Undergraduate Catalog 2005-07



Residence Halls and Dining Service
Tuition Discounts
Payment Policy
Account Statements and Disputes
Returned Items/Insufficient Funds
Important Notes About Financial Aid Policies and Billing Practices
Withdrawals and Refunds
Appeals to Refund Policy
Funds Not Yet Received at the Time of Withdrawal
Financial Assistance
Types of Assistance Available
Satisfactory Academic Progress
Review Policy
Financial Aid Termination
Conditions for Reinstatement
Veteran’s Benefits
Certification Procedures
Standards of Progress for Receipt of Veteran's Benefits

Tuition and Financial Regulations

The University of the Incarnate Word is an independent institution and receives no direct support from state or federal taxes. Subsequently, all of the instructional and operating costs of the University are paid by student tuition. The difference between such costs and the amount paid by the student is subsidized by income from endowment, grants for special projects, and gifts from alumni and other friends who recognize the value of our educational program.

The University endeavors to arrange loans, discounts, grants-in-aid, employment, and scholarships to enable students to continue in an academic program.


Tuition, fees, and other charges vary from year to year. The exact rates are printed in the Schedule of Courses each semester. They may also be obtained from the Admissions or Business Offices. A non-refundable matriculation fee will be assessed to all new full-time students and full-time re-admitted students.


A one-time housing deposit of $200 is required upon submission of the
housing application. The deposit will be returned to the student from the Business Office when the student makes a proper checkout from the Residence Halls. The deposit will remain on their account with the Business Office as long as they are a resident in the Residence Halls. Residents are responsible for damages that occur in their residence. A $500 cancellation fee and loss of deposit will be assessed if a resident breaks their housing contract during the contract period.

Residence Halls and Dining Service
Students are provided the following options for Campus Housing: Residence Halls include triple, double, and single rooms; Village of Avoca, provides two
bedroom, four person apartment units; ICC II offers apartment style housing units, which, provides single and double rooms. Units in ICC II can accommodate four to six residents.

Food service plans are required for all students residing on campus. Residents are required to purchase meal plans each semester including summer sessions. Food service is provided at three facilities on campus, which include the Marian Hall Food Court, Hortencia’s, and Java on the Hill.

Tuition Discounts*

Tuition discounts are available for part-time/full-time undergraduate or
graduate students who qualify for such discounts such as the Brainpower 60+, Active Duty Military and their dependents, Civilian Department of Defense Employees (no dependents), Retired Military (no dependents), UIW/SAHS/IWHS Employees and their dependents, and University Senior Preparatory Program. Brainpower 60+ discounts apply to any student who is sixty (60) years of age or older. The discount will be applied to tuition only and any other fees associated with enrollment will be the responsibility of the student. Refer to the University Payment Policy located under the Tuition and Financial Regulations. Military and Civilian Department of Defense discounts apply to any student enrolled with the Main Campus Active Duty Military (no dependents) Extended Academic Programs. Those students eligible are Active Duty Military with or without a Tuition Assistance Form and their dependents (Main Campus), Civilian Department of Defense Employees (no dependents), and Retired Military (no dependents). The discount will be applied to tuition only and any other fees associated with enrollment will be the responsibility of the student. Refer to the University Payment Policy located under the Tuition and Financial Regulations. Discounts may vary by University program (Main Campus, ADCaP, or Virtual University).

Tuition discounts are available for any individual who is employed at the University of the Incarnate Word, Incarnate Word High School or St. Anthony Catholic High School on a regular, full-time employment agreement (for at least 75% of the time) as a faculty, administrator, or staff. Employees may receive tuition remission for themselves for undergraduate and/or graduate classes taken at UIW per the guidelines listed in the UIW/IWHS/SACHS Administrator/Staff Guidelines. Employee tuition waiver forms are available through the Human Resources Office. According to the Administrative/Staff Guidelines, the deadline for submission of Employee Tuition Waiver forms is 14 calendar days after the last day to add a course for the term. For further information, please contact the Human Resources Office at (210) 829-6019. The discount will be applied to tuition only and any other fees associated with enrollment will be the responsibility of the student. Refer to the University Payment Policy located under the Tuition and Financial Regulations.

