APPLICATION TO THE BIOLOGY MAJOR
Instructions to Students
Upon entering the University, a student has DECLARED a major; however EVERY BIOLOGY STUDENT MUST OFFICIALLY APPLY to the major after completing the 22 hours of lower level prerequisites. New transfer students may be eligible to apply upon admission to UIW.
After completing the 22 hours of major specific prerequisite requirements, a student
may formally apply to the major. To be eligible, a student must meet the following
- 2.00 Grade Point Average.
- Freshman standing.
- Completion all Academic Literacy Requirements (if applicable).
- Completion of English Composition I & II (6hrs).
- Completion of major’s lower prerequisite requirements: Including Chemical Principles
1301, 1302, and lab 1203L, BIOL 1402, BIOL 1403, 16hrs).
- Student makes an appointment at the Biology Advising Office to review students’ transcripts
and determine eligibility.
- Student completes application as soon as he/she has completed or registered for all
courses in the required sequence.
- If accepted, student will receive an acceptance letter and is assigned to a Faculty
- If student is not accepted, Biology Advisor notifies student when he/she can reapply,
or assist the student with the selection of another major.