Frequently Asked Questions

Click on a title below to expand information.

Certification Requirement

  • Degree Plan Requirement: All courses certified to the VA must be required for your degree plan at the time of certification. General electives can only be certified if the credit hours are required to graduate.
  • Repeat/GPA Boosting Courses: If a student successfully completes and passes a course it cannot be certified again to the VA. However, if a student fails the course and the program requires a higher grade than the one achieved, that course may be repeated and certified to the VA again.
  • Course Substitutions: Once a course substitution has received final approval from the registrar’s office, it can be certified to the VA. Please note of possible certification delays with this route.

Added/Dropped Courses

Students must report all added/dropped courses through the Veterans Certification Form on Cardinal Apps. In the event of a drop, please be advised a student debt may occur.

Prior Credit

Students are responsible to submit all official transcripts to the Admissions Office for prior credit evaluation. Failure to submit transcripts on time may require the school to reverse certification for a course where transfer credit was given.

Processing Time

It is our priority to process all students in a timely manner. Once all required documents are received, please allow 5-7 business days to process your certification. Please note that students not meeting the certification requirements mentioned above can experience delays in their certification.

Hybrid/Blended Courses

For all terms beginning on or after August 15, 2019, all courses which combine classroom instruction and distance learning (hybrid/blended courses) will be classified as in-residence training.

Undergraduate Rate of Pursuit

Chapters 30, 35, 1606, and 1607

VA Benefits are paid based on training time. In a standard semester, VA measures training time as follows:

  • 12 hours = Full time
  • 9 - 11 hours = 3/4/ time
  • 6 - 8 hours = 1/2 time
  • 4 - 5 hours = < 1/2 time
  • 1 - 3 hours = < 1/4 time

Chapter 33

Chapter 33 Housing Allowance is paid if the rate of pursuit is more than 50%.

**Student taking solely distance learning in a term will receive half the MHA rate.
**For COVID-19 distance learning updates, please refer to the Monthly Housing Rate (MHA) FAQ.

Graduate Rate of Pursuit

Chapter 33

Chapter 33 Housing Allowance is paid if the rate of pursuit is more than 50%.

Graduate Rate of Pursuit
  Master's Full-Semester Master's 8-Week Professional Ph.D Ph.D. (Dissertation)
Full Time 6 hrs 3 hrs 6 hrs 6 hrs 3 hrs
Half-Time 3 hrs 1 hr 3 hrs 3 hrs 1 hr

Graduate Rate of Pursuit for Summer (This PDF is for summer only)

View the Dropping a Course flow chart here.

View the Hold Process flow chart here.

** Student taking solely distance learning in a term will receive half the MHA rate
**For COVID-19 distance learning updates, please refer to the Monthly Housing Rate (MHA) FAQ


Chapter 33 Post 9-11 and Chapter 31 Voc Rehab will pay required tuition/fees directly to the school. Please check your benefit eligibility and remaining time to determine if full payment will occur.

How is the VA Billed?

Required tuition/fees minus any discounts and tuition/fee specific scholarships are reported to the VA after the 100% drop date.

When is the VA Billed?

Chapters 33 Post-911 and Chapter 31 Voc Rehab are initially certified at $0 to the VA to initiate stipends. Tuition is reported after the 100% drop date. Payment from the VA may take several weeks to arrive.

Can I use financial aid with my GI Bill®?

Yes, you may - please visit the UIW Office of Financial Assistance Reported tuition and fees under the Post 9/11 GI Bill® benefit will be calculated minus any tuition-only scholarships/ aid, but excludes Title IV funds (ex: student loans and Pell grants) The Hazlewood Act (SB639, 82nd Texas Legislature) is available only for students attending Texas public colleges/universities. UIW is a private institution and is ineligible to participate. Visit the UIW Financial Aid website.

Can I receive a tuition discount?

Please see the Business Office Policy on tuition discounts.

Why do I keep receiving a bill?

All students are encouraged to review their bill to ensure charges are accurate and to pay for any cost that are not covered by the GI Bill® such as parking permits, fines, housing, or meal plans. This also allows you to see when the VA has paid.

How do I check the status of my tuition payment?

Refer to the award letter the VA mailed to you – this includes school payments, monthly housing and book stipends, remaining entitlement, etc., call VA Education Services at 1-888-GIBILL-1, or check your benefits online.

Parking Permit

Students parking on campus are responsible to obtain a parking permit from the UIW Business Office. The VA does NOT cover the cost of the parking permit with the exception of Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation Program. The University does grant a parking permit fee waiver for disabled/decorated veterans upon submission of their vehicle registration at the UIW Business Office.

Insurance Fee

All full-time Main Campus students are automatically charged for health insurance.  The cost is not covered under VA Educational Benefits and can be waived by the pre-determined deadline on the UIW Business Office website.

What if I receive a failing grade?

