Photo of the Week
UIW community members come together with members of the Collins-Reininger family to dedicate a tree in honor of the family’s long standing history on campus.
top of page
Our Lady’s Chapel Services
All are welcome.
- Noon Mass, Monday – Friday.
- Sunday Mass at 10:30 a.m.
- Liturgy of the Hours evening prayer at 4:30 p.m. every Wednesday
- Sacrament of Reconciliation - 11:30 a.m. Fridays or by appointment.
top of page
The UIW community is invited to celebrate Dr. Lou Agnese’s 30th anniversary as president of the university on Monday, Aug. 4 with a special Mass at noon in Our Lady’s Chapel followed by a celebratory reception at 1 p.m. in Marian Hall Ballroom. Please R.S.V.P. to attend by contacting the Office of Public Relations at (210) 829-6001 or PR@uiwtx.edu.
Mozart Festival Texas 2014
The UIW Music Department invites the community to attend Mozart Festival Texas 2014 on Friday, Aug. 1 and Saturday, Aug. 2, 8 p.m. each evening in Our Lady’s Chapel. Guests will enjoy classical music concerts including chamber music and orchestral performances. Cost of admission is $25 for Aug. 1, $30 for Aug. 2 and $15 each evening for students with proof of school ID. For more information please contact Roland Sul at (210) 829-2855 or email@example.com.
top of page
Graduate Information Session for prospective students
The Graduate Admissions Office will host a Graduate Information Session for all interested students who seek to pursue a graduate degree from the University of the Incarnate Word on Thursday, July 31, 6:30-8 p.m. in the International Conference Center Auditorium. Representatives from the Offices of Graduate Admissions and Veterans Affairs as well as faculty members will be available to address any additional questions. To R.S.V.P. or for more information please contact Johnny Garcia at (210) 805-3554, firstname.lastname@example.org or visit http://www.uiw.edu/gsc/orientationrsvp.html.
UIW’s Department of Instructional Technology will host a three-day I-Pad App-Palooza event from Tuesday, Aug. 5 to Thursday, Aug. 7, 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. each day in Nursing Building Room 305.
- Tuesday, August 5 - Thursday, August 7, 2014; 8:30 – 12:30, NURS305.
This summer’s App Palooza will feature three sessions:
The August 5th session will teach the basics of iPad use and navigation, as well as a couple of Apps that will enhance iPad users’ experience.
- The August 6th session will cover “Teaching and Learning with your iPad.” The session will cover a series of apps designed to enhance the classroom experience.
- The August 7th session will regard productivity apps for the classroom; demonstrating apps that enhance collaboration, teaching, learning and classroom productivity.
For more information, please contact Terrence Peak at (210) 829-3920 or email@example.com.
top of page
Extended Academic Programs
EAP Director of Operations-San Antonio Shirley Caldera, UIW Online Director of Operations Christy Wisely, Admissions Coordinator Jill Stanislawski, Director of Operations – Corpus Christi Coeta Montgomery and VP of EAP Dr. Cyndi Porter share a photo at the Wynn hotel and casino while attending the Blackboard Conference in Las Vegas.
top of page
- Interfaith gathering prays for peace in the Middle East. Read more about this special event that saw the community come together.
- KSAT 12 NIGHTBEAT – Interfaith Prayer Service: View
- NEWS 4 SAN ANTONIO AT 10 PM - Interfaith Service Prayer: View
- S.A.’s Samantha Plasencia premieres on ‘Project Runway.’ Read the full story on this UIW alum making the cut.
UIW Summer Fencing Camps and Classes
The UIW Brainpower Center for Fencing and International Sports invites the community to join one of the interactive and fun camps offered over the summer. All camps with the exception of the UIW Modern Pentathlon Camp will take place on site at the UIW Brainpower Center for Fencing and International Sports located on the St. Anthony Catholic High School campus. A list of the camps and classes offered is listed below.
- UIW Fencing Saber Camp
- UIW Saber Camp for ages 10 – 15 will host a session from Aug. 11-14, 1-4 p.m. daily. Participants will be introduced to the sport of sabre, its footwork, bladework, rules and tactics. Sessions are taught by USFCA Instructor, former National Champion and World Ranked Fencer Gary M. van der Wege. Equipment will be available; cost of attendance for either session is $125.
- UIW Modern Pentathlon Camp
- The Modern Pentathlon Camps begins Monday, July 28 to Saturday, Aug. 2, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. in both the UIW Natatorium and UIW Fencing Center. The camp focuses on training four of the five disciplines of the Pentathlon: running, shooting, fencing and swimming. Please note there is no live ammo used in the pistols as they are competition grade laser pistols; each participant will take a gun safety course at the beginning of the camp. Cost of attendance is $300.
As an appreciation to UIW Employees, all university staff will receive a 15% discount off attendance cost by using promo code UIWEMPFC. For more information on camps and classes, please visit http://sites.uiw.edu/wellness/fencing/summer-camps-classes/, Facebook or contact Erin Galloway at (210) 832-5686 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The UIW community is invited to help kick off the Fall semester with Welcome Week’s Freshman Move-In on Thursday, August 14, 8 a.m.-3 p.m. on Dubuis Lawn. Two-hour time slots are available for volunteers who wish to welcome the incoming freshman class of Fall 2014.
