Enrollment and Attendance Policies

A. Academic Advising

The purpose of the Academic Advising Program is to provide effective guidance to students throughout their academic experience at the University. This is achieved by assisting them to discover and/or enhance their abilities, values and interests in the context of a higher education. All new full-time undeclared students are assigned to the University Advising Center (UAC). The Center has a team of experienced academic counselors who work with undeclared students, particularly during those early semesters of their education that are most critical in their selection of a major. UAC academic counselors guide students through the process of choosing a major and collaborate with them to develop realistic academic goals that are consistent with their career plans. Throughout the advising process, UAC counselors attempt to enhance students' study habits, critical thinking, problem solving, decision-making and time management skills.

Students who have already selected a major are assigned to a faculty advisor in their chosen field. They work with their assigned advisor until graduation. To maximize their academic experience, students are strongly encouraged to develop a sound relationship with their faculty advisors and utilize their expertise. This can generate extensive benefits before and after graduation. The most important role of academic advisors is to serve as facilitators who help students identify and assess alternatives and consequences of their decisions. However, the ultimate responsibility for making decisions concerning goals and educational plans rests with the individual student.

B. Academic Load

The traditional number of semester hours for each long semester (Fall or Spring) is 16 semester hours while the maximum enrollment is 18 hours. The maximum enrollment for the summer is 14 semester hours for all three summer terms combined. A minimum of 12 semester hours is required for full-time status for the Fall, Spring, or Summer semesters. During the Fall and Spring semesters, an enrollment of less than 12 hours or more than 18 hours is outside of banded tuition and charges per semester hour will be assessed.

C. Academic Placement Testing Requirements

  1. Academic Assessment

    It is essential that all new undergraduate students begin their academic careers with a strong foundation. To ensure this, UIW places students into the appropriate math and English courses based upon test scores submitted with the application. To view the UIW course placement policy, visit the Admissions website at www.uiw.edu/admissions. Students who have been placed into MATH 0318 and AMTH 0319 and/or ENGL 0312 may choose to take the math and English challenge exams at the Learning Assistance Center. These assessments determine readiness to succeed in the University by identifying students' academic strengths and any needs that must be addressed to gain full benefit of a UIW learning experience.

  2. Competence in English

    All students whose grade in Freshman Composition I or II is below C must repeat the course. Students receiving a grade below C in Freshman Composition I may not register for Freshman Composition II until successfully completing Freshman Composition I with a grade of C or higher.

D. Academic Overload

The student's faculty advisor must approve all requests for an academic overload and forward the request to the Registrar. The Registrar will review all requests and either approve or deny the request based upon factors such as enrollment history, employment, and GPA. Petitions may be considered if the cumulative GPA is above a 3.00. For the fall and spring semesters, enrollments above 18 hours require an overload approval. For the summer term, enrollments above 14 hours for all summer semesters combined require an overload approval.

E. Attendance

In general, students are expected to be prompt and regular in attending classes. Attendance policies for individual classes are set by the instructor and written into the course outline. Although absence from class because of illness or emergencies is unavoidable, excessive absences normally affect quality of achievement and, therefore, the grade. The responsibility for attendance is placed primarily on the students. Students who are unable to attend scheduled classes should contact the University Advising Center. Personnel from this office will provide instructors with an explanatory notification of the absence. Such notice, however, does not excuse the absence, and the student must arrange with the instructor to make up work missed. At times, a student who is participating in an activity approved by the University is required to miss a class. Some examples of such activities are (1) those that a student participates in as a condition of his or her University-sponsored scholarship, (2) a college dean-approved event, (3) participation in a University sponsored athletic competition, or (4) those that are a condition of satisfactorily completing the requirements of his/her major.

No student participating in any such event shall be charged with a specific penalty for missing the class, and any student will be given the opportunity to make up work missed in that class within a reasonable period of time. Instructors may wish to indicate more specifically how they will deal with these circumstances in their syllabi.

The University recognizes that there are activities that may be important to the student. Arrangements for dealing with any class work missed as a result of these activities must continue to be negotiated between the student and instructor.

Instructors may require students to withdraw who miss more than 15% of the scheduled classes through any combination of excused and/or unexcused absences. Students who register for classes and cease attending, without dropping the course or withdrawing from the University, will be charged the tuition for the course and will receive a grade based upon their attendance and all work required.