University Preparatory Program discounts apply to Junior and Senior Incarnate Word High School (IWHS) and St. Anthony Catholic High School (SACHS) students. The direct cost to all participants in the High School/University Program varies according to the number of hours for which the student is enrolled at the University of the Incarnate Word. Students selected for this program from IWHS/SACHS will receive an Academic Scholarship resulting in a percentage reduction in University tuition. In addition, they will receive a percentage discount on their high school tuition for each three (3) hour course they take at the University each semester. Discount applies to part-time status 1-9 hours. No discount will be granted for a full-time status 12 + hours.

Students will receive a combined billing statement for their High School and University tuition. The discount will be applied to tuition only and any other fees associated with enrollment will be the responsibility of the student. Refer to the University Payment Policy located under the Tuition and Financial Regulations.

It is the responsibility of the student to apply for tuition discounts. The student and his/her family must apply using the appropriate application form(s) and provide all necessary information to complete each application (i.e., valid identification(s), tuition assistance form(s)) to receive consideration for these discounts. Applications for these tuition discounts should be submitted to the respective departments or the Business Office according to the deadlines posted in each respective semester schedule of classes. No discount(s) will be applied after the deadline indicated in the semester schedule of classes.

All discounts will be evaluated and assessed to the student account after the last day to add and drop a course for the respective term or within stated deadline outlined in the published Course Schedule. In order to continue receiving the discount, the student is responsible to submit a new application and required information to complete the application each session (fall, spring, summer). Prospective students may call the Business Office if they need appropriate forms or more information.

*Students pursing a doctorate (Ph.D) are not eligible for these discounts, regardless if enrolled in a graduate level course. All discounts are subject to change without notice.

Your student financial aid award may be adjusted without notice due to receiving such discount(s).

Auditing Courses

*Auditing courses are available to non-student, part-time or full-time students. Auditors that are non-students or are enrolled in a part-time status pay 50% of regular tuition for lecture courses and any associated course fees; however, full tuition is charged for limited enrollment, private instruction and studio courses.

Full-time students may audit one lecture course (3-4 hours) per session (fall, spring, summer). Any course fees associated with this enrollment will be the responsibility of the student.

Students are allowed to combine their total number of hours within a respective session to determine their full-time status. Undergraduates on the Main Campus are consider full-time with 12+ enrolled hours and a Graduate student on the Main Campus is considered a full-time status at 9+ hours.

If a full-time student falls under banded tuition and the audit class does not exceed a total of 18 hours, no discount will be granted.

*Students enrolled in our ADCaP program will be allowed to audit courses within that program. Audit discounts are not applicable to Virtual University courses.

The deadline for changing enrollment in a course from graded to audit status is printed in the respective Academic Calendar located in the University course schedule.


Payment Options:

  1. In addition to Financial Assistance and Work-Study programs, the University accepts cash, *check, and credit cards for payment of tuition and fees. Payments sent via mail should be forwarded to: UIW Business Office, 4301 Broadway, CPO#291, San Antonio, Texas 78209. All checks must include the student’s name, account number, and specific term to insure proper credit to account. *Drop Box located next to Rm. 190 in Administration Building. The following credit cards are accepted: MasterCard, Visa, American Express and Discover. Credit card payments are accepted over the telephone at (210) 829-6043.

    Secured Web payments for tuition and fees are accepted with your UIW pin number. Log onto: https://cygnus.uiwtx. edu:6091/. If you have already been issued a PIN number you may use this same number to gain access to this screen. For students with no PIN number contact the Registrar’s Office at (210) 829-6006.
  2. The University offers students a Tuition Payment Plan. The student can divide their payment into installments. It is the responsibility of the student to enroll in a payment plan each semester. Failure to remit these payments may result in withholding of credits, transcripts, diplomas, and a late payment fee each month for not submitting tuition payments as agreed. However, this will not exempt students from liability for those charges. Enrollment into this plan may include an application fee.

