Photo of the Week
Director of Residence Life, Diane Sanchez, (top left) Associate Provost Dr. Glenn James (top right) and a UIW student shower Dean of Campus Life Dr. Renee Moore, Assistant Director of University Events and Student Programs Paulina Mazurek and Director of University Events and Student Programs Paul Ayala (right to left) with ice-cold water as part of the Ice Bucket Challenge to spread ALS awareness.
top of page
Our Lady’s Chapel Services
All are welcome.
- Noon Mass, Monday – Friday.
- Sunday Mass at 10:30 a.m.
- Liturgy of the Hours evening prayer at 4:30 p.m. every Wednesday
- Sacrament of Reconciliation - 11:30 a.m. Fridays or by appointment.
The UIW community is invited to attend Mass of the Holy Spirit on Wednesday, Aug. 27, noon in Our Lady’s Chapel. For more information, please contact Mission & Ministry at (210) 829-3128 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
top of page
People Magazine en Espanol Visits UIW Campus
Iliana Carlo, Associate Publisher Marketing for People en Español will be in the Mabee Library Auditorium on Wednesday, Aug. 27, 10:30 a.m. Her team will present insights about marketing to Hispanic consumers and the use of Spanish-lanugage media in the U.S. Learn more about the presentation at http://www.peopleenespanol.com/festival. The event is open to the public. For more information, please contact Jeff Berry at (210) 283-6387 or email@example.com.
National Flags and Currencies III
International students will have short presentations regarding their flags and symbols on their currencies on Wednesday, Aug. 27, 6-8:30 p.m. in ICC United Nations Room. In addition, they will cover brief general information such as history and cultural contents. For more information, please contact Chahee Park at (210) 805-5820 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
top of page
(L-R) Director of the Graduate Support Center Dr. David A. Ortiz shares a photo with Graduate Assistants Jessica Garcia and Inci Yilmazli during the Fall 2014 New Graduate Student and Family Orientation.
Is your office/ department moving?
If your office is moving this summer please let us know where and when so we can include your information in the upcoming issues of The Word Today... For more information, please contact Jonathan Salas at (210) 832-2162 or email@example.com.
- UIW training Coordinator Terence Peak and Instructional Designer Jessica Martinez-Palacios have relocated to room G16 on the ground floor of the Mabee Library.
- UIW Director of Instructional Technology Ana Gonzalez has relocated to Mabee Library Room 223.
- Senior Director of Digital Infrastructure & User Services Ben Rosebrock is moving from AD 28 to AD 433.
- Director of Infrastructure Support Carl Haywood is moving from AD 27 to AD 434.
- Telephone Systems Administrator Steve Summers is moving from AD 26 to AD Fourth Floor
- Assistant Director of Web Development Joe Vasquez is relocating from AD 25 to AD 437.
- Adela Gott, the Multimedia Specialist, has moved from Library room G-15 to room G-27, inside the Media Center.
- Assistant Professor Tanja Stampfl has relocated from AD 340C to AD 353.
- VP of Information Resources & CIO Dan Duffy has relocated to AD 430
- Administrative Assistant to IRD Diana Fonseca –AD 429
- Director of Enterprise Applications Iris Solcher AD 432
- Assistant Director of Enterprise Applications Ciro Juarez AD 435
- Application Support Analysts Jessica Gomez, Joanna Arredondo and Vanessa Garza AD 436
- Senior Programmer Analyst Angela Williams AD 436
- Senior Programmer/ DBA Terry Schilousky AD 443
- DBA/ Programmer Sid Fernandez AD 443
- Senior Programmer Analyst/ Ancillary systems Armando Villarreal AD 444
- Senior Programmer Analyst/ Reporting and Data Integration Thomas Dziuk AD 444
- Director of Web Development Troy Knickerbocker has relocated to AD 441.
- Senior Instructor and Logos Adviser Michael Mercer has relocated from AD 277 to AD 211.
- UIW Convergent Media’s John Miller and Gino Segovia have moved from AD 41 to LIB G 13 (on the Library’s Ground floor near the Media Center).
- Sr. Brigid Marie Clarke, CCVI, has relocated to 536 W. Kings Hwy. #2 (78212).
- Assistant Professor Dr. Ann D. David is located in GB Suite 124/Rm125.
- DSE School Secretary Jesse Martinez is located in GB Suite 124
- Dr. Renea Fike has relocated from GB Suite 124/Rm125 to GB Suite 142/Rm147
- Dr. Sharon Herbers is currently in GB Suite 142/Rm147
- Dr. Stephanie Grote-Garcia is now in GB Suite 124/Rm126
- Dr. Lori A. Falcon has moved from GB Suite 124/Rm125 to GB Suite 142/Rm144
- DSE Induction Coordinator Brandi Rodriguez has relocated from GB 104 to GB 148
- ADRC Coordinator Joan Labay-Marquez has relocated from GB 229 to GB 104
- Administrative Assistant Mary Teal is now in Room 101 on the 7th floor of Agnese/Sosa.
- Founding Dean of the School of Osteopathic Medicine Dr. Robyn Madson is in Room 102 on the 7th floor of Agnese/Sosa.
- Assistant Professor of Finance Dr. Alicia Rodriguez de Rubio’s new office is in Room 103 on the 7th floor of Agnese/Sosa.
- Associate Professor of Marketing Dr. Alberto Rubio-Sanchez’s new office is in Room 103 on the 7th floor of Agnese/Sosa
- AssociateProfessor of Business Dr. Angela Kiser is now in Room 104 on the 7th floor of Agnese/Sosa.
