Photo of the Week
Dr. Mary Ruth Moore, UIW’s 2009-10 Moody Professor, presented this year’s Moody Lecture on “Creating a World Where Play = Learning: Integrating Play and Wonder into Our Cultural Institutions and Schools” on Tuesday to a crowd of about 80 listeners.
top of page
University Mission and Ministry held a prayer service for the people of Haiti on Thursday.
All are welcome.
- Noon, Monday – Thursday, in Our Lady's Chapel. Less than 30 minutes in consideration of those on their lunch hour
- Spanish Mass at noon on Fridays in Our Lady's Chapel
- Sunday Mass at 10:30 a.m. in Our Lady's Chapel
- Sunday Mass at 8 p.m.
Specific prayer intentions may be e-mailed to one of the
Mission and Ministry
firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
top of page
The UIW Pre-Pharmacy Association “The Remedies” is holding a blood drive from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. Feb. 1- 2 at the roundabout in front of Marian Hall. The South Texas Blood & Tissue Center is in need of donors, and you could save as many as three lives with a single donation. Donors will get a t-shirt and a complete cholesterol and blood type profile. Donors must be a minimum of 17 years of age, weigh at least 110 pounds,be in good health, hydrate prior to donation and avoid aspirin 48 hours before donating. A photo ID is required.For more information, contact Diana Dimas at (210) 829-2703 or email@example.com.
UIW will participate in a 10-week nationwide college recycling competition called RecycleMania. RecycleMania is a friendly competition and benchmarking tool for college and university recycling programs to promote waste-reduction activities. Over the 10-week period, schools will report recycling and trash data, which will be ranked among other participating schools. Help us make RecycleMania a successful tradition. The event will last from Jan. 27 through March 27. Participate by taking your recyclables to the blue recycling containers located around campus. Recyclable items include paper, magazines, newspapers, aluminum, cardboard, plastics #1 and #2, and steel cans. For more information, contact Iris Ayala at firstname.lastname@example.org or (210) 663-3373.
Dr. Agnese speaks to Brainpower Connection students at the Brainpower Mass on Wednesday morning.
The first Medical Tourism Research Conference in the world kicked off on Wednesday hosted by the Center for Medical Tourism, a part of the H-E-B School of Business and Administration.
Graduate Nursing Students Visit
Graduate nursing students from Monterrey, Mexico, visited the UIW campus this week to gain insight into nursing in the U.S. and resume coursework for the spring semester. These students are in their fourth semester of the graduate nursing program. Previous courses have been taught in Monterrey by UIW faculty. Their ultimate goal is to receive a Master of Nursing degree from the University of the Incarnate Word.
The Faculty Senate will hold a reception to honor Dr. Neeta Singh, nominee for the Piper Award, and Dr. Caroline Spana, recipient of the Robert J. Connelly Award. The reception will be from 4-6 p.m. Feb. 3 in the Special Collections Suite in the J.E. & L.E. Mabee Library. For more information, contact Dr. Laura R. Muñoz at 805-3033.
Alumni Night at Cowboy’s Dance Hall
The next UIW alumni event is Thursday, Feb. 4 at Cowboy’s Dance Hall. The evening costs $10 per person, which includes admission, dance lessons at 7:30 p.m., food and one drink (beer or soda). Food will be served from 7-8 p.m. in a separate alumni area upstairs. Register online at www.uiwalumni.org/cowboys. Sign up ASAP because having a large, early rush of registrants online will help us estimate the amount of food to purchase from the caterer. For more information, contact Rick Smith at (210) 829-6014 or email@example.com. Thank you for your continued participation in the UIW Alumni Association as we continue to strengthen the bond between our alumni and our beloved alma mater.
2010 Pierre Lecture
The University of the Incarnate Word Religious Studies Department presents the 2010 Pierre Lecture, titled “Solidarity and Collaboration: The Moral Foundations of Health Care Reform.” Sr. Carol Keehan, president and CEO of the Catholic Health Association of the United States, will speak at 7 p.m. Monday, Feb. 8 in the Rosenberg Sky Room. The lecture is free and open to the public. For more information, visit www.uiw.edu/rstudies or contact Dr. Julie B. Miller at (210) 283-5062 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
UIW Job Fair
Career Services will hold a UIW Job Fair from 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. Thursday, March 4 in the Rosenberg Sky Room. Ask students to bring resumes and their student ID and to dress professionally. For more information, call Connie Kuwamoto at 832-5627.
top of page
Skillport Offers Books24x7
In addition to video-based courses, Skillport also allows users to access Books24x7, an award-winning collection of more than 8,400 titles including contributions from top name publishers. Books24x7 will enable you to build computer skills, pass certification exams, and enhance learning. Features of Books24x7 include:
- Enhanced notes capability allowing users to pin notes to a page at the paragraph and title level, as well as add notes inside a title's table of contents.
- Quick bookmarks that will allow users to bookmark a page once without leaving the page - a virtual “dog-ear.”
