Patient Rights and Responsibilities
As a patient you have the right to:
- Receive quality health care by properly trained and licensed health professionals.
- Be treated with respect and dignity.
- Expect that all communications and records pertaining to your health care are treated
as confidential and consistent with the requirements of the HIPAA Privacy Standards
and Texas Law.
- Receive a copy of and ask questions concerning our Patient Privacy Notice.
- Receive information concerning your diagnosis, treatment, prognosis, and significant
risks in terms you can understand prior to consenting to a procedure.
- Refuse treatment after adequate explanations by your medical provider. However, you
must be informed of the medical consequences of this action.
- Change your provider, if desired.
- Inquire about fees for treatment prior to delivery of services.
- Address complaints and/or concerns through the Complaint/Grievance Form, which will
be sent to the Health Service Director.
- Protected Health Information (PHI) complaints will be addressed by the Privacy Officer.
As a patient you have the responsibility to:
- Give at least two hour notice to cancel any appointment.
- Arrive 15 minutes prior to your appointment time.
- Provide accurate information concerning your past health history, medications, allergies
(including latex), current address, phone number and emergency contacts.
- Respect the rights of other patients and staff. Follow all UIW rules and regulations
pertaining to safety, and general conduct.
- Ask questions regarding your diagnosis or treatment.
- Follow the treatment plan or medical advice, which may include securing personal transportation
from UIW Health Services when unable to drive.
- Call Health Services if your symptoms are not improving or if your symptoms worsen.
- Keep follow-up appointments to ensure good health.
- Plan ahead and be aware of the Health Services' operating schedule.
- Pay for services when rendered.
- Refrain from using your cell phone while in the clinic.
- Supply UIW student or employee identification at each visit.