Please be aware that the office of UESP is subject to place volunteers where needed. Preferences will be taken into consideration, but not guaranteed. Deadline to register at https://orgsync.com/9997/forms/105299 is Friday, August 8, 5 p.m. For more information, please contact Mercedes Moreno at (210) 805-5862 or email@example.com.
top of page
Employee Health & Wellness
Tip of the Week
Beware the snack bar breakfast. A bought flapjack plus a normal latte clocks up 755 calories. Save 500 calories, and eat a healthy bowl of muesli plus tea or coffee with skimmed milk before you leave home. Go for healthy breakfasts.
Wellness Center Orientation
The UIW Wellness Center will host an orientation session where it will introduce faculty and staff to the basics of the facility including weight machines, free weights, treadmills, elliptical trainers and other cardio equipment. Orientation sessions will be every first Tuesday of the month beginning Tuesday, July 1, 6:45 a.m. Use of the center is free to UIW, IWHS and SACHS faculty and staff with valid UIW, IWHS or SACHS ID. To RSVP or for more information, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or follow the Wellness Committee on Facebook.
Associate Dean of the College of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences Dr. Jeff Crane works alongside children from the Ella Austin Community Center as part of a collaborative effort between Ella Austin, UIW’s Sustainability Center and the Center for Civic Leadership.
Full-time Faculty Opening Workshop
UIW Provost Dr. Kathi Light will host the Full-time Faculty Opening Workshop and Luncheon in the McCombs Center Rosenberg Sky Room on Tuesday, August 12, at 9 a.m. and will conclude with lunch. Full-time faculty from main campus, professional schools and EAP will be in attendance. This is also your opportunity to update your official UIW headshot. A photographer will be available from 12:30-3:30 p.m. only. Appointments are not necessary. For questions regarding photography, please contact the Office of Public Relations at (210) 829-6001. For any additional information, please contact Itza Casanova at (210) 829-3943 or email@example.com.
top of page
UIW Prep Hiring Adjunct Instructors for the 2014 – 2015 Academic Year
The UIW Preparatory High School is seeking adjunct instructors to facilitate online high school and dual credit courses for the 2014 – 2015 academic year. All UIW Prep instructors must have: a minimum of a bachelor's degree and a current state-issued educator certificate at the secondary level in the subject area to be taught; and/or a master's degree from an accredited college or university in the subject area to be taught. If you are a full-time UIW, IWHS or SACHS employee and are interested in this adjunct teaching opportunity, please contact Melissa A. Sayre (UIW Prep Coordinator of Faculty) at firstname.lastname@example.org or (210) 805-3084 for more information.
Visit St. Anthony Catholic High School at www.sachs.org.
Visit Incarnate Word High School at www.incarnatewordhs.org.
Visit the UIW Prep website at http://prep.uiw.edu.
top of page
Volunteer Workdays at Headwaters Sanctuary
Headwaters at Incarnate Word is hosting volunteers work days at the Headwaters Sanctuary; adjacent to the UIW baseball field. Volunteers are eligible for off-campus community service hours. Work times are 7:30-10:30 a.m. on the following dates:
- Wednesday, Aug. 6
- Saturday, Aug. 16
The Sanctuary contains the original source of the San Antonio River, the famous Blue Hole. Volunteers can help restore the Sanctuary by removing invasive plants, making trails, picking up trash, and planting native plants. Participants are reminded to dress for the woods with clothing such as long pants, long sleeves and closed-toe shoes. Volunteers will meet at the picnic tables north of the baseball fields. For more information, please contact Helen Ballew at (210) 828-2224 or email@example.com.
Our sympathy and prayers go to:
- Rebecca (BS ’57) and James Almazan & family on the recent loss of her sister, Esperanza De Leon Barrera (BSN ’54).
- The family of Col. Lila J. Bosch, USA (ret.) (BSN ’72) on her recent death.
- The family of Dorothy Lucille Tracy Gunkel (BS ’47) on her recent death.
- William Harris & family on the recent loss of his wife, Marilyn Gann Harris (MA ’70).
- Bobby Lytton & family on the recent loss of his wife, Mary Jo Kolafa Lytton (IWHS ’60, BA ’66, MA ’71).
- Rita Moulder Bragg (IWHS ’68) on the recent loss of her mother; Marjorie Mascioli (IWHS ’47, BA ’51) on the recent loss of her sister, Rita Pfeiffer Moulder (IWHS ’42, BA ‘46).
- Mr. Fred Riley & family on the recent loss of his wife, Nancy DeSales Riley (BSN ’76).
- John Valdivia (BA ’90) & family on the recent loss of his father, Jose R. Valdivia.
- The family of Hazel Deshields Vickery (BA ’69) on her recent death.
- Julie (EAP Director of Marketing & Recruitment, MBA ’96) and Thomas Weber & family on the recent loss of his mother, Diane Weber.
- Lucy and Toby West & family on the recent loss of their daughter Marci Lin West (Current UIW Student).
- Sr. Luz Romay, a member of the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word is mourning the loss of her mother who died Monday, July 21 in Mexico City.
The University of the Incarnate Word provides reasonable accommodation with adequate notice. To request disability accommodation for events listed in this newsletter, visit www.uiw.edu/ada.
top of page