If you do not attend the class or classes for which you registered, you must drop the class or withdraw from the university. If you do not drop or withdraw, you will be charged for your class or classes and will receive a grade at the end of the semester, whether you attend class or not. It is the student's responsibility to cancel his/her registration if s/he does not plan to attend class or complete the course requirements.

F. Auditing

With the permission of the instructor, University of the Incarnate Word students and persons who have not been admitted to the University may register as an auditor provided there is space in the classroom after all registered students have been accommodated. A course must achieve its minimum size without auditors. All audit registrations are subject to the following conditions:

  1. An auditor may attend lecture classes but does not submit papers, take examinations, or receive academic credit. Auditors may participate in class discussions only upon invitation of the instructor. Permission to audit does not constitute admission to the University. Credit is not granted for courses that are audited and grades are not recorded.
  2. Audits will not be allowed for practice, tutorials, internships, thesis, clinicals, computer or science labs, and similar courses.
  3. Full-time students at UIW may audit one lecture course (3 or 4 semester hours) per semester or one course during the summer without additional tuition. The deadline for changing enrollment in a course from graded to audit status is printed in each semester's Schedule of Classes.
  4. Non-students who wish to audit must complete an Application for Audit which is available in the Registrar's Office, obtain the approval of the instructor, and pay tuition and fees in the Business Office.
  5. Auditors pay 50% of regular tuition for lecture courses; however, full tuition is charged for limited enrollment, private instruction, and studio courses. All course fees are assessed, although other University or non-course related fees are not assessed unless registered for other courses.

G. Correspondence Work

After matriculation at UIW, a maximum of 12 semester hours may be accepted through correspondence work. The discipline coordinator must approve courses taken by correspondence before the work begins. Enrollment in correspondence study during the student's final semester may change the date of graduation if work is not completed and received by the Registrar's Office at UIW before the end of the semester during which the student anticipates graduating. A maximum of 30 semester hours may be earned through non-traditional instruction (through a combination of correspondence, professional certification, or credit by examination). Correspondence work is considered transfer work thus subject to the transfer credit limitations.

H. Independent Study Work

Independent study is defined as one-on-one instruction between an instructor and a student. The purpose of independent study is to provide a study focus in an area of interest common to both student and instructor.

The course number for an Independent Study is 3X98 or 4X98 with the number of credit hours being variable. An "Independent Study Approval" form must be presented when registering for an independent study course. These forms are available in the Registrar's Office and online at www.uiw.edu/registrar. The policies for enrollment in an independent study course follow:

  1. Open to juniors and seniors for study in their major or minor area.
  2. A minimum GPA of 3.00 (cumulative or most recent term) is required for enrollment.
  3. Requires approval of the student's advisor, instructor directing the course, and the school/college Dean.
  4. Enrollment limited to one independent study course per semester.
  5. A maximum of 12 semester hours earned through independent study will apply toward the degree.

I. Inter-Institutional Work

Students who have been admitted to the University of the Incarnate Word may also attend St. Mary's University or Our Lady of the Lake University through an Inter- Institutional Agreement established by the United Catholic Colleges of San Antonio. These courses count as resident courses and count in the student's cumulative average. The Inter-Institutional Agreement form is available in the Registrar's Office. The following policies apply:

  1. No more than 12 semester hours earned through the Inter-Institution Enrollment Agreement will apply toward a UIW degree.
  2. No more than six semester hours earned through the Inter-Institution Enrollment Agreement will apply toward a major on a UIW degree.
  3. A student enrolling at St. Mary's University must obtain permission from the department concerned and obtain the name of the person in the department who approved the enrollment.
  4. UIW tuition discounts are not authorized for inter-institutional enrollment. Full tuition will be charged.
  5. Students attending UIW under institutional scholarships or tuition "trade-outs" for business services are not eligible for this program unless they are willing to pay full tuition for the course.
  6. Registration for these courses obligates the student for the appropriate tuition and fees associated with each course.
  7. UIW staff/faculty/dependent tuition waivers are not applicable at St. Mary's University. UIW staff/faculty will be limited to a tuition waiver for three semester hours at the other institutions. All institutions except St. Mary's University will honor Full/unlimited tuition waiver for employee dependents.
  8. Enrollment in a course may be used by the parent institution in computing financial aid awards.
  9. A student enrolling in a "travel/credit" program may arrange to pay all associated costs to the parent institution, and the funds will be sent to the institution sponsoring the program.
  10. Excluded programs:
  11. St. Mary's University doctoral and law programs.
    1. Our Lady of the Lake weekend and doctoral programs
  12. Approval will not be granted if an equivalent course is available at UIW.

