Photo of the Week
Dr. Agnese presented Dr. Paul Lewis with the Presidential Teaching Award at the Faculty Luncheon on Friday.
top of page
Noon Mass and Confession Canceled Friday
There will be no noon Spanish Mass on Friday due to the Baccalaureate Mass at 5 p.m. Confessions are also cancelled. However, confession is always available by appointment or on a walk-in basis in Fr. Tom’s office, AD Room 150.
Our Lady’s Chapel Mass Services
All are welcome.
- Noon, Monday – Thursday. Less than 30 minutes in consideration of those on their lunch hour
- Spanish Mass at noon on Fridays
- Sunday Mass at 10:30 a.m.
- Sunday Mass at 8 p.m.
- Liturgy of the Hours evening prayer at 5 p.m. every Wednesday
top of page
Nursing Pinning Ceremony
The Nursing Pinning Ceremony will be at 1:30 p.m. Friday, May 7 in the Chapel of the Incarnate Word. A reception will follow at Marian Hall Ballroom.
- Baccalaureate Mass: 5-6 p.m. Friday, May 7 in the Convocation Center
- Commencement for graduate and professional programs: 7:30 p.m. Friday, May 7 in the Convocation Center – Ticket required
- Commencement for Extended Academic Programs, H-E-B School of Business & Administration and School of Nursing and Health Professions: 10 a.m. Saturday, May 8 in the Convocation Center – Ticket required
- Commencement for HASS, Dreeben School of Education, SIMD and MSE: 3 p.m. Saturday, May 8 in the Convocation Center – Ticket required
Three teams from UIW participated in the Komen 2010 Race for the Cure on Saturday, including students and faculty members from the School of Nursing and Health Professions (above). Also participating were teams from the Feik School of Pharmacy and the Dreeben School of Education.
The Mabee Library gave out free refreshments on Tuesday to provide a break during exam week.
Sodexo held a barbecue under the oak outside the library on Tuesday.
Upcoming Alumni Events
For more information about any of these events, contact Rick Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Rock'n Red Birds Kickoff Party: From 9-11 a.m. Saturday, June 5. Meet at the UIW track at 9 a.m. Enjoy a leisurely one-mile walk around the track, or a two-mile sprint around campus to beat your best personal time. All experience levels are welcome. The event is free! To register, click here.
- Alumni Mixer: Happy hour from 6-8 p.m. Thursday, June 17 at The Ticket Sports Grill. Register here and receive 15 wings and two drinks for $10.
- Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus: This is an alumni family activity from 7:30 p.m. - 10 p.m. Friday, June 18. Only 20 tickets are available. The cost is $15. To register, click here.
- Luau and Margarita Tasting: From 6-8 p.m. Thursday, July 22 at the Cambria Suites Airport Hotel. The cost is $10.
- Dinosaur Exhibit: Alumni and their families are invited to join the dinosaur exhibit visit at 11 a.m. Saturday, July 24 at the Witte Museum. Only35 tickets are available, and they cost $10 for ages 12 and older, $4 for 11 and under. To register, click here.
- Natural Bridge Caverns Tour: Alumni and their families are invited to join the Natural Bridge Caverns tour from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 7. Only 20 tickets are available! The cost is $15 for those 12 and older and $13 for children and includes the tour and food. To register, click here.
Veterans Benefits Information Session
A veterans benefits information session will be held at 6 p.m. May 12 at the ICC auditorium. For more information or to RSVP, contact Karen Wyatt at email@example.com or Ext. 2705.
The UIW Athletics Department is sponsoring Vegas Night at 7 p.m. Friday, May 14 in the Rosenberg Sky Room. All employees 21 and older are invited to enjoy dinner, games, drinks and mingling. Tickets cost $50.For more information or to purchase tickets, contact Brian Curtis at (210) 283-5052 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upcoming Athletics Events
Click here for the UIW athletics schedule.
top of page
Blackboard 9.1 Online Training
WebEx Fridays will feature online, interactive sessions on May 14, May 21, June 4, Aug. 13 and Aug. 20. Times and topics are listed below. For more information, e-mail Terry Peak at email@example.com .
9-10 a.m. – Blackboard 9 Overview
11 a.m. – noon – Create Course Content
1-2 p.m. Assessment and Grade Center
3-4 p.m. – Collaborative Tools
Blackboard Learn 9.1
The Department of Instructional Technology has identified several key features of Blackboard 9.1, and will be offering a variety of training opportunities during May, June and August to showcase these features. Visit http://support.uiwtx.edu/Training/bb9_schedule.html to review the schedule of sessions. All sessions will be held in room G16 of the Media Center. Registration is limited to eight participants per session. Register by e-mailing Terry Peak at firstname.lastname@example.org .
top of page
UIW in the News
Pharmacy school sees first grads
Clark's Shaneve Swift to compete in track at UIW
Mother beats the odds to earn her degree
Note of Thanks from Dean Arcelia Johnson-Fannin
The development of the Feik School of Pharmacy has been an incredible journey for so many. The faculty and staff come from all over the country, from diverse backgrounds and a variety of experiences. Each has made a commitment to our common goal. I would like to take this moment, the eve of our first graduation, to pay tribute to the entire UIW family who contributed selflessly to the success of this endeavor. As we reach this milestone we offer our heartfelt thanks to each and every one of you. You gave of your time and talents. You uplifted our spirits and applauded our accomplishments along the way. We could not have done it without you. This adventure is, and will continue to be, life-altering. I expect this school and its impact to withstand the test of time and make a positive mark on the future. From all of us in the Feik School of Pharmacy, thank you for making the trip with us!
