Next Steps for Admitted Freshman Students

Complete the checklist below to become the newest Cardinal in the Nest!

If you have not completed your application yet, see the application requirements for freshman students.

If you are a transfer student, see the next steps for admitted transfer students.

Apply for financial aid beginning Oct. 1 each year to qualify for state, federal and university grants (UIW FAFSA code: 003578). Visit the Financial Aid page to learn more.

Meet with your admissions counselor to review your financial aid award letter. When ready, confirm your attendance by submitting your $200 confirmation fee to begin the enrollment process. This step does not apply to part-time or non-degree seeking students.

Once you have submitted your confirmation fee, you'll receive an email from the UIW Help Desk within three days to set up Cardinal Apps for the first time. Cardinal Apps is the place to do many tasks such as:

  • Access email
  • Submit meningitis records
  • Complete orientation modules
  • Take classes
  • Get involved at UIW

The email from the UIW Help Desk will have your UIW email and your temporary password. You will also need your student ID (UIW calls it your PIDM) which is on your acceptance letter and in the email you received about your acceptance.

Your meningitis records can be submitted to Health Services through the Med+ Proctor portal in Cardinal Apps. The Office of Admissions cannot accept meningitis medical records.

By Texas State Law, no one is allowed to attend class at a college in Texas unless meningitis records are received and approved for registration ten (10) days prior to the first day of classes. If your meningitis vaccine expires within six months of your college start date, your immunization is considered invalid and must be repeated if you are younger than the age of 22.

Read the instructions on how to submit your Meningitis vaccination record here.

Students must submit the Pre-Scheduling Questionnaire (PSQ) to be registered for classes. The PSQ opens on April 1, 2022 and will be available to students who confirm their attendance and submit their proof of the bacterial meningitis vaccination. The link to complete the PSQ will be sent to the UIW student email.

Since the University of the Incarnate Word is test optional, to be correctly placed in college level math, students not meeting the minimum requirements must take the UIW Mathematics Placement through ALEKS Placement, Preparation and Learning (PPL) to be placed in remedial math course (no credit).

Students who meet the following criteria do not need to take the ALEKS:

  • 550 SAT Math minimum or 22 ACT Math minimum
  • 350 minimum on TSI Math
  • "C" or higher in dual credit Math course

Students can complete the UIW Mathematics Placement through ALEKS Placement, Preparation and Learning (PPL).

Planning to live on campus? Residence hall assignments are on a first-come, first-served basis, so apply today. Please note: The confirmation fee must be paid in order to apply. If you experience any technical issues, contact us . A $225 housing deposit must be on file to process your application.

Admitted students must submit a final official copy of their high school transcript that reflects their graduation date and final GPA before the beginning of the Fall semester. Students enrolled in dual credit courses must also submit an official college transcript. Students should also submit official ACT, SAT, AP or IB scores, if applicable.

All UIW students must have medical insurance. If you are insured by a family plan, please ensure you waive coverage through the University by Sept. 2, 2022 to avoid charges. Visit the Business Office web page for more information.

Resources and Helpful Links

Notes and Reminders

  1. Academic merit scholarships are renewable for up to four years of undergraduate coursework so long as students maintain a satisfactory academic progress and continuous full-time enrollment.
  2. Admission to the University does not guarantee admission to a specific program. Contact the Office of Admissions with any questions.
  3. Admission to UIW is provisional upon receipt of an official final high school transcript, which includes the date of graduation. This transcript is required prior to the start of the term.
  4. It is recommended that UIW students have a laptop for their coursework. Students may purchase a laptop from outside the University, use an existing laptop or purchase one from the UIW bookstore.