- A baccalaureate degree with a major in nursing from a program accredited by the National
League for Nursing or Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (including nursing
courses in community health and leadership/management)
- A current license to practice nursing in the State of Texas or one of the compact
states recognized by the State of Texas.
- A minimum of one year of relevant experience in professional nursing is preferred,
but not required.
- A course in basic statistics with a grade of "C" or better and a course in basic physical
- A grade point average of 2.5 on all undergraduate work and an average of 3.0 in upper-division
nursing courses that serve as the foundation for the graduate major.
- Acceptance into graduate study by the university.
- Acceptance into graduate nursing study by the MSN Committee.
- CPR certification, Exposure Insurance, Background Check, OSHA and HIPAA testing, and
- Three satisfactory references (academic, professional).
- Official transcripts sent from each college/university you have attended (including
hospital school of nursing, if appropriate).
- An interview may be required.
- Individual consideration is given to those applicants who do not entirely meet specific
B. Procedures for Graduate Admission
- Review the admissions procedures for the School of Graduate Studies and Research.
- Submit Graduation Admissions Application form.
- Enclose a $20.00 application fee (non-refundable).
- Request official transcripts be sent from each college or university you have attended
(include hospital school of nursing, if appropriate).
- Call the Office of Admissions at (210) 829-6005 if you have any questions about receipt
of documents or about admission to the University.
C. Procedure for admission to the Master of Science in Nursing
- Submit the Master of Science in Nursing Application form to: Nursing Graduate Director, University of the Incarnate Word, 4301 Broadway, CPO
300, San Antonio, Texas 78209-6397.
- Request that the three Professional and Academic Reference Forms be sent, in sealed
envelopes, to: Nursing Graduate Program Director, University of the Incarnate Word,
4301 Broadway, CPO 300, San Antonio, Texas 78209-6397.
- Interviews will be arranged as needed.
D. Once the application is complete, applicants will be notified of their admission
status by mail.
____ UIW Graduate Application Form
____ Transcripts from all colleges/universities attended
____ $20.00 non-refundable fee
____ MSN Application Form
____ Three professional references
For further information, contact:
University of the Incarnate Word
Dr. Holly Cassells
Professor, School of Nursing and Health Professions
4301 Broadway, Box 300
San Antonio, TX 78209