We recognize there are times when student and/or parent tax information reported on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) may not accurately reflect a household's true financial situation. If there is an unusual circumstance that should be taken into account, you may request a review to determine if adjustments can be made.

There are two review processes, so be sure to evaluate both to see which process to pursue:

  • Complete the Cost of Attendance Adjustment Form if you would like eligibility for additional aid for expenses like child care, laptop purchases, or costs for software.
  • Complete the Special Circumstance Form for situations that require a financial review, like reduction of income due to divorce or death of a spouse or a parent, change in household size due to pregnancy, unusual medical expenses or a loss of income greater than 16 consecutive weeks. Prior to starting your review, you will be asked to complete your FAFSA and the Verification Process.
  • How do I submit my special circumstances for review?

    1. Our office must have your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file for the academic year that you are wanting your special circumstances to be reviewed for. The student and/or parent must also utilize the Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) to import tax information into the student's FAFSA application before a special circumstance can be considered. Please note, the Office of Financial Assistance may require the student to complete the verification process before a decision is made.
    2. Submit the Special Circumstance Form (PDF). Additionally, please submit the required documentation indicated on the Special Circumstance Form under the section pertaining to your specific situation. Please note, additional information may be requested by our office.
  • Situations which will be considered for review may include (but are not limited to):

    • Reduction of Income due to divorce or death of a spouse or parent
    • Change in household size due to pregnancy
    • Unusual medical expenses
    • Child care expenses (submit Cost of Attendance Adjustment Form (PDF))
    • Additional educational expenses (submit Cost of Attendance Adjustment Form (PDF))
    • Dislocated worker
    • Loss of income (must have 16 consecutive weeks of income loss to be considered
  • Situations which will not be considered include (but are not limited to):

    • Parent(s) refuse to pay for college
    • Mortgage, rent, car and care insurance payments
    • Tuition paid for private elementary or secondary schools
    • Medical insurance premiums
    • One year bonus incomes (lottery winnings, gambling winnings, etc.)
    • Reduction in overtime pay
    • Reduction in income due to voluntary change of employment (switched jobs)
    • Chapter 7 bankruptcy or reductions in income due to bankruptcy proceedings
    • Unusual expenses related to personal living (wedding expenses, loan payments, legal fees)
    • Home equity, IRA, 403B, and 401K loans
  • What changes in my aid can I expect?

    If a situation warrants an adjustment, the maximum amount of additional institutional aid (if eligible) a student may receive on their award is $1500 in an academic year ($750 per semester). If adjustments need to be made to the student's FAFSA, the Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) will be recalculated based on the information provided to the Office of Financial Assistance, and a new award will be produced based on the new EFC.

  • My circumstance is not listed on the Special Circumstance Form, can I still submit one?

    If your circumstance is not listed on the Special Circumstance Form, and you feel your situation should still be reviewed, please submit the Special Circumstances Form (PDF), a detailed letter explaining your situation with as much information as possible, as well as any supporting documentation to help validate your circumstance