To enroll in any of the above payment options or for additional information, please come by the Business Office or call (210) 829-6043.

Payment Policy

Registration for an academic term is not complete until full payment for the current and/or prior terms has been made, or until a student has entered into a
payment plan with the University (see payment options listed above). Payment arrangements must be finalized by the eighth class day from the first class day of the semester. Students may have their registration cancelled at that time if payment arrangements have not been completed.

All International students are required to pay the full semester’s tuition and fees upon registering each semester. International students will not be allowed to enroll in a payment plan.

Students who have not met their total financial obligations to the University may not be permitted to enroll for a subsequent academic term and current registration is subject to cancellation.

Withdrawal without proper notice entails failure in all courses for the semester, and the student is held liable for the full payment of tuition, fees, and other charges.

Students must pay their financial obligation to the University to have diplomas and transcripts released. In addition, if payment is not made in full, students may be prohibited from participating in the graduation ceremony.

The student agrees to assume liability for any debt incurred during his/her attendance at the University. In the event of a delinquency or default, the student will pay all reasonable costs of collection including but not limited to attorney fees and necessary court costs. All fees are subject to change without notice.

Account Statements and Disputes

The University will send each student a statement of the student account on a monthly basis. The statement will serve as a full accounting of the student
account activity for the period. Each student must review the statement
promptly and notify the Business Office immediately at the telephone
number or address provided on the statement of any errors or omissions in the
statement. If any student does not receive a statement when it is due, the
student should notify the Business Office promptly. Students are responsible to provide the University with the most current address and telephone number.

Any student must report any disputed items to the Business Office within 60 days after the disputed items appears on the student’s statement. If the student fails to report a disputed item, he/she may not claim any liability on the part of the University in connection with the University’s handling of the item (items) in dispute. Before the University will consider making a refund or credit to the student because of a claimed discrepancy, the student must give the University a written statement containing any reasonable information the University may require (i.e. name, social security number, term, and discrepancy)

Returned Items/Insufficient Funds

When the bank for whatever reason returns a check, a nonrefundable returned check service charge is assessed. The student is given ten days from the date of notice to make full payment by cash, money order, or cashier’s check. Once the
student has had returned checks, the University reserves the right not to accept any personal checks from the student for future payments. Returned checks not paid will be submitted for collections.

Student Health Insurance

All full-time Domestic students and all International Students are required to participate in the student accident and sickness insurance plan, unless proof of existing personal domestic coverage is presented and a waiver is signed and presented to the Business Office. This plan protects students 24 hours a day, whether at home, school, or while traveling. The insurance plan is also available for dependents. This coverage is in effect during the interim vacation periods. Participation in intercollegiate athletics is not covered. Brochures that describe student health insurance cost and coverage details are available from the Office of Health Services, Business Office or by logging on to: http://www.uiw.edu/busoff/insurance.htm.

Insurance must be waived on or before the stated waiver deadline published in the respective course schedule.

Note: Insurance is automatically assessed against the student’s account. the charges will not be removed unless a waiver and proof of insurance are provided to the Business Office within the stated waiver deadline.

Students currently enrolled in any University term(s) can purchase UIW
students insurance for themselves and/or their *dependents at anytime from the Business Office during the academic school year. If charges do not appear on your student statement it reflects no insurance premium has been submitted on your behalf.

*Individual student insurance must be purchased prior to availability for dependent coverage.


All automobiles or motorcycles parked on campus must be registered with the Business Office.

