For further information or if you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us:
University of the Incarnate Word
4301 Broadway, CPO #99
San Antonio, TX 78209-6397
Exploring ‘UIW Cardinal’ and the Feik School of Pharmacy in Second Life
There are several ways to navigate in Second Life. You can walk by using your arrow keys on the keyboard (recommended way to see explore the island). You can fly (press the Page Up button on your keyboard to jump or to go up and then use the arrow keys to fly, Page Down to go down). You can teleport between islands (as you did) and between sites on an island (if there is a teleport system – there is one on UIW Cardinal – look for the map and blue circle near the Clock Tower and other places on the island; click on the blue circle and select one of the destinations on the island, including the ‘Pharmacy’ building). As you travel around the island, you can see where you are on the map (see above) – the Feik School of Pharmacy on UIW Cardinal is the building built on the diagonal in the southwestern quadrant of the map.
When you find the Feik School of Pharmacy on UIW Cardinal island, you will notice the Map and teleport system outside that will lead you to other areas on the island. You will also see a Welcome sign – click on it to receive a welcoming message. Walk into the building to find orientation materials – read the text titles and click on the items. You will receive a ‘Notecard’ (a kind of handout that you can create as well as give to other people)..
Walk around inside the Pharmacy building and find and interact with the following avatars (view and click on their photos or type them a message):
1. Dr. Kevin Lord, Assistant Dean of Student Affairs and Assistant Professor of Pharmaceutical Sciences – click on his photo in his office to receive information on his role and how his can help you.
2. Monica Roberts, Secretary to Student Affairs – click on her photo in her office to discover her role.
3. Kristen Dicianna, Liz Hernandez, and Diana Dimas – click on their photos in the counselor’s office or click on the rotating object and type a short email message to them in the Local Chat box.
4. Christina Seeger, Pharmacy Librarian - click on her photo in the library to discover her role.
5. Brian Palmeri, IT Support - click on his photo in the IT Office to learn about him.
Walk around inside the Pharmacy building and go outside to find the following spaces and buildings:
1. The Pharmacy Library – click the yellow and green balls to go to the website of the Pharmacy and main UIW libraries online; sit on the chair (right click on it and select ‘Sit Here’) and see what happens; you will also find an internal teleporter that will enable you to teleport within the building.
2. The Pharmacy Student Center – click the four laptops for various websites; sit and relax; click the vending and coffee machines (keep the object and then look in your Inventory – the luggage icon – under the Recent tab; right-click on the object and select ‘Wear’); there is an internal teleporter outside the door.
3. Restrooms downstairs (always good to know where they are).
4. The Pharmacy Student Government room (under construction).
5. The Pharmacy Museum (under construction).
6. Pharmacy Classroom – upstairs (click on the screen with the Pharmacy symbol) to view a video.
7. The Rooftop Patio (only in Second Life).
8. Other buildings on campus, including the Marian Hall Student Center with the Bookstore (2nd floor – find a link there to your Pharmacy textbooks!) and Admissions and Financial Aid above it, the new Fine Arts building with its student art gallery and theater, the Chapel in the middle of the island with the McCreless Art Gallery just below it, the public Sandbox where 10’s of thousands of avatars from around the world have visited the campus (and you may build for free), the Clock Tower Plaza, the School of Nursing building, the Coffee Patio, the campus Library near the Administration building, the Firepit on top of the mountain, the Barbeque (BBQ) patio overlooking the waterfall, the Amphitheater and La Villita, and the campus Beach (only in Second Life).