Save the Date!
Walk-in Training sessions:
Blackboard Walk-In Training Sessions: Monday, January 6, and Tuesday, January 7, 10:00 am – 2:00 pm, AD212: There will be some significant upgrades to Blackboard over the Christmas break. The Instructional Technology team will be on hand for demonstrations and how-to sessions. Upcoming Blackboard improvements include:
- Test availability
- Test result and feedback options
- Group management
- Inline grading for wikis, blogs and discussions
- Grade Center improvements
- Date management
Come over to AD 212 any time between 10:00 am and 2;00 pm. No appointment necessary!
Blackboard Walk-In Training Session: Wednesday, May. 7, 10:00 am – 2:00 pm, AD212: Get ready for the end of the semester with the Instructional Technology team. As always, no appointment needed.
User’s Group Meetings:
The iPad and Blackboard User’s Groups were formed to demonstrate iPad apps and Blackboard tools that have been designed for teaching and learning. iPad and Blackboard learn, as well as share experiences and best practices regarding the integration of these apps and tools.
User’s Group meetings and demonstration sessions are scheduled on Fridays from noon to 1:00 pm throughout the semester. All are welcome to join either user’s group and attend demonstration and training sessions. Contact Terry Peak at firstname.lastname@example.org, to become a member or register for a training session.
iPad User’s Group:
Join us for demonstrations and training on the following iPad Apps:
- Friday, January 31, noon – 1:00 pm, GB212. Dr. Zhanbo Yang will be on hand to demonstrate the latest apps for math and science.
- Friday, February 28, noon – 1:00 pm, GB212. Apps TBA. Please contact Terry Peak, if you would like to demonstrate a new app to your colleagues.
- Friday, March 28, noon – 1:00 pm, GB212. Apps TBA. Please contact Terry Peak, if you would like to demonstrate a new app to your colleagues.
Blackboard User’s Group:
Join us for demonstrations and training on the following Blackboard tools:
- Friday, February 14, noon – 1:00 pm, GB212. An overview of Blackboard’s new Discussion Board:
- Instructors now can require students to first post to a forum before they can see other students’ posts.
- All of the posts in a thread are now visible at the same time on one page.
- When replying to a post, the response appears on the same page, in the context of the discussion.
- Friday, February 21, noon – 1:00 pm, GB212. Date Management. When instructors use a previous course’s content & settings as the basis for a new course using the Course Copy tool, Date Management gives instructors the ability to enable Blackboard to automatically “shift” dates in a course in a highly efficient way. The instructor sees all the dates in one place, and can further validate and tweak dates in a single user interface, which greatly streamlines this process.
- Friday, March 21, noon – 1:00 pm, GB212. Inline Grading. See how the Grade Center’s Inline Grading Tool may now be used to seamlessly assess Blackboard Wikis, Blogs, Journals and the Discussion Board.
Flipping the Classroom Mini Session; March 11, 12, & 13, Lib230. Join us for a three-day seminar that will teach you the concepts of the Flipped Classroom. Over three days, you will learn about the vast numbers of tools available for creating and managing a flipped classroom. Topics will include:
- Course organization, structure and modules
- Wikis, blogs, & journals
- Story boarding
- UIW’s video production tools: Lecture Capture, Kaltura, and Camtasia
2014 Tech Fair
Wednesday, April 9; 10:00 am – 4:00pm. Marian Hall Ballroom
The UIW Tech Fair will be bigger and better than ever in 2014. Stay tuned to The Word Today for more details.
Web Development Training
Need help uploading an image to your website? Or perhaps, linking a PDF document to your home page? The Office of Web Development is offering Adobe Contribute and WordPress training classes this semester to UIW web content editors seeking a refresher in maintaining their unit/department websites. Each course will run two hours. The first hour will cover the basics, while the second hour will cover more advanced topics. For more information, please contact Joe Vasquez at x5815 or email@example.com.
Training dates TBA
For reservations contact Terry Peak at firstname.lastname@example.org
Look for details in upcoming issues of The Word Today