State of the University Address
State of the University Address
Vision of the University
The University commits itself to providing for our student an educational
experience grounded in academic excellence, Catholic tradition, and committed
to social justice, community service, and the development of the whole
person. The University is committed to the effective integration
of its Mission throughout all-academic programs, campus life, and governance
of the University. The following institutional priorities will
direct decisions regarding operational over the next three to five years:
- To articulate and integrate more effectively the mission of the University
of the Incarnate Word drawing upon Incarnational theology and Catholic
faith tradition so as to foster the spiritual development of our students
and all members of the University community.
- To foster an effective and integrative learning-centered environment
that provides opportunities for intellectual development, personal
wellness and professional growth for students and all members of the
- To define and promote scholarship that supports teaching and learning.
- To continue to make higher education and its degree completion more
accessible to the people of San Antonio and South Texas by optimizing
program availability and financial support.
- To maintain and deliver innovative educational programs responsive
to market needs and opportunities.
- To refine roles and responsibilities in the University in view of
the changing environment and of dynamic nature of higher education.
- To promote understanding and appreciation of diversity within the
University and the broader community.
- To strengthen learning opportunities for students at all levels through
collaborative programs linking higher education with schools, businesses,
and professional communities and agencies, both nationally and internationally.
- To promote and support the continuing integration of technology and
globalization into the curriculum and all administrative services of
- To ensure the University’s stability and long-term viability
through continual development, creative management and proper stewardship
of its resources.
Adopted September, 2000
Keeping the Word
UIW SERVICE THEME:
The University commits itself to provide for our students an educational
experience of academic excellence, rooted in the Catholic tradition and
dedicated to social justice, community service, and the development of
the whole person.
UIW SERVICE VALUES:
To go the extra mile by:
- Taking time to ask the right questions to determine need
- Minimizing hassles and frustration through seamless delivery systems
To treat others and the environment as we would like to be treated by:
- Treating students and each other with courtesy
- Recognizing the divine and dignity in each person
- Treating the campus environment with courtesy
To choose the common good over individual interest by:
- Collaborating within the community
- Celebrating the community
To accomplish our stated goals in an efficient manner by:
- Hiring and training the right people for the right job
- Providing resources for completing processes
- Providing resources for enhanced training
- Getting the job done right the first time
To risk and to imagine by:
- Encouraging creativity, flexibility and innovation
- Providing resources to nurture creativity within the community
- Visioning the future
Adopted August, 2000
Core Values of the University
The university educates men and women who will become concerned and
The faculty and students support one another in the search for and the
communication of truth
The university is committed to educational excellence in a context of
faith in Jesus Christ, the Incarnate Word of God
The curriculum includes a global perspective and an emphasis on social
justice and community service
The university is open to thoughtful innovation that serves the spiritual
and material needs of people