PR Procedures: Event Promotion
The PR department promotes the various events held on the campus of the University of the Incarnate Word as well as the satellite campuses for the School of Extended Studies, the Feik School of Pharmacy and the UIW School of Optometry. We also handle the promotional efforts for the campuses of St. Anthony Catholic High School and Incarnate Word High School.
When all facts are ascertained for a particular event there are several steps taken to promote the event to the media and community.
- Story pitches are sent to select reporters or news outlets, teasing the story and testing interest in the story.
- A news release is sent to local, regional, and possibly national media to announce the event.
- Listings are submitted to local community calendars and public service announcement managers for inclusion (at least a month in advance).
- Alternate story angles are pitched (when possible) to local media personalities.
- An advisory (request for coverage) is sent the day prior to the event.
- Follow-up phone calls are made the day of the event to confirm the promotional materials were received and to confirm which outlets will be present.
- Notice is included in the daily Word Today e-mail, The Word e-News weekly employee newsletter, website calendar of events and Channel 15 plasma screens.
To ensure promotion of your event, please thoroughly fill out and submit a Request for Event Promotion form a minimum of 5 university business days prior to your event.