Criteria and Process
Established by the Faculty Senate in Fall 2004 upon the recommendation
and support of President Dr. Lou Agnese, this annual award acknowledges
and rewards an individual who exemplifies excellence in teaching that
leads to student engagement. Announcement of the recipient
of this award will occur at the Faculty Appreciation
Eligibility and Criteria
- To be eligible for this award, the nominee must be teaching full
time in the semester nominated and nominated on the official
- The primary characteristic the judges will consider is “an
extraordinary dedication to teaching,” which should be demonstrated
by excellence in the following areas:
- Impact and involvement with students
- A teaching approach that encourages student engagement
- Nominees may be submitted by colleagues, current students, or alumni. Nomination
forms are available on-line at the UIW web site or on paper from the
Faculty Senate via e-mail attachment.
- Nominations must be accompanied by a rationale stating why the nominee
is deserving of the award. Without this rationale, the nomination
will be ineligible.
- Nominations may be submitted online or to the Office of the Provost (Box 301) or e-mailed to email@example.com with the Subject: Presidential Teaching Award Nomination.
- Nominations open February 1, 2014, and close February 28, 2014.
- Nominations will be forwarded to the Senate Executive Committee who
will check for eligibility, collate nominations, and notify all those
nominated so that they may complete the candidacy process if they wish
to do so.
- Each candidate must submit a current vita and a short statement (no
more than two pages) addressing the following areas:
- Teaching philosophy
- Methods to engage students
- Examples of professional accomplishments of which you are most
- Nominee materials must be submitted to the Provost's office by March
20, 2014. Only complete packets will be forwarded for review.
- A selection committee comprised of the Provost, a Representative
from the Office of Mission and Ministry, and the Past Piper Professor
(Texas) Awardees, and the recipient(s) of this award will review
all nominee materials. The
chairperson of this committee will be a faculty member selected by
the committee at its first meeting.
- The committee will review all submitted files and will forward three
names to the President for final selection.
- Announcement of the final selection will be made at the Faculty Appreciation
Luncheon on April 23, 2014.
The individual awarded the Presidential Teaching Award will receive $5,000,
a stipend given by Dr. Agnese. Like other such awards, this award
is presented to an individual once; recipients become members of the
Selection Committee in succeeding years.
2005 - Dr. Roger Barnes
2006 - Mr. William Gokelman
2007 - Dr. Neeta Singh
2008 - Dr. William Carleton
2009 - Ms. Teresa M. Tiggeman
2010 - Dr. Paul M. Lewis
2011 - Dr. Lydia Andrade
2012 - Dr. Jessica C. Kimmel
2013 - Dr. Douglas A. Gilmour