If you fail a class, you will receive what is called a punitive grade for that class. A punitive grade is one that does not count as earned credit, but is counted in determining your progress toward graduation requirements. That means the grade you receive counts negatively toward your overall degree progress. Since the grade does count toward your graduation process (albeit negatively) you are not required to repay any GI Bill® benefits you received for that class. You may take the class again to attempt to receive credit towards graduation, or to raise your GPA, and you may receive GI Bill® benefits to retake the class.

Why did I receive a letter from the VA stating no tuition and fees were charged?

Post 9/11 GI Bill® benefit for tuition and fees will is based on net cost to the student. To meet this requirement:
  • Your certification request will be initially submitted to the VA with $0 cost for tuition and fees.
  • This process will be repeated for each mini-term (Spring I, Spring II, etc.).
  • After the 100% refund drop date for each program (Main Campus and SPS), we will resubmit the certification request with the net cost for the enrollment.
  • Students will receive a new award letter from the VA with payment information included.

What Causes debts with VA Education Programs?

If you decrease your training time (i.e. drop classes, leave school, etc.) and VA has already processed a payment for tuition and fees, an overpayment will occur. When UIW notifies VA of a change, a debt is created against your account. The school will issue any refunds in accordance with internal policy, which may not fully cover the debt with the VA. If the amount refunded by the school does not satisfy the debt, you are responsible for the remainder. If the school refunds money directly to the VA, then VA will credit your account any amount the school refunds.

If UIW refunds money directly to you, you must clear the debt with VA.

A decrease in your credit hours could also result in changes to your housing allowance and books and supplies stipend. If VA has already issued you a payment for the term a debt will be created on your account. You are responsible for keeping track of your tuition and fee account balance and payments. Be sure to review your student business account and ensure the charges are correct and that payments and refunds are processed correctly Contact us to if the certification information does not match your schedule Please contact the Debt Management Center if you receive a debt notification from the VA. The Debt Management Center is the authoritative source of debt collection information. You can reach them at 800-827-0648 or e-mail them at

Can I change degrees while using my GI Bill®?

Yes, please see your academic advisor to change degrees and inform us ASAP. Your school record must be updated before we may certify your new classes

How do use my VA Benefits at another college or University?

Download and submit the  Request to Study at Another Institution form  to request approval of class(es) from another institution; approval signatures are required from your advisor and the Registrar’s Office. If approved for transfer credit, forward the approval email from the UIW Registrar's Office to the UIW Center for VA email:  with the contact name of the other school's VA Office. We will email the student a PDF copy of the approval letter, listing the class(es), term, and chapter of benefits – students may then deliver or email the letter to the secondary school. Students must follow-up with all processes required by the other school’s VA Office.

Are GI Bill benefits taxable?

No. GI Bill® benefits paid should not be reported as income to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), and you will not receive a W-2 from the VA.

The UIW Veterans Tribute stole recognizes and honors our students who have serviced our country. The stole is free of charge to veteran students by the UIW Center for Veterans Affairs. Stoles are given on a first come, first served basis. Please request a stole early to allow our office to order your stole.

Request a Tribute Stole

  • For VA Certification, courses taken abroad must apply to your degree plan.
  • The VA is only billed for tuition and fees required for your degree plan.
  • The VA does not pay any fees specific to study abroad including travel, lodging, host school fees, or third party charges.
  • Chapter 33 Post 9-11 may still receive a BAH and a book stipend according to the hours certified. Please see the following document from the VA on study abroad. Post 911 Study Abroad Fact Sheet.
  • Chapter 35, 30, 1606, & 1607 will only receive their monthly stipend paid directly to them according to the hours certified.
  • Ch 31 Vocational Rehabilitation must contact their VA Counselor for approval to study abroad beforehand.

View the program information for Chapter 31 VR & E (PDF).

View the Chapter 31 Approved Certification Process flow chart.

H.R. 8337 – Continuing Appropriations Act, 2021and Other Extensions Act, extends the special COVID-19 rules to December 21, 2021. Post 9/11 GI Bill students who pursue resident courses converted to an online modality solely due to COVID-19 will continue to receive the MHA rate for resident training. Please visit the VA FAQ page for further information.

The keyword is converted. The course must originally be a resident course converted to an online modality. Therefore, in order to receive an MHA rate for resident training for a term, we advise you to continue to select at least 1 originally offered a resident course within that term.

How to identify a resident course?

You can still identify a resident course even when it is converted to an online modality by section number.

Main Campus and Professional Schools

The section number shows a number to indicate resident courses. A section number ONL (online) indicates an original online course and not a converted resident course.

School of Professional Studies

The section number will begin with AH, NW, NE, and CC to indicate resident courses for the School of Professional Studies. A section # that begins with a V (Virtual) indicates an original online course and not a converted resident course.

If you have any questions or would like more clarification, please feel free to contact our office at or (210) 832-5651. We are more than happy to assist and review your schedule if needed.