Photo of the Week
Dr. Agnese, Board of Trustees chairman Charlie Amato and former San Antonio Mayor Dr. Henry Cisneros prepare to attend the first pharmacy Commencement on Friday.
top of page
Our Lady’s Chapel Mass Services
All are welcome.
- Noon, Monday – Thursday. Less than 30 minutes in consideration of those on their lunch hour
- Spanish Mass at noon on Fridays
- Sunday Mass at 10:30 a.m.
- Sunday Mass at 8 p.m.
- Liturgy of the Hours evening prayer at 5 p.m. every Wednesday
top of page
The UIW Athletics Department is sponsoring Vegas Night at 7 p.m. Friday, May 14 in the Rosenberg Sky Room. All employees 21 and older are invited to enjoy dinner, games, drinks and mingling. Tickets cost $50.For more information or to purchase tickets, contact Brian Curtis at (210) 283-5052 or email@example.com.
Cristina Ariza, the director of the Learning Assistance Center, held the second annual PASS (Peer Assisted Study Sessions) luncheon to honor the students and faculty members who help make the peer mentorship program a success.
The Feik School of Pharmacy held the Oath and Hooding Ceremony for their inaugural graduating class of 67 students on May 6 at the Chapel of the Incarnate Word. Texas Sen. Leticia Van De Putte (center), a registered pharmacist, led the Oath of the Pharmacist to the school’s first class of Doctor of Pharmacy graduates.
Upcoming Alumni Events
For more information about any of these events, contact Rick Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Rock'n Red Birds Kickoff Party: From 9-11 a.m. Saturday, June 5. Meet at the UIW track at 9 a.m. Enjoy a leisurely one-mile walk around the track, or a two-mile sprint around campus to beat your best personal time. All experience levels are welcome. The event is free! To register, click here.
- Alumni Mixer: Happy hour from 6-8 p.m. Thursday, June 17 at The Ticket Sports Grill. Register here and receive 15 wings and two drinks for $10.
- Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus: This is an alumni family activity from 7:30 p.m. - 10 p.m. Friday, June 18. Only 20 tickets are available. The cost is $15. To register, click here.
- Luau and Margarita Tasting: From 6-8 p.m. Thursday, July 22 at the Cambria Suites Airport Hotel. The cost is $10.
- Dinosaur Exhibit: Alumni and their families are invited to join the dinosaur exhibit visit at 11 a.m. Saturday, July 24 at the Witte Museum. Only35 tickets are available, and they cost $10 for ages 12 and older, $4 for 11 and under. To register, click here.
- Natural Bridge Caverns Tour: Alumni and their families are invited to join the Natural Bridge Caverns tour from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 7. Only 20 tickets are available! The cost is $15 for those 12 and older and $13 for children and includes the tour and food. To register, click here.
Upcoming Athletics Events
Click here for the UIW athletics schedule.
top of page
Blackboard 9.1 Online Training
WebEx Fridays will feature online, interactive sessions on May 14, May 21, June 4, Aug. 13 and Aug. 20. Times and topics are listed below. For more information, e-mail Terry Peak at email@example.com .
9-10 a.m. – Blackboard 9 Overview
11 a.m. – noon – Create Course Content
1-2 p.m. Assessment and Grade Center
3-4 p.m. – Collaborative Tools
Blackboard Learn 9.1
The Department of Instructional Technology has identified several key features of Blackboard 9.1, and will be offering a variety of training opportunities during May, June and August to showcase these features. Visit http://support.uiwtx.edu/Training/bb9_schedule.html to review the schedule of sessions. All sessions will be held in room G16 of the Media Center. Registration is limited to eight participants per session. Register by e-mailing Terry Peak at firstname.lastname@example.org .
top of page
International Academic Online Exchanges
Would you like your students to be more engaged and grow in international understanding? Consider using an International Academic Online Exchange. Communicate with students in another country. For more information, visit www.womensglobalconnection.organdclick "Connections," then "Academic Exchange" in the lower left corner for information, examples and resources. This links to a discussion board where one may post a desire to have a partner class in another country. Men and women are invited to learn and to share through Women's Global Connection, a forum founded by the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word and developed by University of the Incarnate Word faculty and other friends.
