PLANNING YOUR ORGANIZATION'S ACTIVITIES
Most events and activities that an organization may schedule, such as speakers, parties, field trips, fund raising activities, etc,. whether on or off-campus, must be coordinated and/or approved through the submission of the Event Approval Request Form. Renewal paperwork must be submitted to the Office of Student Center and Leadership Activities to be a recognized student organization for the academic year, and to be eligible to have activities approved.
Activities that do not require an Event Approval Form are:
A. Regular business meetings (that are held on campus).
B. Participation in SGA events (e.g. Student Activities Fair, Golden Harvest, Mulch Madness, Awards Banquet).
1. An Event Approval Request Form should be fully completed and signed by the President and advisor and submitted to the Office of the Student Center and Leadership Activities a minimum of three weeks prior to the event. If the event will require SGA funding, the request should be submitted according to the time frame noted in the funding guidelines.
Your organization may want to submit an Event Approval Form several weeks or a month before the event in order to publicize the event or to be sure the SGA has ample time to consider requests for funding.
2. Signatures of the Director of the Student Center & Leadership Activities and Director of Special Events (when appropriate) indicate the University's approval of the event. This allows the event to be conducted in the name of the organization, publicized on campus, and makes it eligible for SGA funding. A copy of the approved request form is placed in the organization's mailbox in the SGA office when it has been fully processed. Events may not be publicized until the Event Approval Form has been approved. It is the responsibility of organization's executive officers to insure that an activity has been approved by the appropriate administrators before proceeding with the event.
Activities involving alcohol require the approval of the Director of the Student Center & Leadership Activities, the Dean of Student Life and Director of Campus Police.
3. Please complete an Event Approval Form for activities involving off-campus travel. Hold Harmless/Liability waiver forms must also be filed in the Office of the Director of Student Center & Leadership Activities by those participating, prior to departure. (See the section on Trips, Conferences and Retreats).
4. If an event is not approved by he University, it may not be conducted in the name of the student organization or the name of University of the Incarnate Word. No funds from the organization may be used for its support and the activity may not be advertised on campus. Organizations that wish to appeal the decision of the Director of the Student Center & Leadership Activities concerning organizational events may do so to the Dean of Student Life.
5. If 5 or more members of a registered student organization participate in an activity, it is considered an official organization event and must be approved by the Office of the Student Center & Leadership Activities.
Trips, Conferences and Retreats
Trips (excursions, meetings, conferences) sponsored by any student organization must be approved by filing out the Event Approval Request Form three weeks prior to the scheduled event. The organization must also submit a written Risk Managemnt Plan. In addition to the form and plan, the organization must furnish in writing the following information:
o Purpose of trip and destination
o Address and phone number of hotel or other lodging accommodations
o Expected times of actual travel to and from the site.
o Means of transportation
o The names of the persons participating/emergency contact person and phone number.
o Name of the faculty/staff advisor(s) who will be in attendance.
Each organization may make their own travel arrangements. It is recommended that travel and accommodations be made through the University's authorized travel agency, Corporate Travel Planners at 573-204-0641.
When student organization travel is by students' personal vehicles, vehicle owners are not covered by University
insurance. Vehicle owners' personal accident and liability insurance is the only insurance in force during the
period of travel. Organizers must insure that the driver is at least 21 years old and is licensed to drive the
vehicle being used for travel. They must also insure that the driver show proof of liability insurance. Each participant must fill out the Hold Harmess Form.
Student organizations which sponsor trips assume a burden of liability for the care of members and others who participate. The student organization must take all reasonable precautions for the safety and well-being of participants.
Prior to departure, all participants must sign a waiver form available online. The form identifies the nature of the trip and any risks associated with travel and serves to carry out the organization's legal obligation to inform participants of potential risk. Signed waiver forms should be obtained from all participants prior to departure. Upon request, the Director of the Student Center & Leadership Activities will assist you in creating a waiver specifically for your event.
It is strongly recommended that at least one faculty/staff member accompany a group taking a trip. If this is not possible, the advisor should designate a responsible member of the group to be his/her representative. This person would be responsible for being the contact with the University should the need arise.
Parties, Dances and Other Social Events
Registered student organizations may hold parties, dances, and other social events on campus. All events, whether on or off-campus, must be scheduled and approved by the Director of the Student Center & Leadership Activities and the Dean of Student Life, as appropriate. The sponsoring organization is responsible for complying with all relevant laws, limiting noise so as to avoid disturbing others, and restricting crowd size to limits defined by posted fire department signs and the Director of the Student Center & Leadership Activities.