The formal names of the colleges and schools of the University of the Incarnate Word
are presented as the full name capitalized with no ampersand in place of and:
- College of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences
- Dreeben School of Education
- Feik School of Pharmacy
- H-E-B School of Business and Administration
- Ila Faye Miller School of Nursing and Health Professions
- Rosenberg School of Optometry
- Division of Extended Academic Programs - Adult Degree Completion Program
- Office of Research and Graduate Studies
- School of Mathematics, Science and Engineering
- School of Media and Design
- School of Osteopathic Medicine
- School of Physical Therapy
- University Preparatory Programs
- UIW Online
After initial formal reference, acronyms may be used for the remainder of the text.
Always follow the full, formal name with the acronym in parentheses upon first reference.
- Adult Degree Completion Program = ADCaP
- College of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences = CHASS
- Dreeben School of Education = DSE
- Feik School of Pharmacy = FSOP
- H-E-B School of Business and Administration = HEBSBA
- Rosenberg School of Optometry = RSO
- Division of Extended Academic Programs = EAP
- School of Mathematics, Science and Engineering = MSE
- School of Media and Design = SMD
- School of Nursing and Health Professions = SNHP
- School of Osteopathic Medicine = SOM
- School of Physical Therapy = SoPT
Acronyms may be used on first reference for internally distributed materials only.
Additional Acceptable Acronyms
Other acceptable acronyms include: (use with no periods; define at first use)
- CIW – Mexico - Centro Universitario Incarnate Word
- IWHS – Incarnate Word High School
- SACHS – St. Anthony Catholic High School
- ELS - English Language Services
- ROTC - Reserve Officer Training Corps
- SMARRT - Science & Mathematics Alliance for Recruiting & Retaining Teachers
- LAC - Learning Assistance Center
- ECCL – Ettling Center for Civic Leadership
- IWC - Institute of World Cultures
When referring to departments and offices within the university, either the full name
or shortened version are acceptable. When using the full name, use initial caps; with
shortened name, use lower case; e.g.:
Mr. McFee of the Art Department will assist with the event.
Ms. Martin of the Office of Communications and Marketing will attend the meeting.
Ms. Martin of communications and marketing will attend the meeting.