- Business Information Systems Instructor Timothy Porter is in Room 104 on the 7th floor of Agnese/Sosa.
- Associate Professors of Healthcare Administration Dr. Decima Christine Garcia and Dr. Kevin LaFrance are now in Room 105 on the 7th floor of Agnese/Sosa.
- Assistant Professor of Finance Dr. Philip Gibson is now in Room 106 on the 7th floor of Agnese/Sosa.
- Associate Professor of Biology Dr. Russell Raymond is in Room 106 on the 7th floor of Agnese/Sosa.
- Instructor of Physics Kristen Raaberg is in Room 107 on the 7th floor of Agnese/Sosa.
- Post-Doctoral Fellow Dr. Robert Miranda is in Room 108 on the 7th floor of Agnese/Sosa.
- Senior Instructor of Biology Benjamin McPherson is now in Room 108 on the 7th floor of Agnese/Sosa.
- Assistant Professor of Management Dr. Joshua Bazzy is in Room 109 on the 7th floor of Agnese/Sosa.
- Associate Professor of Marketing Dr. Scott Roberts’ new office is in Room 111 on the 7th floor of Agnese/Sosa.
- Senior Instructor of Quant Analysis Earl Harmsen is in Room 111 on the 7th floor of Agnese/Sosa.
- Associate Professor of Business Law Dr. Michael Forrest is in Room 112 on the 7th floor of Agnese/Sosa.
- Visiting Assistant Professor of Business Law Dr. Joseph Labatt is in Room 112 on the 7th floor of Agnese/Sosa.
- Professor of Biology Dr. Barbara Herlihy is in Room 113 on the 7th floor of Agnese/Sosa.
- Chair and Professor of Biology Dr. Bonnie McCormick is in Room 113 on the 7th floor of Agnese/Sosa.
- Coordinator of European Study Center Program Petra Kulasova is in Room 115 on the 7th floor of Agnese/Sosa.
- Assistant to Associate Provost Dr. Robert Connelly is in Room 116 on the 7th floor of Agnese/Sosa.
- Audiovisual Coordinator Rodney Evans is now in G15.
- AV Technicians Carlos Camargo and Tony Moore are now in Library G11.
Sage Research Methods
Polly McCord will present regarding Sage research methods on Saturday, Aug. 23, 10-11 a.m. For more information, please contact Farhad Moshiri at (210) 829-3842 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
top of page
Extended Academic Programs
EAP on GI Jobs Military Friendly Schools for 2015 list
EAP was named on the list of GI Jobs Military Friendly Schools for 2015.EAP’s inclusion is the sixth year in a row that the list includes the program.
top of page
- S.A. designer safe on ‘Project Runway’
- Read more here on last night’s episode.
Cheer and Dance Tryouts
UIW Athletics and UIW Spirit will host Cheer and Dance tryouts on Saturday, Aug. 23, 6-9 p.m. in the Alice P. McDermott Convocation Center. Please let students know who may be interested. Tryout fee is $15. For more information, please contact Melissa Martinez at (210) 283-6406 or UIWAthletics@uiwtx.edu. Visit www.uiw.edu/spirit for additional tryout information, including required uniforms.
Cup Runneth Over
TRiO Student Support Services will once again work with women and families in transition by collecting and assembling cup care packages.
“Cup Runneth Over” is a way in which the faculty, administrators, and staff can give something back to those experiencing difficulties in their lives. Collection of items will begin Monday, Aug. 18, 8 a.m. and run until Monday, Nov. 24, 5 p.m. Please consider donating the following:
- Mugs in good condition
- Hotel toiletries
- Toothbrushes and small toothpastes
- Individually wrapped tea bags or packets of hot chocolate
- Any other small item that would be appropriate and helpful
Items can be delivered to the TRiO Lab in AD 225. For more information or assistance with item collection, please contact TRiO Student Support Services at (210) 805-5812.
top of page
Employee Health & Wellness
Working on portion control? Try using smaller plates. That way you feel like you're eating a whole plate without overindulging.
(L-R) UIW students and faculty share a photo along with their local host on their journey to the Celsus Library in Ephesus.Read more about this fascinating journey in Sr. Martha Ann Kirk's article avaialble here.
Associate Provost Dr. Kevin Vichcales speaks on the theme “A Recipe for Success” to the incoming freshmen at the 2014 Honors Program orientation.
The Provost's Annual Workshop for Adjunct Faculty
All UIW adjunct faculty members are invited to join colleagues for breakfast and a brief informational program on Saturday, Aug. 23, 9-11 a.m. in Marian Hall Ballroom. Events will include the Provost’s up-date on new developments at the university, information on new initiatives, and displays of campus services. Please RSVP to https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/adjunctworkshop or email@example.com For more information, please contact Kathy Allwein at (210) 283-5030.
top of page
Visit St. Anthony Catholic High School at www.sachs.org.
Visit Incarnate Word High School at www.incarnatewordhs.org.
Visit the UIW Prep website at http://prep.uiw.edu.
top of page
Our sympathy and prayers go to:
- Joyce and Gilbert Ward & family on the recent loss of their daughter, Karen Ward Guckian (BBA ’07).
- The family of Eugenia Wilson Langworthy (BA ’44) on her recent death.
- Sterling and Randolph Smith & their families on the recent loss of their mother, Catherine Amsler Smith (IWHS Former Faculty).
- JoAnn and Richard Thomas on the recent loss of his brother, Rev. David Taylor Thomas (Former UIW Chaplain).
The University of the Incarnate Word provides reasonable accommodation with adequate notice. To request disability accommodation for events listed in this newsletter, visit www.uiw.edu/ada.
top of page