduct and are expected to maintain exemplary standards of intellectual honesty in the formulation, conduct, and reporting of research. Responsible conduct of research (RCR) is defined as "the practice of scientific investigation with integrity." It involves the awareness and application of established professional norms and ethical principles in the performance of all activities related to scientific research. Certain funding agencies, including the National Science Foundation and the National Institutes of Health, require researchers receiving funding to complete responsible conduct of research training.

    The University of the Incarnate Word offers training in Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) for those involved in research. RCR training includes instruction on Authorship, Collaborative Research, Conflicts of Interest, Data Management, Mentoring, Peer Review, and Research Misconduct. RCR training is available to UIW researchers via the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) website. Specifically-designed RCR courses are available for Biomedical, Social/Behavioral, Physical Science, Arts & Humanities, and Engineering researchers, as well as Administrators. Recertification is required every 3 years. More information on UIW CITI training registration can be found on the Office of Research and Sponsored Projects Operations (ORSPO) website.

    Funding proposals are reviewed before submission by the ORSPO to ensure compliance with applicable Responsible Conduct of Research regulations. Upon award, the ORSPO communicates RCR training requirements to the PI and monitors compliance with such requirements throughout the award period. If face to face training is required by the funding agency, the ORSPO is available to provide a tuition free course on RCR and will maintain records of attendance for reporting purposes.

  • Misconduct in Science

    Misconduct in science means fabrication, falsification, plagiarism, or other practices that materially deviate from those that are commonly accepted within the scientific community for proposing, conducting, or reporting research. It does not include honest errors or honest differences in interpretations or judgments of data. The University has defined procedures for addressing and investigating allegations of misconduct in science, as outlined in the Policy Statement Relating to Misconduct in Science (Appendix 8 of the Faculty Handbook). All persons engaged in research at UIW, including externally funded research, are subject to this policy.

  • Intellectual Property

    Intellectual property resulting from research supported by a grant or contract with UIW is subject to the University’s Intellectual Property Policy. The Intellectual Property Policy is published in Chapter 14 of the UIW Employee Handbook.

Section Resources

Policies, Forms, and Resources

Grants Administration Offices

  • Office of Research and Sponsored Projects Operations

    Contact Person

    Full life-cycle assistance with:

    • Research and Regulatory compliance
    • Funding searches
    • Internal approvals
    • Peer review 

    Ana Hagendorf, PhD, CRA
    Associate Provost for Research and Graduate Education
    Phone: (210) 805-3036
    E-mail: wandless@uiwtx.edu

    Office of Research and Sponsored Projects Website

  • Foundation, Corporate and Government Relations

    Pre-Award assistance with:

    • Funding searches
    • Proposal writing
    • Preparing application for submission

    Jon Gillespie
    Phone: (210) 829-3948
    E-mail: jong@uiwtx.edu


  • Grants Accounting

    Contact Person

    Pre-Award assistance with:

    • Budget review
    • Explanation of allowable and unallowable costs

    Post-Award assistance with:

    • Budget management

    Michael Castilleja
    Grants Accounting Manager
    Phone: (210) 805-3571
    E-mail: micasti2@uiwtx.edu

Office of Research and Sponsored Projects Operations
Administration Building, Suite 1A
(210) 805-3555