Start a new career in a professional field

The General Education concentration is designed to prepare students who want to concentrate their core work in Education but with a general group of courses either from the Dreeben School of Education as a whole or from another school or college within UIW. If the majority of the work is from the Dreeben School of Education, the degree will be the Master of Education. If more than several graduate courses come from other colleges or schools within UIW, the Master of Arts will be awarded. This open-ended degree plan allows students to select up to six (6) courses that will best suit their needs within an Education focus.

Earn Your Master of Arts or Master of Education

Requirements for a master's degree with a concentration in General Education:

Master of Education Degree Plan

This Master of Education in General Education degree is designed for students completing all coursework in education. The degree requires completion of 36 semester hours of coursework based upon the graduate core curriculum and the area of concentration.

Core Courses (12 semester hours)

  • EDUC 6301 Introduction to Educational Research
  • EDUC 6304 Theories of Learning or ADED 6381 Adult Learning & Development
  • EDUC 6306 Philosophical Foundations in Education
  • EDUC 63CS1 Capstone in Education, or another capstone course approved by the program advisor.

Areas of Concentration within Education (18 semester hours)

Electives (6 semester hours)

Master of Arts Degree Plan

The Master of Arts in General Education degree requires completion of 36 semester hours of coursework, 24 of which must be in education. The degree is appropriate for students applying coursework not designated as an education course. 

Core Courses (12 hours)

  • EDUC 6301 Introduction to Education Research
  • EDUC 6306 Philosophical Foundations Education
  • EDUC 6304 Theories of Learning
  • EDUC 63CS1 Capstone in Education

Area of Concentration within Education (6 hours)

Electives (18 hours)*

  • *Elective courses may be outside Education major

Admission Criteria

Degree-seeking students should apply and provide official transcripts from the college/ university last attended indicating the achievement of a baccalaureate degree with a minimum GPA of 2.5.

Non-degree-seeking students should apply and provide official transcripts from the college/university last attended, a letter from the college/university last attended or currently attending and indicating he or she is in good academic standing.