Photo of the Week
Dr. Agnese gives a autographed football to
Alberto Bustani, the president of Monterrey Tech during the goodwill exchange before the first Cardinal football game on Saturday.
top of page
Sacrament of Reconciliation
The Sacrament of Reconciliation (Individual Confession) will be celebrated each Friday at noon in Our Lady's Chapel.
Confirmation Class begins at 7 p.m. Sept. 10. This class is for Catholics who have not yet completed the Sacraments of Initiation (Eucharist and Confirmation). For more information including the TBA location and to enroll, contact University Chaplain Fr. Tom Dymowski, O.SS.T. at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All are welcome.
- Noon, Monday – Thursday, in Our Lady's Chapel. Less than 30 minutes in consideration of those on their lunch hour
- Sunday Mass at 10:30 a.m. in Our Lady's Chapel
- Sunday Mass at 8 p.m.
Specific prayer intentions may be e-mailed to one of the Campus Ministry staff:
email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
top of page
Help Needed for Phonathon
Phonathon is in need of at least 75 student and staff volunteers to complete this year’s weeklong event. The event will be in the ICC Room L2 and needs 25 callers per night at the following times:
- Sunday Sept. 13 from 4-10 pm
- Monday-Wednesday, Sept. 14-16 from 6-10 p.m.
- Saturday, Sept. 19 from 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Sunday Sept. 20 from 4-10 p.m.
Student volunteers are asked to make calls to alumni for two nights, and they will receive on-campus community service hours. Faculty and staff are invited to call and to assist with Banner updates. To participate, contact Patrick Greener at (210) 805-5832 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meet the Mission
The fourth annual Meet the Mission is only a week away. There are more than 30 faculty members participating this year.As the participating faculty recruit students from their classes, early recruiting estimates suggest more than 200 students will be participating in this year’s Meet the Mission. The teams of faculty and students will be providing service to more than 20 social-services providers in San Antonio. For more information, contact Harold Rodinsky at (210) 323-5424 or email@example.com.
State of the Campus Address
Dr. Agnese will deliver the State of the Campus address at noon Thursday, Sept. 24 in the Coates Theatre.
UIW Alumni Theatre Gatherings
Join UIW Alumni for upcoming theatre productions including two UIW productions and three shows from the Broadway series at the Majestic Theatre. Check www.uiwalumni.org for the most updated information, including event meeting times and show times. For more information, contact the Department of Alumni Relations at (210) 829-6014 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Purchase tickets by going to www.uiwalumni.org or by calling (210) 829-6014.
- Sunday, Oct. 4: “Mary’s Wedding” at UIW
- Thursday, Oct. 22: “Rain – A Tribute to the Beatles” at the Majestic Theatre Tickets on sale now
- Thursday, Dec. 17: “The Lion King” at the Majestic Theatre. Tickets on sale now
- Sunday, Feb. 21: “The Lady’s Not For Burning” at UIW
- Thursday, May 6: “101 Dalmatians” at the Majestic Theatre Tickets on sale now
Remembering and Reclaiming Sept. 11
You are invited to a Ramadan Iftar, a special Muslim dinner.About a hundred years before the tragedy ofSept. 11, 2001, Mahatma Gandhi explained the power of nonviolence and human relationships on Sept. 11. Join the UIW community at "Building Friendship, Enjoying Ramadan, Remembering and Reclaiming September 11" at 6:30 p.m. Friday, Sept. 11 in Marian Hall Ballroom. There will be talks and an opportunity to make friends before the breaking of the fast at sunset, at about 8 p.m. Co-sponsored by MAS-Freedom, the Muslim American Society, the San Antonio Muslim Women's Association, and UIW Liturgical Outreach. Please RSVP to email@example.com or 829-3854 with the number attendingso enough food will be prepared.
The political science department will be hosting a guest speaker for Constitution Day, Sept. 17.Dr. James Riddlesperger of TCU will speak on “Honoring the Constitution: Presidential Power v. Presidential Authority” at 6 p.m. Sept. 17 in Bonilla Science Hall Room 129. Everyone is welcome. For more information, contact Lydia Andrade at firstname.lastname@example.org.
top of page
Health Services Informational Letter
Health Services has issued an informational letter to the community concerning H1N1.To read the letter, visit the Health Services Web site at www.uiw.edu/health/currentissues.html.
top of page
Labor Day Holiday
Monday, Sept. 7 is the Labor Day holiday. UIW offices will be closed.