- The Books24x7 site will adapt to the user’s screen size. The screen size 1024 x 768 provides 60 percent more space
- Books 24x7 adds new titles monthly including; Office 2007, Windows 7, QuickBooks, Photoshop, iPhone applications, and a host of other titles on programming and software applications
Log into SkillPort at http://uiwtx.skillport.com and search Books24x7. All UIW employees are eligible to use this service. For assistance with your login or for more information, contact Terry Peak at email@example.com or at 829-3920.
Welcome to Mobile UIW!
iPhone users at UIW, join us in downloading the first crop of UIW-specific iPhone applications! The newly released UIW applications for the iPhone include:
- UIW faculty and staff directory
- UIW athletics channel
- UIW’s own YouTube channel
- UIW images – scenes and photos from around UIW
- UIW emergency call button – contact UIW police in the event of emergency
Upcoming iPhone applications coming for you this spring:
- UIW course catalog and registration application
- KUIW Live!
- UIW GPS System
- Calendar and events
To get your UIW iPhone applications, go to: http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/university-incarnate-word/id337575414. As always, if you need help, contact the UIW Help Desk at Ext. 2721.
top of page
Media Center Print Stations
The Media Center now has four Express Print stations.These computers are in the foyer area of the Media Center and are dedicated for quick printing only. No more waiting for an open PC. Students can come into the Media Center, call up a document or project, print it via an adjacent Go Print station and be on their way. For more information, call the Media Center at Ext. 3945.
Crosswalk Safety Concerns Addressed
In response to the traffic hazards at the Burr and Broadway intersection, Lou Fox, the assistant to the president for community relations & campus security, has been working cooperatively with the City of San Antonio to create a safer Burr/Broadway crossing. Now when a pedestrian presses the crosswalk button, all the traffic lights will turn red for about 20 seconds, allowing the pedestrian an adequate amount of time to cross.Campus Police will continue to monitor the crosswalk. Please still be careful when crossing.
Quirk Deadline Approaching
QUIRK 2010 is seeking the best works of literature and visual art (poems, short stories, essays, songs, photographs, paintings, drawings, fashion designs, etc.) created by writers and artists throughout the UIW community for publication in this year’s edition. UIW faculty, staff and students may submit work.The deadline is Jan. 31. Submission guidelines:
- Submissions must be original and must not have been previously published or exhibited.
- Art work needs to have a title but cannot identify the artist in any way
- Submit a separate document where you state the title and media/genre of each of your submissions, your name and contact information (E-mail preferred)
To submit your work, send a digital copy to firstname.lastname@example.org or a paper copy to Dr. Stampfl at CPO 441. For more information, visit www.uiw.edu/quirk or contact Stampfl at 829-3885.
Tips for a Healthy You
This year we will highlight tips leading up to the Red Dress Fashion Show and Health Fair on Tuesday, Feb. 9.
Today’s Tip: Be selective. Instead of reaching for a candy bar, have a few nuts, a piece of cheese or fruit. Foods such as sweets, soda and fruit juice are high in calories and can cause you to feel hungry soon after eating.
Help Desk Holds Saturday Hours
Technology Services have made the following adjustments to service hours to accommodate the university’s technical support and audio visual needs.
- On Saturdays, a Help Desk technician will be working at the Media Center to resolve faculty/student/stafftechnical support issues between 8 a.m. and noon.
- The Help Desk calls will be forwarded to the Media Center on Saturdays
- The Media Center will open its doors at 8 a.m. as opposed to 1 p.m.
- Students can now use the Media Center between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.
The Help Desk staff will be at their current location in the Administration Building Monday through Friday. For more information, contact the Help Desk at 829-2721.
top of page
Dr. Sara Kolb, Irene Gillespie, Maria Gillespie andDr. Amy Witte, all of the School of Nursing and Health Professions, Dr. Jean Deliganis, parish nurse at St. Phillips of Jesus, and PerlaZarate-Abbott, a foot-care nurse at the Health Ministry, co-presented a poster titled “Effects of ‘Blood Pressure Classes’ Among Hypertensive Mexican American Women” at the 34th National Association of Hispanic Nurses Association Conference in July in San Antonio.
To share your news with the UIW community, send your announcements and accomplishments to Ashley Festa at email@example.com.
top of page
Salsa & Scholarship Fundraiser
Incarnate Word High School & Viola’s Huge Heart Foundation invites families, friends and alumnae to our first Salsa & Scholarship Fundraiser from 4-8 p.m. Sunday, March 7 at La Hacienda de Los Barrios at 18747 Redland Road. Enjoy an evening filled with fun, friendship, fajitas, beverages, entertainment and a silent auction. Advance tickets cost $25 per person 13 years and older. Children under 13 eat free. For ticket information, call 832-2143 or visit www.incarnatewordhs.org.
Visit Incarnate Word High School at www.incarnatewordhs.org.