J. Satisfactory Academic Progress

A full-time student who fails to complete nine semester hours in one semester, will be issued a warning for failure to make satisfactory academic progress. In the subsequent semester, a full-time student who has been given a warning and who again fails to complete nine semester hours will be placed on academic probation for failure to make satisfactory academic progress. A full-time student who in three consecutive semesters fails to complete nine semester hours will be placed on enforced withdrawal for failure to make satisfactory academic progress. Appeals will follow the enforced withdrawal procedure.

K. Schedule Adjustment

Once registered, students are expected to complete all courses for which they registered unless they specifically and officially alter their original registration. Students may not attend class without first registering for that class. All registration issues must be resolved by the Friday before finals. In no instance will an enrollment be created for students who complete course work without registering for the class. Registrations may be altered through three processes: adding a class or classes, dropping a class or classes, or withdrawing from the University.

  1. Add Procedure

    After a student has registered for classes, he/she may change his/her schedule by either adding or dropping a class or classes. In each instance, an official form, the add slip, must be completed by the student and approved by the student's advisor. In instances where the intended class is closed, the instructor's and Dean's signatures are also required. No add is considered official until the Registrar's Office receives the approved Add slip. The last day to add for any given semester is printed in the Schedule of Classes.

  2. Drop Procedure

    The drop slip is required when students want to drop a class or classes and remain enrolled in at least one course for the semester. See the "Withdrawal" section for withdrawing from the University completely. To drop a class or classes, the student needs his/her advisor's signature. No drop is considered official until the Registrar's Office receives the approved drop slip. The last day to drop for any given semester is printed in the Schedule of Classes. Students who drop a course or courses before the "Last Day to Drop a Course with a "W" will receive a grade of "W." After this final date, the calculation of the final grade will reflect requirements for the entire course.

  3. Withdrawal Procedure

    An official withdrawal indicates a student's desire to be removed from all classes in which he/she is enrolled for a semester. Students may withdraw from the University without academic penalty through the Friday prior to finals. In this case, the student will receive a grade of "W" for all courses attempted. In no instance may a student withdraw from classes after finals have begun.

    The withdrawal will be considered as occurring the day the student turns the withdrawal form in to the University Advising Center. Withdrawal forms are available from the Registrar's Office. The student must obtain a signature from the Director of Academic Advising before the student's withdrawal will be considered official. Notice to an instructor or other office is not considered an official withdrawal and will not cancel the student's registration or payment obligations with the Business Office. Withdrawals without proper notice may result in failure in all courses for the semester, and the student will be responsible for full payment of all tuition, fees, and other charges.

L. Student Responsibility Statement

In general, students are expected to register for class, attend regularly, and complete the course requirements, for which they will receive a grade. The responsibility for enrollment, attendance, completing course requirements and meeting institutional academic and financial obligations is placed solely with the student.

We consider your registration a contractual relationship with the University and identify your responsibilities below:

M. Study Abroad Enrollment

Students may broaden their educational experiences through enrollment in study abroad in colleges and universities in other countries. The University of the Incarnate Word has more than 80 sister-school agreements with colleges or universities in numerous countries to facilitate enrollment and transferability of credits. Detailed information about the Study Abroad Program may be obtained through the Director of Study Abroad. The following policies apply to enrollment in courses through the Study Abroad program:

  1. Students must be in good academic standing.
  2. Candidates should be junior standing.
  3. Candidates should have a basic knowledge of the language of the country where they will study.
  4. Candidate must receive approval of their academic advisor as well as the Director of Study Abroad before departing to the country where the study is intended or before enrolling in the approved institution.
  5. Candidates must complete the Study Abroad Application six months before they intend to leave.

N. Study at Another Institution

After matriculating at the University as a degree-seeking student, a student must obtain prior written approval to transfer any additional credits from other institutions. The "Request to Study at Another Institution" form is available in the Registrar's Office and must be approved before enrolling for credit elsewhere. Transfer work approved on this form will be accepted and applied toward the degree indicated if the grade earned is a "C" or higher. It will be the student's responsibility to furnish the Registrar's Office with an official transcript reflecting completion of the course work. All institutional policies will be observed when considering all requests to Study at Another Institution. Approval will not be granted if an equivalent course is offered at UIW.