Organization advisors play a vital role in assuring that the organization experience will be meaningful to students.
The most successful organizations are usually those in which the advisor takes an active interest in the group.
Advisor responsibilities include:
- Get involved! Be well informed of all plans and activities of the group.
- Regularly attend meetings and frequently consult with the officers.
- Provide direct assistance in the planning of the overall programs and indirect
help in preparing for events. Offer suggestions and resources.
- Direct students to register all organization activities with the Director
of the Student Center and Leadership Activities. The advisor must sign off on all registered events.
- Assist in the training of new officers.
- Assist with risk management decisions.
- Encourage and support all organizational functions.
- Attend organization meetings. Attend activities and social functions of
- Provide developmental activities to the executive board to assist in promoting
- Assist the group in keeping their records current, including meeting minutes,
budget records, files, and other important information.
- Assist the group in developing and updating their constitution and by-laws.
- Assist the group in setting realistic goals and objectives each academic
- Encourage and assist in the recruitment and participation of all students
regardless of race, creed, age, sexual orientation, ability, national origin, or gender.
- Supervise financial procedures followed by the organization in the handling
of funds. Encourage the use of the Business Office for the establishment of an Agency Fund account.
- Encourage opportunities within the group that will contribute to the students'
- Discourage domination of the group by any individual or smaller group.
- Be responsive to calls for assistance.
- Be familiar with the policies and procedures for student organizations
as outlined in this Handbook.
- Be aware of the expenditure of students' time, abilities, and duties within
- Most importantly, have fun!