Traditional BSN Admissions Requirements
Regular Admission Process
This route allows students to apply for admission into the Traditional BSN program at Incarnate Word. Students must meet the following admission criteria along with completing all pre-requisite coursework prior to admission into the program. Application process and specific deadlines can be found at How to Apply.
- Completion of prerequisite coursework (see below)
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 in all coursework to date
- A minimum GPA of 2.5 in science coursework (Biology, Chemistry and Nutrition courses)
- A minimum score of 75 on all sections on the HESI Admission Assessment™ (A2) exam
Fulfillment of these minimum requirements does not guarantee admission. Completion of prerequisite courses, health requirements and a background check is also required
Admission Assessment Exam
Completion of the HESI Admission Assessment™ (A2) is a part of the requirements for admission to the Traditional BSN Generic Program. The assessment results are used to determine an applicant’s readiness for admission. The exam consists of academic content and a personality profile that identifies the individual applicant’s learning style. The applicant must enroll and take the examination during the exam window.
A minimum score of 75 on each of 7 tests on the HESI Admission Assessment™ (A2) is required for admission into the nursing program. Tests sections include reading comprehension, grammar, vocabulary, mathematics, biology, chemistry, anatomy and physiology.
At the time of program application, the applicant must have completed or be currently enrolled in :
- Computer Literacy
- English Composition I and II (not required for second degree seeking students)
- Speech Communication (not required for second degree seeking students)
- Biological Chemistry I with Lab
- Biological Chemistry II with Lab
- Anatomy and Physiology I with Lab
- Anatomy and Physiology II with Lab
- Microbiology with Lab
- Introduction to Psychology
- Child/Adolescent and Adult Development OR Lifespan Development
- Dimensions of Wellness (if new to UIW, may complete upon admission)
Prior to acceptance to the program, the following immunizations must be documented and validated:
Hepatitis B completed series due at program application. Titer not accepted.
- Measles, Mumps and Rubella (2 doses due at program application)
- Varicella (2 doses OR positive titer due at program application). History of chickenpox is not accepted.
- Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis (1 dose TdaP due at program application)
- Seasonal Influenza (due annually in Fall)
- TB screen test (due at application and annually). If contraindicated, a medical recommendation must be submitted.
Criminal Background Check
A criminal background screening is completed on all students accepted into the nursing program. The school will designate a company to do the background screening and will not accept results from any company other than the one designated by the school. Students pay expenses related to all screening. An applicant with a significant criminal background or a current conviction may not be allowed to register for nursing courses until the Board of Nurse Examiners for the State of Texas (BNE) issues a declaratory order stating that the individual is eligible for initial licensure or license renewal or determines that the individual is eligible to return to practice. The criminal background screen (FBI screen) will be repeated in the senior year when the student applies for the licensing exam.
Declaratory Order applications can be obtained from the Board of Nurse Examiners for the State of Texas (BNE) website.