Adding a link has been simplified with the WYSIWYG editor. Please Note: Adding internal links (to pages on other www.uiw.edu sites) is slightly different
than adding links to external sites (such as to www.google.com). The two methods are
It is very important to follow all the steps for adding internal links - do not be tempted to type internal addresses. If you properly follow the directions, your link will
be added as a dependency link. Dependency links will follow a page even if the page
is renamed or moved without you having to do anything additional.
Adding External Links
- Type the link text and highlight it using the mouse. Click the Insert/Edit Link icon in the WYSIWYG toolbar.
- A dialog box called Insert/Edit Link will open. Type the site's address in the Link
URL field. Then click Insert. When you enter a URL in the Link URL field WITHOUT typing http:// or https://, you
will be given a popup message. Click Ok.
- Your linked text should now be red.
Adding Internal Links
- Repeat steps 1 & 2 from Adding External Links above.
- If you want to create a link to another page or document on your site, make sure you
know exactly where it is before you start. PDFs, Word documents, spreadsheets, PowerPoint
presentation files, etc. are to be located in your site's documents folder. When you click the Browse button next to the Link URL field, you will open a list of folders and files. You will use these folders to navigate
through the directories.
- Depending on whether the internal link exists on your site or not, You might need
to change the Server Drop Down List to Production on the top right. Select the file you want to link to and click Insert. If you are linking to an index.html (index.pcf within OU Campus), select the folder
and click Insert. The file lists appears. Choose your desired file.
- Make sure you enter a Title that describes what you are linking to. This is very important for ADA purposes.
- Click Insert to finish.
Adding Internal Links to Documents via Upload Function
- Repeat steps 1 & 2 from Adding Internal Links above. Please know that PDFs, Word documents, spreadsheets, PowerPoint presentation files,
etc. are to be located in your site's documents folder. You will need to navigate to that particular folder so that the file is uploaded
to the right location.
- Click the Upload Button to continue.
- Click the Add Files button to browse and select the local file on your computer to upload.
- Once your document is uploaded, assure that its file name conforms with OU Campus's
requirements. No spaces, upper case, or invalid characters are allowed (SoPT Faculty Tutorial.pdf = not allowed, sopt-faculty-tutorial.pdf = allowed). Click the Start Upload button, afterwards, to proceed.
- Click Insert button to proceed.
- Proceed with steps 4 & 5 from the Adding Internal Links section above to complete
Editing / Removing an Existing Link
- Click on the link in the text that requires changing.
- To modify a link, click the Insert/Edit Link icon in the toolbar. Follow the instructions to add a link above.
- To delete a link, click the Unlink icon in the toolbar.
Please note that removing a link from a document does not delete it from the server;
to remove a file, making it unaccessable via search engines. it must be moved from
the "documents" directory to the recycle bin.