In order to park on campus, students must pay a parking fee that entitles them to obtain and display a parking decal. Parking fees are automatically assessed to a student’s account. To waive charges, a student must complete a waiver form on or before the stated waiver deadline published in the respective course schedule. A lost or stolen permit must be reported immediately to the University police. You can obtain a new parking decal at the Business Office, the fee for a replacement permit is the full-time charge for the respective semester. Failure to exhibit a decal will be cause for ticketing. Incarnate Word High School and St. Anthony Catholic High School decals are valid parking credentials at the University. Parking regulations will be strictly enforced. Violators will be ticketed and charged. A repeat violation may result in the immobilizing or towing of the vehicle at the owner’s expense.

The University will not be responsible for automobiles parked on campus, or for damages thereto. The University assumes no responsibility for the condition of, or cost for retrieval of, any vehicle towed due to parking violations.

The following records must be presented to the Business Office to release your decal:

1. A valid driver’s license; 2. A copy of your vehicle registration (i.e. renewal of license plates receipts from the Tax Assessor/Collector).

* The following applies for individuals with a handicap placard:

1. Present your original letter issued by the state or the placard (decal);
2. A valid driver’s license;
3. A copy of the vehicle registration.

* These students must still register their vehicle and pick up a UIW Handicap Decal at the Business Office.


1. The aid package you receive is based on information currently on file with the Financial Assistance Office. If any of the following occurs, your aid package will be revised and/or nullified:

A. Change or reduce semester hours
B. Drop housing status and/or meal plan<
C. Receive grants, scholarships, or other aid from any source not on file with the Financial Assistance Office
D. Not maintaining satisfactory academic progress as defined by
Federal Financial Aid regulations. See the Office of Financial Assistance or log on to www.uiw.edu and go to the financial assistance web page for more details.

Please check with the Financial Assistance Office about the impact of these or other changes as they might have a serious impact on the aid you receive.

2. It is the responsibility of the student to apply for financial aid every award year. The University does not arrange financial aid for the student. It is the student and his/her family who must apply using the appropriate form(s) to receive consideration for financial aid, whether offered by a federal agency or a lending institution. Applications for financial assistance should normally be submitted by the student prior to the April 1 priority deadline for the coming school year in order to insure availability of funds. Prospective students may call the Financial Assistance Office if they need appropriate forms or more information.

Withdrawals and Refunds

A student’s withdrawal from the University will be considered as occurring the day he or she submits a completed official withdrawal form to the University Advising Center. Forms for adding or dropping courses are available in the Registrar’s Office or on-line. Notice to an instructor or any other office does not cancel registration or a student’s contract with the Business Office.


Depending upon a student’s financial assistance status, one of the following two categories of refund policies will apply:

A. Non-title IV Student-Students not receiving any federal financial aid.
B. Title IV Student-Students attending and receiving federal financial aid. Students will be refunded tuition and fee charges based on the
percentages outlined in the Semester Schedule of Courses. If students have received federal aid during the semester and withdraw from all
courses within the first 60% of calendar days of the semester, the Office of Financial Assistance will return the unused portion of federal aid funds disbursed based on the guidelines established by the Department
of Education.

Please see the Semester Schedule of Courses for the specific withdrawal dates for each individual semester and their percentages. There is a refund schedule for Non-Title IV recipients and Title IV recipients.

Meal Plans: The unused portion of a meal plan purchased in the Summer and Fall term may be used in the following Spring term. Unused meal points at the end of the Spring semester are forfeited and not refundable. Meal plans are not
transferable. When a resident student withdraws from the University, the lesser of the unused portion or prorated amount of the meal plan will be credited to the
student’s account.

Unused federal aid will be returned in the following manner as applicable:

• Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loans
• Subsidized Federal Stafford Loans
• Federal PLUS Loans
• Federal Perkins Loans
• Federal Pell Grants
• Other Federal Aid

Late Disbursement of Federal Loans and Grants, Private, or State financial aid:

The Financial Assistance Office will determine, based on federal or state regulations or private source regulations, the amounts to be credited to the student’s account prior to the return of Title IV calculation.
Examples of refund calculations are available in the Business Office.

