Withdrawals and Return of Title IV Funds

Refunds will be determined after the 100% drop date has ended, after funds are disbursed to your account, or 14 days after the first day of class for the current semester, whichever is later. All refunds are mailed to the primary residence address on file or you may submit an authorization for direct deposit (forms are available online at the Business Office webpage).


Withdrawals and Refunds

A student’s withdrawal from the University will be considered as occurring the day she or he submits a completed official withdrawal form to the Dean of Student Success (for Undergraduate students), or the Office of Graduate Studies and Research (for Graduate students). Forms for adding or dropping courses are available in the Registrar’s Office or online. Notice to an instructor or any other office does not cancel registration or a student’s contract with the Business Office.


Students who withdraw during the 100% refund period of the term will receive a 100% refund of tuition and fees. All aid received will be canceled and returned to its source. After the 100% drop date, there is no refund of tuition and fees, and students who have received Title IV funding may be subject to an additional reduction of aid funds. Please see the Academic Calendar for a schedule of specific refund dates.

Meal Plans: The unused portion of a meal plan purchased in the summer or fall terms may be used in the following spring term, but unused meal points at the end of the spring semester are forfeited and not refundable. Meal plans are not transferable. When a resident student withdraws from UIW, the lesser of the unused portion or prorated amount of the meal plan will be credited to the student’s account.

Appeals to Refund Policy

Contact the Business Office for exceptions to the withdrawal and refund policy due to medical or other extenuating circumstances.

Return of Title IV Funds

As a requirement set forth by the Department of Education, the Office of Financial Assistance is required to return a percentage of Federal Financial Aid that was disbursed to students who have completely withdrawn from UIW or have stopped attending all classes (unofficial withdrawal). The amount of aid returned is determined by the following formula:

Number of days attended / Total days in the semester = % of aid “earned.”

Any aid above and beyond this amount must be returned to its source. Additionally, if you receive a partial or full refund of tuition and fees, any State or Institutional grants must be reduced by the percentage of refund you received. Please call the office of Financial Assistance at (210) 829-6008 if you have any questions about the effect of a withdrawal on your financial aid.

Please remember that withdrawals affect your future status of Satisfactory Academic Progress. For more information about Satisfactory Academic Progress, please visit the Satisfactory Academic Progress page.

The amounts owed for a Title IV return will be refunded to their sources in the following order:

  • Unsubsidized Direct Stafford Loans
  • Subsidized Direct Stafford Loans
  • Federal Perkins Loans
  • Direct PLUS loan for Graduate Students
  • Direct Parent PLUS Loans
  • Federal Pell Grants
  • Federal SEOG Grants
  • Federal TEACH Grants
  • Federal Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant
  • State, Private and Institutional Aid
  • Student Payments
  • Parent Payments

Students who withdraw and have received financial assistance must complete an exit counseling session. Students can fulfill this requirement at Studentloans.gov and selecting the “Complete Counseling” link, then choosing “Exit Counseling.” In addition, students who received an institutional loan such as Perkins, Ralston, Nursing, or Faculty Nursing, and are not planning on attending the forthcoming semester or are planning to graduate, are required to complete an electronic exit interview at MyLoanCounseling.com. Please call the Business Office at (210) 829-6084 if you have any questions about the exit for Perkins, Ralston, Nursing, or Faculty loans.

Late Disbursement of Federal, Private or State Financial Aid:

The Office of Financial Assistance will determine the amounts to be credited to the student’s account prior to the refund calculation based on federal or state regulations or private source regulations.

Funds Not Yet Received at the Time of Withdrawal

If a student withdraws before federal funds are received and/or disbursed, the Office of Financial Assistance will determine the amount(s) to be returned according to each funding source guideline. The Office of Financial Assistance will notify the student and the Business Office of any changes. A student receiving financial assistance should meet with a financial aid counselor before withdrawing or reducing hours to determine the impact on the student’s award.