1881 by the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word.
Private, Catholic, Co-educational. 26% of students are Catholic.
UIW, with a beautiful, 154-acre main campus in the heart of San Antonio, has locations throughout San Antonio, South and Central Texas, two campuses in Mexico and a European Study Center in Heidelberg, Germany.
- Average class size: 23 students
- Student-to-faculty ratio: 13:1
Nearly 90 undergraduate majors, minors, and concentrations.
- 10,226 students (including Extended Academic Programs and Mexico City), and approximately 5,827 of those students make up the main campus population.
- 60% of UIW are female and 40% are male.
- Student demographics:
- 50% Hispanic
- 22% White
- 8% African American
- 8% Other/Unknown
- 5% Non-Resident Alien
- 5% Asian
- 2% Two or more races
Fall 2018 Freshmen Profile
- Average GPA: 3.5
- Average SAT exam score of admitted students (math and verbal combined): 1055.7
- Average ACT exam score of admitted students: 20
- Number of Fall 2018 Freshmen Applications: 4,894
- Fall 2018 Main Campus Freshman Class: 822 students
- $29,000 full-time tuition per year
- $32,884 off-campus estimate for tuition and fees per year
- $45,600 on-campus estimate for tuition and fees per year
- Freshmen scholarships for full-time students range from $8,000 to $12,000 per year
- Freshmen from Catholic high schools receive an additional $2,000 per year
- Transfer scholarships for full-time students range from $6,000 to $10,000 per year. In addition, each Phi Theta Kappa member will be awarded $2,000 per year.
- Alumni from UIW may nominate a first-time, full-time student for a one-time $1,000 McCracken Alumni Referral Scholarship. December 1 and February 1 are the deadlines for Spring and Fall terms respectively.
- 95% of students receive some form of financial assistance
- 79% of students demonstrate need
- Gift aid packages are approximately $16,037 per year (for those who demonstrate need).
How to apply
Create a GoUIW account to complete your application here or submit an application through www.ApplyTexas.org.
UIW Main Campus By the Numbers
- Undergraduate population: About 3,958 students
- Housing: 10 residence halls (singles, doubles, triples, suites, and apartments). 42% of freshmen live on campus. Approximately $12,716 per year for room and meal plan.
Priority deadline is May 1st.
- Campus Mission: Supporting the core values of Faith, Truth, Service, Innovation, and Education
Colleges and Schools:
- College of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences
- H.E.B. School of Business and Administration
- School of Media and Design
- Dreeben School of Education
- School of Math, Science and Engineering
- School of Professional Studies
- Rosenberg School of Optometry (Professional School)
- Feik School of Pharmacy (Professional School)
- School of Physical Therapy (Professional School)
- School of Osteopathic Medicine (Professional School)
- Ila Faye Miller School of Nursing and Health Professions (Undergraduate and Professional School)
14 sports for men and women. NCAA Division I, Southland Conference
- Men: Football, basketball, indoor & outdoor track and field, cross country, golf, swimming & diving, tennis, baseball, fencing and soccer.
- Women: Basketball, indoor & outdoor track and field, cross country, golf, swimming & diving, synchronized swimming, tennis, softball, soccer, fencing, and volleyball.
Cheer, dance, and spirit teams.
Mascot: Red the Cardinal
School Colors: Red, White, and Black
Clubs and Organizations
- 94 organizations, 15 intramural / recreational teams, 12 Greek Organizations.
- Campus Ministry, Honors Program, UIW newspaper: The Logos, UIW media: KUIW radio & UIWtv, Performing Ensembles: Army ROTC & Air Force ROTC & more!
Career Services, Student Disability Services, First Year Engagement, Learning Assistance Center, (tutoring and testing services) TRiO, Advising Center.
UIW Students can study abroad in nearly 140 "sister schools" in a variety of 44 countries while earning academic credit hours towards their degree. Various countries include China, Taiwan, Japan, Mexico, Chile, Peru, Australia, Italy, New Zealand, Brazil, England, Germany, France and Thailand.