Rebroadcast of Football Game
Univision is rebroadcasting last Saturday's Cardinal football game at 10 a.m. Saturday Sept. 5 on channel 41. They have condensed it into one hour. A large portion is video from UIW TV. The broadcast will be in Spanish.
On Sept. 2 at about 10:30 a.m., UIW issued a test of the UIW emergency Rave alert system. If you did not receive a UIW Rave Alert text message or e-mail, please go online and register your current information at www.getrave.com. By doing so, you can help us keep you informed and ensure that you will receive all future emergency and closure notifications regarding our campus. If you received a Rave Alert in your junk e-mail box, mark the e-mail as “Not Junk” to receive the messages to your inbox.
UIW Social Media Presence
UIW has launched a Facebook page and Twitter account for prospective students, current community members and alumni. The Facebook page may be accessed from the Admissions' main page, and the Twitter feed, @uiwcardinals, may also be accessed from www.uiw.edu/admissions. Have an announcement for either Facebook or Twitter? Send them to Web development at email@example.com for posting or tweeting.
Learning Assistance Center
The Learning Assistance Center welcomes all UIW students to take advantage of our peer tutoring, study hall and testing services. For hours and available subjects, see our Web site at www.uiw.edu/lac. For more information, contact Amanda Johnston at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Peace Day Proposals Welcome
The Peace Day planning committee is now reviewing and scheduling presentations for Peace Day, which will be Oct. 28. If you or your group has a possible presentation for Peace Day or the season around that time, submit your ideas to the planning committee so they can be well publicized. See background information in“Social Justice Explored in Peace Fairs andPeace Days” at www.uiw.edu/PeaceDay/. To submit your idea, contactSr. Martha Ann Kirk at email@example.com or 829-3854.
top of page
Faculty Member Receives Award
At the Ramadan Civic Iftar-2009, "Ramadan: A Month of Sharing: Building Bridges of Mutual Understanding" with
San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro and Balcones Heights Mayor Suzanne DeLeon, the Muslim American Society Freedom Foundation (a civic and human rights advocacy group) presented Sr. Martha Ann Kirk, CCVI, with a special award. Imam Mahdi Bray, executive director of the Washington, D.C. office presided. (August 28, 2009, Omni Hotel) Kirk’s photo essay on Iraqi refugees from her research trips to Jordan and the "Creating Art, Creating Friendship" on-going project at UIW is being published by Catholic Relief Services at www.crscollege.org. Educators are invited to use this Web site which connects key global issues such as hunger, migration, HIV and AIDS, and international poverty to the university classroom and campus.
To share your news with the UIW community, send your announcements and accomplishments to Ashley Festa at firstname.lastname@example.org.
top of page
Visit Incarnate Word High School at www.incarnatewordhs.org.
Visit St. Anthony Catholic High School at www.sachs.org.
top of page
Upcoming Athletics Events
Click here for the UIW athletics schedule.
Our sympathy and prayers go to the following:
- Lori Conger & family on the recent loss of her husband, Robert Paschal Conger (UIW friend).
- Daniel Grahmann & family on the recent loss of his wife, and Stonewall & Lisa Grahmann Fisher (IWHS ’81, BS ’83) on the recent loss of her mother, Rosalie Rice Grahmann (IWHS ’56, BS ’60).
- Robert Hausser & family on the recent loss of his wife, Maurine Sasser Hausser (UIW friend).
- James & Gina Inglett (BA ’97) & family on the recent loss of his mother, Martha Ingle Inglett.
- Louise Lande Oppenheimer & family on the recent loss of her mother, Libby Lande Oppenheimer (ALND ‘41, former Board of Trustees member).
- Faye Stover Ripper (BA ’92) & family on the recent loss of her husband, Harold F. Ripper.
- Melissa Rucker (UIW Library) & family on the recent loss of her grandmother, Louise C. Rucker.
- Kathleen McGrath Rynkowski (BS ’03) & family on the recent loss of her husband, Leonard A. Rynkowski (former UIW staff).
- Blanca Sanchez Navarro Materne & family on the recent loss of Gwen Sanchez Navarro Sandefur (IWHS ’54, BA ’57, MA ’66).
- Benjamin Shaver & family on the recent loss of his wife, Evelyn J. Shaver (SR School of Nursing ’41).
- John (UIW faculty) & Katherine (UIW faculty) Velasquez & family on the recent loss of his mother, Maria Madgalena Sosa Velasquez.
top of page