Visit St. Anthony Catholic High School at www.sachs.org.
top of page
Upcoming Athletics Events
Click here for the UIW athletics schedule.
Our sympathy and prayers go to the following:
- Crystal Campos (UIW Special Events Coordinator) (BA ’07) & family on the recent loss of her grandfather, Nicholas E. Campos Jr.
- The family of the Rev. Victor Manuel Carrillo (BS ’77) on his recent death.
- The family of the Hon. Solomon Casseb Jr. (UIW friend) on his recent death.
- Robin Logan (UIW Director of Institutional Research) & family on the recent loss of her nephew, Seth Harris Collier.
- Lillian G. Evetts Spieckermann (BA ’45, MA ’73) & family on the recent loss of her sister Ada Claire Evetts Chiampa (attended IWHS & UIW).
- Sr. Alice Holden, CCVI (ALND ’58) and Sr. Joan Holden, CCVI (ALND ’71) & family on the recent loss of their sister, Ellen Holden Clark (Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word Associate).
- Lucile Martinez Dalkowitz (BSN ’55, M.Ed. ’84) & family on the recent loss of her husband, Dr. Marcus B. Dalkowitz.
- The family of Lula Josephine Jennings Elliott (UIW School Nurse) on her recent death.
- The family of JoAnn Hirzel Ferguson (BSN ’53) on her recent death.
- Richard “Rick” (UIW Development Board) (MA ’88) & Marion Fink & family on the recent loss of their son, Jeff Fink.
- Margarita Gonzalez Freymann (BS ’55) & family on the recent loss of her husband, Carlos Freymann.
- The Sisters of the Incarnate Word and Blessed Sacrament & the family of Sr. M. Scholastica Friesenhahn, IWBS (MA ’65) on her recent death.
- Carol Morales (UIW HR Specialist) (BA ’06) & family on the recent loss of her grandmother, Estella G. Ibarra.
- Norman (SACHS ’63) & Sylvia (UIW Development) (IWHS ’71) Kutschenreuter & family on the recent loss of his mother, Winifred L. Kutschenreuter.
- Lucilla “Lucy” Lawrence (BS ’59) & family on the recent loss of her husband, Thomas G. Lawrence.
- Dr. Keith D. Tucker (UIW Director of Personal Counseling) & Marveen Mahon (Director of Health Services) & family on the recent loss of her mother, Betty Stephens Mahon, R.N.
- Irving W. Marbach & family on the recent loss of his wife, Janet Johnson Marbach (BA ’73).
- Frank A. Mery (UIW friend) & family on the recent loss of his brother, Peter Brian Mery.
- Dr. Jerome “Jerry” (Former Development Board) & Pam Messer (BSN ’68) Schmidt & family on the recent loss of her mother, Marian J. Messer.
- Cherilyn Pennartz Mezzetti (BA ’76) & family on the recent loss of her husband, Patrick H. Mezzetti.
- Michael Moon (UIW Nursing Faculty) & family on the recent loss of his father, James Ronald Moon.
- The family of Mary Frances Mueller (UIW friend) on her recent death.
- Debbie Patton (UIW Academic Advisor, Goodyear) & family on the recent loss of her mother, Velma Patton-Jackson.
- Lt. Col. Daniel C. Perkins Jr. & family on the recent loss of his wife, Belva Dean Robertson Perkins (BS ’53).
- The Hon. Charles A. Gonzalez (UIW friend) & family on the recent loss of his sister, Rose Mary Gonzalez Ramos.
- Florinda Delgado (IWHS Library) & family on the recent loss of her father, Guadalupe Z. Rodriguez.
- Henry “Hank” (UIW Communication Arts Faculty) (MA ’98) & Mary Rogers McDonnell & family on the recent loss of her father, Dr. Albert M. Rogers.
- The family of Cassandra Stockton Rousseau (IWHS ’52, UNDL ’56) on her recent death.
- Karen Sacre Al Bahloly (BA ’73) and Gail Sacre Rodriguez (BA’76) & their families on the recent loss of Ida Lillian Sacre (BA ’69).
- Paul & Denise (BA ’83) Spadafore Aelvoet & family on the recent loss of her father, Orlando John Spadafore.
- Sr. Maria Teresa Flores, CCVI, Ph.D (IWHS ’62, BA ’68, MA ’77) and Alfredo Flores Jr. (Former Development Board) & their families on the recent loss of their aunt, Blasa “Betsy” Tamez.
- David & Lois (BS ’68) Thigpen & family on the recent loss of his father, David Crockett Thigpen, Sr.
- Doug & Paula Miller (UIW friends) & family on the recent loss of her father, Patrick C. Traugott, Sr.
- Ronald & Connie Verette (BS ’72) Fioravanti & family on the recent loss of her father, Clifford Anthony Verette.
- Jose & Maria del Carmen (BS ’61) Barrera & family on the recent loss of her mother, Elvira C. Zardenetta
top of page