- Dr. Melinda Adams, Fashion Management: Dr. Adams’ class will use their devices to enhance the marketing of special events via social media, including final projects with client presentation components.
- Dr. Joey Lopez, Convergent Media: Dr. Lopez’s students will use iPad minis to prototype apps, produce multimedia features, and study game play.
Projects were chosen based on criteria such as the project’s incorporation of active learning elements, the potential for transforming the way course materials are presented, and a clear plan for assessing the effectiveness of the devices on student learning.
Congratulations Melinda and Joey--not only for your ideas, but also for the willingness to serve as early adopters of mobile technologies in the classroom!
UIW---YOU WILL KNOW!
2013 Cutting Edge Fiesta® Fashion Show--Creativity Soars
UIW presented the 2013 Cutting Edge Fiesta® Fashion Show on Monday, April 22, at the Marriott Rivercenter Hotel. All proceeds from the event fund scholarships for students in UIW’s fashion management program. Check out the story from Fox 29 and also read about the exciting news about Shantex and UIW from mysanantonio.com.
- Career Day Awards
From some 550 entries for all categories; about 200 pieces made the runway. The UIW fashion department submitted 34 entries and four made the runway. Three dresses were in the Bridal Segment: designs by Loren Cruz; Liana Hinajosa; and Ashley Pugh. Ashley also had a another dress on the runway in the evening wear collection.
Ashley Pugh was one of five candidates for the Paris Academy of Fashion “Best of Show” Award, and placed second in the bridal collections category.
Ana Jimenez won 1st Place, Fashion Illustration Board
Logos Wins Awards
UIW’s student newspaper The Logos won two first-place awards in the Texas Intercollegiate Press Association in annual competition recognizing excellence in collegiate journalism.
The newspaper, which competed in Division 5 (the largest category for newspapers not published on a daily or weekly basis), came in first for overall excellence.
The staff received a second-place award for its back-to-school section. Student winners included Heather Moss; Gayle Bustamante; Willie Sanchez; and Tyller Collins. Honorable mentions included Aisha Baskette; Ashlynn Morales; Charlie Young; and Bustamante.
The Computer Graphic Arts students selected as finalists for the 2013 ADDY Awards hosted by the American Advertising Federation – San Antonio (AAF-SA) chapter.
Gold, Silver, and Bronze ADDYs were awarded, with those winning Student Gold & Silver ADDYs being advanced to District Competition at a banquet held on February 16, 2013. A Best of Show as well as several Student Judges Awards were also announced. This year – for the first time – a $200 award was given to each Gold winner and $500 awarded to the Best of Show.
*****The students took home 21 awards: 8 Gold, 4 Silver, 5 Bronze, 3 Student Judges Awards, as well as Best of Show!
****Four UIW students were also awarded scholarships of $1000 each.
- Adam Watkins, head of the 3D Animation & Game Design program and Denny Fagan, instructor in the Graphics Arts department, collaborated with the McNay Art Museum to develop the museum’s first app for the Apple iPad. The app uses what museum officials call “augmented reality” to experience works of art in multi-sensory ways. The accomplishment was noted in both the San Antonio Express News and San Antonio Business Journal.
Dr. Hsin-I Liu invited to present at 2012 Beijing Forum
Dr. Hsin-I (Steve) Liu, associate professor of communication arts, was invited to present a paper entitled “I have a Face and a Thousand Books, so I Don’t Need Facebook: A Critical View on Social Media” at the 2012 Beijing Forum in November 2012. The Beijing Forum was organized by Peking University, which is the oldest university in China and was ranked 46th globally by the 2012-2013 “Times Higher Education World Reputation Rankings.”
- THE TECHNOLOGY OF STAR TREK--Global Top Speaker--Dr. Hubert Zitt (http://www.global-top-speakers.com/speaker/dr-hubert-zitt) spoke in the fall semester of 2012;
Dr. Zitt is an electrical/computer engineering professor from our sister university in Zweibrucken, Germany. His presentaiton was on how the past science fiction of Star Trek has become the reality of today and tomorrow.
MEET THE MISSION is an important part of being a UIW Cardinal! Sharon Welkey, dean of the School of Media and Design, joined students for the 7th annual Meet the Mission event on Friday, Sept. 21. More than 200 students and faculty from UIW participated by visiting organizations throughout San Antonio for a day of community service.
When someone tells you to "get a life" did you know that UIW has two? See what's going on in Second Life: Another Incarnate Word Outpost - University of the Incarnate Word
- UIW ranks second in San Antonio for the size of our graduate degree programs and ranks sixth in San Antonio for certified enrollment. (Source: San Antonio Business Journal, 3/9/12)
- Did You Know..... Businesses told the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) they most demand employees with bachelor's degrees in: COMPUTER SCIENCE