UIW Preparatory is operated by the University of the Incarnate Word. UIW Prep is an extension of the mission and the entrepreneurial direction of the University. By utilizing computer mediated learning techniques, the University addresses the changing needs of preparatory students. By maintaining educational standards of the traditional programs, UIW Prep presents college preparatory programs in a convenient format while also extending the opportunity for dual credit course work.
UIW Preparatory Mission
UIW Prep is committed to academic excellence and social justice by providing faith-based educational opportunities to the global community to prepare young men and women for higher education and a lifetime of service to their communities and nations.
Mission of the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word
UIW Preparatory is the most recent chapter in the long history of the University
of the Incarnate Word. The University itself is an outgrowth of the original mission that brought the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word to San Antonio in 1869. The Sisters' work began with the care of victims of a cholera epidemic and the establishment of the first hospital in the city, an institution recognized today as the Christus Santa Rosa. Their ministry soon spread to the care of homeless children and teaching. In 1881, they secured a charter from the State of Texas, which empowered them to establish schools on all levels.
In 1900, the Academy of the Incarnate Word, which had been established first in an area of San Antonio called Government Hill, was moved to the recently constructed Motherhouse of the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word in Alamo Heights. College classes were added to the curriculum in 1909, and the name of the institution was changed to the College and Academy of the Incarnate Word. Both the College and the High School were affiliated with the Texas State Department of Education in 1918. The college was fully accredited by the Association of College and Secondary Schools in 1925. The graduate division was added in 1950, and the school became co-educational in 1970. In 1996, it was recognized as a university. In 1998, the University was re-accredited at the baccalaureate and master degree level and approval was given to offer doctoral degrees by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of College and Schools toward Doctoral degrees, in addition to Bachelors and Masters degrees.
Non-Traditional & International
In 1995, the University elected to move into new population areas, both in the adult education community and international arena. In 1995, the Adult Degree Completion Program (ADCaP) afforded adult learners the opportunity to get a quality education in the evening at an accelerated pace. In 2000, the University moved its mission and programs to the country of China, opening a university on the soil of mainland China. This college will offer associates degrees, and UIW is the only American university authorized to offer an entire degree in English in China.
Contact us for more information on enrolling at UIW Prep.