Students applying for degree-seeking status at the master's and doctoral level must fulfill the general requirements for admission to the University of the Incarnate Word and any special requirements for admission to a particular degree program.
- Evidence of an earned Baccalaureate degree, with an overall GPA of 2.5 or higher, from a degree-granting institution accredited by a national or regional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education if postsecondary education was completed in the United States, or the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor's degree from an international institution that is officially recognized by that country.
- Official transcripts from each college and/or university previously attended. These transcripts must be mailed directly from the college or university to the Office of Admissions at: University of the Incarnate Word, Office of Admissions, 4301 Broadway, CPO 285, San Antonio, Texas 78209.
- At least one of the following as specified by the discipline under program description:
- A nationally recognized entrance test specified by the discipline
- Evaluation by one or more professionals in the intended field of study
- Professional certification or a degree of equal or higher level than that sought from an accredited institution of higher learning
- Letters of Recommendation
Other admission criteria as specified by the discipline may include but are not limited to:
- A minimum number of credit hours in the discipline with a specified GPA minimum
- Other specialized test with acceptable performance
- An interview with faculty or admissions personnel
- A writing sample
Discipline-specific requirements are listed under each program description. Petitions for admission with exception to the published criteria must be recommended by the Program Admissions Committee and approved by the Dean of Enrollment. Exceptions must be documented with an explanation. A copy of this documentation must be included in the student’s permanent file.
Conditional admission may be granted upon approval of the Program Admissions Committee and the Dean of Enrollment. Criteria and the time limit for removing conditions will be specified in the letter of admission.
Please see the Graduate Bulletin for more information.