Summer Optometry Institute (SOI)
Funded in part by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) Minority in Health Research and Education Grant, the SOI is a program designed to familiarize First Generation and Underrepresented Minority Pre-Health and Pre-Optometry students with the professional surroundings of optometry school. Special focus will be on preparing and strengthening the student's application portfolio for admission as well as developing the necessary skills to be successful in optometry school. Additional emphasis is placed on fostering mentorship opportunities that can contribute to student success in the health professions.
- Focus on career exploration within the field of Optometry to include optometric modes of practice, future trends in optometry, basic clinical skills development and clinical observation.
- Provide overview of academic experience for students enrolling in an optometry program including course preparation, attending optometry class, and participating in interactive lab activities.
- Offer pre-admissions workshops on Optometry Admissions Test (OAT) prep, interview skills, writing skills for personal statement and individualized counseling in preparation for the admissions process.
The 2017 application is now closed! For your planning purposes, please note the planned program dates: July 18-21, 2017. A total number of 10 - 15 students will be selected through an application process including a review of the selection criteria outlined within the application. In anticipation of a competitive applicant pool, we will be accepting applications through May 31, 2017.
There is no registration cost and meals will be provided. The only expense each participant will be responsible for includes travel arrangements to and from the school. Participants can either arrange for their own accommodations in the San Antonio area or utilize access to accommodations through UIWRSO.
Feedback from 2016 Class
- This program was outstanding and surpassed all my expectations. It greatly increased all my interest in UIWRSO. I'm very grateful.
- The program exceeded my expectations and was extremely helpful.
- Great experience, extremely beneficial to students considering optometry as a profession. The mock interviews were a great practice and allowed for feedback on a personal level.
- This program was VERY fun and informative, I really enjoyed it. Thank you so much for putting it all together.
- Everything was amazing! I enjoyed auditing the class and shadowing the students in clinic.
- The program exceeded my expectations. I was blown away by the knowledge, information, and exposure that was put into SOI for us. I feel like I belong here! This place feels like home.