Appeals to Refund Policy

Contact the Business Office for exceptions to the withdrawal and refund
policy due to medical or other extenuating circumstances.

Funds Not Yet Received at the Time of Withdrawal
If a student withdraws before federal funds are received and/or disbursed, the Office of Financial Assistance will determine the amount(s) to be returned
according to each funding source guideline. The Office of Financial Assistance will notify the student and the Business Office of any changes.

A student receiving financial assistance should meet with a financial aid
counselor before withdrawing or reducing hours to determine the impact on the
student’s award.

Financial Assistance

The University of the Incarnate Word Office of Financial Assistance has a proven history of making the University experience accessible for students of all economic backgrounds. Students selecting our small class environment, personalized instruction, and quality academic programs are making a lifetime investment. The University is committed to helping students fund their decision to attend the University of the Incarnate Word through grants, scholarships, work opportunities, and loan assistance.

The primary purpose of student financial assistance is to provide resources to students who would otherwise be unable to pursue a post-secondary education. Financial assistance programs are designed to supplement a family’s efforts to meet educational costs. The financial assistance philosophy at the University is to meet the direct costs or financial need of all eligible students until funds are exhausted.

To be considered for most types of financial assistance at the University of the Incarnate Word, students must complete their financial assistance file each year. A completed file includes a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), a UIW Student Information Form and any other documents required by the Federal government. A student must also be accepted by the University and enrolled in a degree-seeking program. (NOTE: Gift assistance is NOT available to second-degree seeking students.) In most cases, only students who are citizens or eligible non-citizens can apply for financial assistance.

Students applying for financial assistance are considered for all programs for which they are eligible, including federal, state, and institutional programs. Financial assistance is awarded on a first come, first serve basis. Therefore, it is important to begin the application process as early as possible. Copies of the FAFSA and the UIW Student Information Form may be obtained from the Office of Financial Assistance. (NOTE: There is an April 1 priority deadline every year for early awarding when gift funds are at their optimal level.)

Types of Assistance Available

See the Office of Financial Assistance or refer to the Financial Assistance Page on the University website at www.uiw.edu/finaid for specific information concerning all financial assistance programs offered at the University.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

The Higher Education Amendment of 1965, as amended, mandates institutions of higher education to establish minimum standards of “Satisfactory Academic Progress” for students receiving financial aid. UIW makes its standard applicable to all federal, state, and institutional financial assistance programs for the purpose of maintaining a consistent policy for all students receiving financial aid.

To make Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), students must meet all of the
following standards:

1. Academic Standards
Students must maintain a cumulative GPA minimum requirement at the end of each academic year for all credit hours attempted at UIW (Undergraduates 2.0; Graduate students 3.0). If the cumulative GPA drops below the minimum requirement, the student will no longer be eligible for financial aid.

2. Maximum Time Frames
The number of credit hours a student attempts may not exceed 125% of the number of credit hours required for graduation in his or her program of study, as published in the University Bulletin. That is, if the published number of hours required for graduation is 128, a student may not attempt more than 160 credit hours (128 x 1.25 = 160) and continue to receive financial aid. All periods of enrollment must be considered, even those for which the student did not receive financial aid, as well as hours transferred in from another school. If the number of attempted hours reaches 125% of the hours required for graduation, the student will no longer be eligible for financial aid.
Attempted hours include all registered hours per semester whether or not the student earns a grade or receives credit. The following are considered hours attempted, but not completed:

a. “F” grades for undergraduate students
b. “D” or “F” grades for graduate students
c. “AU” Audited courses
d. “W,” or “IP” grades

Completed hours include all semester hours for which the student earns a grade:

a. “A” through “D” grades for undergraduate students
b. “A” through “C” grades for graduate students
c. “P” passing with credit
d. All transfer hours accepted for credit

3. Enrollment Status
During the academic year (Fall and Spring) a student who receives financial aid must successfully complete a minimum of 75% of all attempted coursework. If the number of completed hours drops below 75% of attempted hours, the student will no longer be eligible for financial aid.