Arcelia Johnson-Fannin and the faculty and staff of the Feik School of Pharmacy
top of page
Dr. David Foglesong, from the department of biology,presented a poster on his researchentitled “Activation of DNA topoisomerase I and DNA topoisomerase II in nuclei of interleukin-2-treated HuT 78 cells” at the annual meeting of the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology in Anaheim, Calif., from April 23-28. The following graduate students were coauthors on this study: Minh-Hieu Pham, Navya Kondapalli, Adi Singh, Tripti Jaiswal, Jingjing Ma and Leonard Contreras.
Faculty Baccalaureate Supper
The Faculty Senate will be hosting its annual Baccalaureate Supper from 3-4:45 p.m. May 7 in the library Special Collections Suite. Dr. Susan Hall and Ana Gonzales' team of experts will offer opportunities to learn more about the upcoming changes to Blackboard. For more information, contact Ramona Parker at email@example.com.
To share your news with the UIW community, send your announcements and accomplishments to Ashley Festa at firstname.lastname@example.org.
top of page
SACHS PTC General Meeting
You are invited to the St. Anthony Catholic High School PTC general meeting at 6 p.m. May 11 in the St. Anthony chapel. On the agenda is the election of the 2010-11 board members and a presentation from Fr. Ted Pfeifer, O.M.I. on “When the Wolves Came: A Memoir.” Books will be available for purchase after the meeting. Following the meeting there will be a viewing of our pre-Hispanic exhibit. The art is on loan from UNAM. There will be snacks and drinks in the cafeteria. For more information, contact Alejandro Calderon at 832-5622 or email@example.com.
The 2010 football season kicks off at 1:30 p.m. May 15 at the SACHS field. Before the spring game we will have a powder puff game beginning at 11:30 a.m. Admission is free. There will be concession and barbecue plate sales.
SACHS Alumni Association Casino Night
The St. Anthony Catholic High School Alumni Association will hold its Texas Hold’Em and Casino Night on June 18 at the SACHS gymnasium. Doors open at 6 p.m. and games will be from 7-10 p.m. Tickets cost $50 per person for Casino Night, and there is a $50 buy-in for the Hold’em Tournament (seating is limited). There will be black jack, poker, roulette, slots and other tables games. All money raised will be allocated to the Alumni Scholarship fund. The Casino Night grand prize is a $2,000 gift card, and for Hold’em grand prize is a $500 gift card. For more information, contact Alejandro Calderon at firstname.lastname@example.org or 832-5622.
High School Graduation Schedules
- St. Anthony Catholic High School Baccalaureate Mass: 6 p.m. Friday, May 21 in the St. Anthony Chapel
- SACHS graduation: 6 p.m. Saturday, May 22 in the Convocation Center
- Incarnate Word High School Baccalaureate Mass: 10 a.m. Sunday, May 23 in the Convocation Center
- IWHS graduation: 11 a.m.Sunday, May 23 in the Convocation Center – Ticket required
Visit Incarnate Word High School at www.incarnatewordhs.org.
Visit St. Anthony Catholic High School at www.sachs.org.
top of page
Our prayers & sympathy go to:
- Jerry Calhoun & family on the recent loss of his wife, Jean Beuret Calhoun (SR School of Nursing ’47).
- Yvonne Davila (Nursing Faculty, IWHS ‘83) & family on the recent loss of her mother, Dolores L. Arias.
- The family of Hortense F. Buchanan (Bachelor of Music ’63, BA ’84) on her recent death.
- Patrick B. Harris Jr. & family on the recent loss of his wife, Beverly W. Harris (BSN ’62).
- Doris & Erwin Olexa & family on the recent loss of her sister, and the Sisters of the Incarnate Word and Blessed Sacrament in Houston on the recent loss of Sr. Damian Kuhn, CVI (BA ’58).
- Marcia & Richard Linton (UIW friends) & family on the recent loss of their daughter, Holly Katherine Linton.
- The Sisters of St. Mary of Namur and the family of Sr. Mary Rose Lopresto, SSMN (BA ’59) on her recent death.
- Marveen Mahon (UIW Director of Health Services) and Dr. Keith Tucker (UIW Director of Personal Counseling) on the recent loss of her father, and Anna Leigh Green (BA ’08) on the recent loss of her grandfather Dr. Edward Lamar Mahon.
- Brenda McLane & family on the recent loss of her husband, Michael S. McLane (ADCaP faculty).
- Mark Papich (UIW Director of Athletics) & family on the recent loss of his father, Donald Papich.
- William L. Pryor & family on the recent loss of his wife, Sharyn Elizabeth Pryor (BSN ’81).
- Guido E. Ransleben Jr. & family on the recent loss of his wife, Glynn Eleanor Wallace Ransleben (IWHS ’48, BA ’51, MA ’69).
- Judy (IWHS ’69) & Tommy Kotzur on the recent loss of her mother, Antoinette Marie Franger Schultze (SR School of Nursing ’43).
- The family of Herbert John Spiro (UIW friend) on his recent death.
- The family of Rita House Williams (BA ’36) on her recent death.
- Tere Dresner-Salinas (Executive Director of Women’s Global Connection) upon the anniversary of the passing of her husband, Danny J. Salinas (MBA ’02).
top of page