The annual Presidential Teaching Award acknowledges an individual who exemplifies
excellence in teaching that leads to student engagement. Announcement of the recipient
of this award will occur at the Faculty Appreciation Luncheon in April.
Eligibility and Criteria
- To be eligible for this award, the nominee must be teaching full time in the semester
nominated and nominated on the official Nomination Form.
- The primary characteristic the judges will consider is “an extraordinary dedication
to teaching,” which should be demonstrated by excellence in the following areas:
- Impact and involvement with students
- A teaching approach that encourages student engagement
- Nominations may be submitted online using the nomination form available at the UIW web site.
- Nominations must be accompanied by a rationale stating why the nominee is deserving
of the award. Without this rationale, the nomination will be ineligible.
- Nominations open February 3, 2017, and close February 28, 2017.
- Each candidate must submit a current vita and a short statement (no more than two
pages) addressing the following areas:
- Teaching philosophy
- Methods to engage students
- Examples of professional accomplishments of which you are most proud
- Nominee materials must be submitted to the Provost's office by Tuesday, March 21,
2017. Only complete packets will be forwarded for review.
- The selection committee comprised of the Provost and past recipients of this award
will review all nominee materials. The chairperson of this committee will be selected
by the committee at its first meeting.
- The committee will review all submitted files and will forward three names to the
President for final selection.
- Announcement of the final selection will be made at the Faculty Appreciation Luncheon
on April 18, 2017.
The recipient of the Presidential Teaching Award receives a $5,000 stipend and framed
certificate presented by the President. Like other such awards, this award is presented
to an individual once; recipients become members of the Selection Committee in succeeding
2005 - Dr. Roger Barnes
2006 - Mr. William Gokelman
2007 - Dr. Neeta Singh
2008 - Dr. William Carleton
2009 - Ms. Teresa M. Tiggeman
2010 - Dr. Paul M. Lewis
2011 - Dr. Lydia Andrade
2012 - Dr. Jessica C. Kimmel
2013 - Dr. Douglas A. Gilmour
2014 - Dr. Brian McBurnett
2015 - Dr. Scott Ditloff
2016 - Dr. Laura Munoz