a. If a student attempts (registers for) 30 credit hours in an academic year, he or she must complete a minimum of 22 credit hours (75% x 30 = 22.5 = 22) in order to make SAP for the year. NOTE: All partial credit hours will be rounded down to the nearest hour.
b. If a student attempts 36 credit hours, he or she must complete a minimum of 27 credit hours (75% x 36 = 27) to be making SAP.
c. If at the end of the second year a student has attempted 60 credit hours, he or she must have completed a minimum of 45 credit hours (75% x 60 = 45) to be making SAP.


At the end of each Academic Year (Spring semester), the Office of Financial Assistance will review the progress of each financial aid recipient for SAP. Students will be reviewed to ensure that they are meeting the following criteria:

  1. Cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher (undergraduates) or, cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher (graduate students).
  2. Successful completion of at least 75% of all attempted coursework for all periods of enrollment (cumulative) even those for which the student did not receive financial aid.
  3. Total attempted hours does not exceed 125% of the published length of the program of study.


In the event that the student does not meet the requirements for SAP, he or she will be placed on Financial Aid Termination. This means that the student will not be eligible for any type of federal, state, or institutional aid until he or she has returned to Satisfactory Academic Progress.


Students whose eligibility for financial aid has been terminated may appeal the decision in writing to the Director of Financial Assistance if they believe that they had extenuating circumstances which led to their unsatisfactory progress. The director will notify the student in writing of the decision.

Appeals for the reinstatement of financial aid eligibility must include:

  1. The student must complete the Termination Form available in the Office of Financial Assistance.
  2. A letter from the student documenting the extenuating circumstances; for example, personal illness, medical problems, or death in the family. This letter should provide a detailed explanation of the situation. If the student has exceeded the maximum time frame and is appealing based on a change of major, he or she should state the reason for the change and submit a new program of study or degree plan which indicates the number of hours remaining to be taken in the new major. The student must also provide a statement from his or her academic advisor indicating the number of credit hours from the previous major that will apply to the new major. This information can be included on the Termination Review Form.

Students who have been placed on Financial Aid Termination because they do not meet the GPA or Enrollment Status requirement may do the
following if they decide not to appeal, or if their appeal is not approved:

  1. Students may attend UIW during a semester or summer term without financial assistance.
  2. Apply for various alternative loan programs available to help meet the costs of tuition.


Degree programs described in this bulletin have been approved for benefits under the various laws commonly referred to as the GI Bill. Eligible veterans and dependents should contact the VA Certifying Official for assistance in following established degree programs that will meet all VA requirements. Benefits are paid directly to the veteran.

Certification Procedures

Official transcripts of all previous University credits must be on file and evaluated toward a specific degree objective before the enrollment can be certified. Only courses that are required for the selected degree objective will be certified for benefits. All students applying for veteran’s benefits must complete the University of the Incarnate Word Request Form for VA Enrollment Certification each semester. This form may be obtained from the VA Certifying Official in the Registrar’s Office or on-line. Enrollment will be certified following registration for each semester. After initially registering for courses, it is the student’s responsibility to notify the VA Certifying Official of any subsequent change in registration.

Standards of Progress for Receipt of Veteran’s Benefits

Veteran’s regulations require that a student receiving veteran’s educational benefits select an approved degree objective (degree program) and make satisfactory progress toward completion of that objective or risk the possible suspension of benefits. Veterans must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress according to the policies of the University of the Incarnate Word. When a student has failed to maintain prescribed standards of progress, the VA Office will be informed and benefits payments will be discontinued. In general, accumulative 2.0 GPA is required for graduation. Veterans who earn a cumulative GPA of less than a 2.00 will be placed on probation and given one semester to achieve the 2.00 requirement. Failure to obtain a cumulative 2.0 GPA at the end of the probationary semester will usually result in suspension of benefits.