Students at the H-E-B School of Business and Administration partnered with the nonprofit service organization Cavalry for its Day of Hope event on Nov. 17.
Cavalry coordinates fundraising events benefiting organizations in the nonprofit, for-profit and education sectors. The Day of Hope was held at the Kelso Art Center on the University of the Incarnate Word campus. UIW students earned up to 10 hours of community service by working the event.
The event achieved the following:
- Sponsored 200 homeless necessity bags that included shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, toothbrushes, floss, deodorant and other items.
- Filled over 100 Christmas stockings for children in need.
- Adopted 31 families for Thanksgiving – 12 for Family Violence Protection Services and 18 for Child Safe.
- Sponsored 20 cleaning bundles for the Humane Society.
- Provided over 300 packages of diapers and $2,000 in baby items to SAMMinistries.
- Provided gifts for the mothers at the Family Violence Protection Services.
- Wrote over 100 letters to wounded warriors.
- Provided over 100 flip-flops and feminine hygiene items to Guadalupe Home.
- Provided gift card to Guadalupe Home to purchase baby items.
- Provided over 200 pairs of socks to Clarity Child.
- Logged over 1,000 hours of Community Service.
- Provided over $1,500 in scholarships to students.
- Helped area small business owners gain sales and much needed exposure.
Day of Hope consists of fundraising and community service projects. Once inside, volunteers took part in six service projects such as stuffing Christmas stockings for children, decorating and filling Thanksgiving meal boxes, assembling cleaning bundles for the Humane Society and more. The work benefits the San Antonio Humane Society, Family Violence and Protection Services, Clarity Children's Guidance, Guadalupe Home and SAM Ministries.
HEBSBA students from the accounting concentration helped to coordinate the event. The Accounting Society and Business Club provided volunteers, as well.