Rock’n Red Birds Marathon Team
Sign up for the 2010 team! Signing up on the UIW team will discount your registration fee by $10 and allow you to participate in our training program. Register at www.rnrsa.com/ and click “Register.” Add the coupon code GFCSAUIW to receive $10 off your registration and be placed on our team. If you already registered, you can transfer to the UIW team at http://san-antonio.competitor.com/getfitchallenge/get-fit-challenge-transfer-request/. For more information, contact Rick Smith at (210) 829-6014. View a video of the Rock’n Red Birds 2009 San Antonio Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon & ½ Marathon team at www.uiw.edu/rockinredbirds/.
top of page
Dr. Greg Soukup and Dr. Tim Henrich, of the School of Nursing and Health Professions, published an international journal abstract titled “Differences Between Adolescents on Exercise Identity Scale (EIS) Scores By Ethnicity” in the “Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology” in June. They presented this article at the North American Society for the Psychology of Sport and Physical Activity in Austin, Texas, in June. They also presented “Comparing Pulmonary Functions and Resting Oxygen Consumption on Swimmers with Relaxed and Contracted Abdominal Muscles” with a complete abstract published in Proceedings of the annual meeting of the Texas Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance in December.
To share your news with the UIW community, send your announcements and accomplishments to Ashley Festa at email@example.com.
top of page
Incarnate Word High School announced the newly established Col. Roger J. Labat scholarship endowment on Monday. Labat served as IWHS principal from 1995-2001.
The 2010 football season kicks off at 1:30 p.m. May 15 at the SACHS field. Before the spring game there will be a powder puff game beginning at 11:30 a.m. Admission is free. There will be concession and barbecue plate sales.
SACHS Alumni Association Casino Night
The St. Anthony Catholic High School Alumni Association will hold its Texas Hold’em and Casino Night on June 18 at the SACHS gymnasium. Doors open at 6 p.m. and games will be from 7-10 p.m. Tickets cost $50 per person for Casino Night, and there is a $50 buy-in for the Hold’em Tournament (seating is limited). There will be blackjack, poker, roulette, slots and other tables games. All money raised will be allocated to the Alumni Scholarship fund. The Casino Night grand prize is a $2,000 gift card, and for Hold’em grand prize is a $500 gift card. For more information, contact Alejandro Calderon at firstname.lastname@example.org or 832-5622.
High School Graduation Schedules
- St. Anthony Catholic High School Baccalaureate Mass: 6 p.m. Friday, May 21 in the St. Anthony Chapel
- SACHS graduation: 6 p.m. Saturday, May 22 in the Convocation Center
- Incarnate Word High School Baccalaureate Mass: 10 a.m. Sunday, May 23 in the Convocation Center
- IWHS graduation: 11 a.m. Sunday, May 23 in the Convocation Center – Ticket required
Visit Incarnate Word High School at www.incarnatewordhs.org.
Visit St. Anthony Catholic High School at www.sachs.org.
top of page
Join the 2010 UIWCardinal Basketball Camp from June 28 – July 2. The camp will be from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. Monday – Thursday on the campus. The all-day camp costs $165, and the half-day camp costs $110. Faculty members and staff will receive 10 percent off. For the registration form, visit http://www.cardinalathletics.com/sports/2010/4/19/GEN_0419102326.aspx?id=66. For more information, contact Brian Curtis at (210) 283-5052 or email@example.com.
Participants will focus on fundamentals & position specific drills as taught by Cardinal football staff. Camps will be from 9 a.m. – noon June 14-17 for children in grades 4-8 and from 9 a.m. – noon June 22-25 for children in grades 9-12. Senior day will begin at 9 a.m. June 26. All camps will be at Benson Stadium at UIW. The cost is $125 if you sign up by June 1. All faculty and staff members are invited to have their children attend for a 20 percent discount. Group and military discounts are available. Senior day costs $30. For more information, contact Coach Tony Marciano at (210) 805-3026 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Printable forms are available at www.cardinalathletics.com.
Summer Fitness Program
If you’re ready to get fit and change your life, try CrossFit! CrossFit is broad and inclusive so anyone can participate! CrossFit is constantly varied, high-intensity, functional movements that can maximize fitness potential. Classes cost $275 for the summer program and will be held at the Wellness Center. For more information, visit www.elite-crossfit.com or call Jeremy Tucker at (210) 710-2248. Class schedule is below.
May 17 – Aug. 13
Monday, Wednesday, Friday
- 6-7 a.m.
- Noon – 1 p.m.
- 5-6 p.m.
top of page