All new students must apply for admission and be accepted by the University before registering for classes. Students who have not registered for a class since Fall 2013 must reactivate their enrollment status through the Admissions Office.

Applicants for the Undergraduate Program

Students seeking a BA must apply to both the University of the Incarnate Word and the Mexican-American Catholic College. Please contact the Director of the Pastoral Institute for more information.

UIW logo

MACC logo

Applicants to the Graduate Program

Students seeking an MA must hold a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning and have sufficient preparation to succeed in a graduate program in theological and pastoral studies, normally at least 12 semester hours in advanced theology or religious studies. Documented, non-credit studies, such as diaconal formation, will be evaluated on an individual basis upon request. Applicants to the graduate program must submit:

  1. Completed Graduate Application.
  2. Official transcripts of all other previous university level coursework, to be sent to the Registrar.
  3. Three letters of reference attesting to the applicant's academic ability, character, and suitability for ministry. 
  4. A personal letter explaining the applicant's ministerial and educational goals. 

Financial Assistance

University of the Incarnate Word offers up to 50% tuition reductions to Pastoral Institute students engaged in or preparing for ministry, particularly in the dioceses of Texas and especially in parishes in the Archdiocese of San Antonio. Small grants from the Sister Patricia Ann Kelley Scholarship are also available to graduate students, on the basis of need and availability of funds. Applications should be made to the Director of the Pastoral Institute.

The Financial Aid Office assists students with other possible financial assistance, including federal, state, corporate and private grants, loan programs, and payment plans. Students active in ministry may be able to apply for support from outside organizations.  For more information, contact the Financial Aid Office.