Become an Orientation Leader
Who are Orientation Leaders?
UIW Orientation Leaders (OL) assume many responsibilities including helping in the preparation of all Orientation sessions, providing information to future students and family members through small and large group settings and, most importantly, promoting UIW in a fun and comfortable atmosphere.
OLs are compensated for all work during training, work weeks and all Orientation sessions. Meals during all orientation sessions will be provided as well.
To apply to become a 2014 Orientation Leader, please print and fill out our application provided below, or stop by the First Year Engagement Office.
**APPLICATION PERIOD FOR 2014 NOW CLOSED**
If you enjoy meeting people and are interested in helping new Cardinals transition to the campus, we would love to have you join our 2014 Orientation Leader Team. Click on the following link for a copy of the 2014 OL Job Description!
If you are a previous Orientation Leader who will be reapplying, please fill out the first page and the last 2 pages.
OLs must meet the following requirements:
- An OL must support the goals of the University and the Student Success department.
- An OL must have completed twelve (12) hours at UIW by December 2013 and must meet academic standards at the time of application, at the end of the Spring 2014 semester. No one may hold an OL position while on academic probation or without providing a copy of their Fall 2014 schedule.
- An OL must not be on disciplinary probation.
- An OL must be enrolled for the Spring 2014 semester and the Fall 2014 semester and have registered for 12 hours (full time) at UIW for the Fall of 2014 before May 2014. Not doing so may result in not being able to work.
- An OL may have an outside job as long as it does not interfere with the fulfillment of the requirements of the OL position, if an OL has another job, Orientation should take precedence (please talk with the coordinator if this is the case).
- An OL must attend and complete OL Training and work all Orientation sessions (if interference occurs then you must speak with the coordinator immediately), including the morning and afternoon set up/tear down and staff meeting for each session at the beginning and end of the day.
- Absences from training sessions and/or Orientation sessions are excused only for classes, illness, or death in the family (and have been brought up with the coordinator).
- An OL should reside in/or around town during summer 2014.
- All OLs must attend the mandatory training dates.
Mandatory dates to remember
- Applications are due: Monday, March 31st, 2014 by 5:00 p.m.
- Individual Interviews: Set by appointment with the student coordinator from application.
- OL training*: May 13th - May 16th, 2014
- 2014 Freshman and Transfer Orientation sessions
Orientation 1: Thursday, June 5th 2014
Orientation 2: Thursday, June 12th 2014
Orientation 3: Thursday, June 19th 2014
Orientation 4: Wednesday, June 25th 2014
Orientation 5: Wednesday, July 2nd 2014
Orientation 6: Thursday, July 10th 2014
Orientation 7: Thursday, July 31st 2014
Orientation 8: Thursday, August 7th 2014
Orientation 9: Wednesday, August 13th 2014
*Spring interviews will not be held on academic holidays.
**There will be mandatory set-up/tear-down and staff meetings before each Orientation session.
MORE ORIENTATION INFORMATION
The University of the Incarnate Word provides reasonable accommodation with adequate notice. To request disability accommodation for this event, please contact:
Rochelle Ramirez 210-805-3069 at least 5 days in advance.