UIW’s Compliance Plan for the HEOA’s P2P File Sharing Requirements
The Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008 (HEOA) includes provisions that are designed to reduce the illegal uploading and downloading of copyrighted material through peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing. These provisions include requirements that:
- Institutions certify to the Secretary of Education that they have developed plans to “effectively combat” the unauthorized distribution of copyrighted material.
- Institutions make an annual disclosure that informs students that the illegal distribution of copyrighted materials may subject them to criminal and civil penalties and describes the steps that institutions will take to detect and punish illegal distribution of copyrighted materials.
- Institutions publicize alternatives to illegal file sharing.
UIW currently employs bandwidth-shaping technology to prioritize network traffic. We limit the amount of bandwidth available to P2P applications but we do not filter such applications since much of the traffic is legal.
UIW responds promptly to legitimate notices or letters of illegal copyright infringement based on the requirements of Digital Millennium Copyright Act and sent to our DMCA agent address. This procedure is detailed on the UIW Copyright Information page.
Annual Disclosure and Education
UIW view education as the most important element in combating illegal sharing of copyrighted materials. We use a wide variety of methods to inform our community about the law and UIW’s response to copyright infringement claims:
- In order to use UIW computing resources, all members of the UIW Community agree to abide by the UIW Responsible Use of Computing Resources Policy that includes a section on copyright compliance.
- Each year UIW participates in the October Cyber Security Awareness campaign which includes information on copyright law and illegal file sharing.
Offering Alternatives to Illegal File Sharing
UIW does not block access from campus to legitimate sources of copyrighted material. Although we cannot maintain an up-to-date list of alternatives we point students to the Educause list at http://www.educause.edu/legalcontent.
Maintenance of this Plan
UIW will review this plan each year to insure it is current and maintains the appropriate and necessary information to effectively combat illegal file sharing.