Accelerated Bachelor to Master (ABM) Degree Programs provide opportunities for academically prepared and motivated undergraduate students to complete degree requirements for both the bachelor and master degrees simultaneously at an accelerated pace. By linking the curricula of the undergraduate and graduate programs, not only is student knowledge and skill level reinforced, but students can complete both programs sooner and at less expense than if they enrolled in both programs separately. Students accepted into an ABM program are eligible to complete 9 designated graduate hours, which will then be utilized to fulfill both undergraduate and graduate degree requirements. After the completion of the designated hours, students are formally admitted to graduate study.
General Eligibility Requirements:
- Students must have completed a minimum of 75 credits hours in their undergraduate program
- Transfer students must have completed a minimum of one semester as a full-Nme student at UIW.
- Students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00.
Undergraduate students interested in ABM programs should contact the graduate director of the master’s degree program for specific information regarding application materials, deadlines, and managing their formal admittance to graduate studies.
Accelerated Bachelor's to Master's Programs in Communication Arts (ABM)
Accelerated Bachelor’s to Master’s Programs (ABM) are available to undergraduate students who have met the necessary prerequisites as students in the Communication Arts undergraduate program. The three ABM programs, Bilingual CommunicaNon, Convergent Media, and Media Studies, are open only to UIW students who have been admitted to and who have matriculated through the required undergraduate degree plan for the ABM. ABM students will be awarded both the BA and MA in Communication Arts upon completion of all ABM students will be awarded both the BA and MA in Communication Arts upon completion of all coursework hours required in both programs and the Mastery Coursework Requirements.
ABM Admissions Requirements:
Students wishing to enter the Communication Arts graduate ABM program must meet all university graduate admissions requirements.
- Fulfill the following criteria: reach a minimum of 75 hours of undergraduate work in the UIW Communication Arts program and apply as an ABM student.
- Submit a completed formal Graduate Application, available here: www.uiw.edu/admissions/apply.html
- Interview with the Communication Arts Coordinator of Graduate Studies and submit a writing sample to the Coordinator prior to beginning classes. Click here to view the director's contact information.
- Meet your assigned advisor.
- Attend ABM orientation.
- Complete 9 hours of graduate credit and take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) if GPA is between 2.5 and 3.49. GRE minimum scores are required: Verbal Reasoning 147 and Analytical Writing 3.5. Test scores are valid for ﬁve years.
- An ABM applicant with a 3.5 GPA or above will automatically be considered eligible for admission to graduate school.
Accelerated Bachelor of Science to Master's Program (ABM)
In addition to the offered MA/MS Biology programs, an Accelerated Bachelor of Science to Master of Arts (ABM) degree can be obtained if the student is eligible
ABM Admissions Requirements:
- Students should apply by January 30 of their Junior year. Students must meet the requirements for admission to the biology graduate program. Acceptance notification will be sent by April 15
- Complete the undergraduate program for a total of 128 hours. Up to 9 hours of graduate credit may be double counted for the undergraduate and the graduate requirements.
- Students will complete 30 graduate hours required for MA in Biology. Nine of these hours can and should be counted toward the undergraduate degree.
- Senior year will include 12 graduate hours.
- Students should complete 6 hours during summers of the undergraduate program.
- Fifth year—Fall 9 graduate hours; Spring 9 graduate hours and comprehensive exam.