Photo of the Week
Rosalinda Villarreal, the secretary to pharmacy practice, wished Sr. Audrey O’Mahony well as Itza Casanova looks on at the secretaries’ farewell lunch for her in the Special Collections Suite of the library on July 7.
top of page
Mass is celebrated Monday through Thursday at noon in Our Lady's Chapel. It lasts less than 30 minutes in consideration of those who come during the lunch hour. This is the permanent schedule until further notice. Mass on Sundays continues at 10:30 a.m. in Our Lady's Chapel.
Updated Weekly Reflection
For this week's Campus Ministry message by Trevor Alexander visit: www.uiw.edu/campusministry.
Specific prayer intentions may be e-mailed to one of the Campus Ministry staff:
firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
top of page
The Office of Admissions will be offering August Twilight Tours to prospective students at 7 p.m. Aug. 11, 17 and 31 starting in the Kathleen Watson Enrollment Center. For more information, visit www.uiw.edu/admissions/schedulevisit.html or call Vickoria Raygoza at (210) 805-3551.
Optometry Startup Celebration
The University of the Incarnate Word invites you to celebrate the startup of our School of Optometry at 10 a.m. Tuesday, Aug. 25 at the Datapoint location, 9729 Datapoint Drive. For more information, call the Office of Public Relations at 829-6001.
San Antonio Rock ‘N’ Roll Marathon – Start Training Now
The 2009 San Antonio Rock ‘N’ Roll Marathon will be Sunday, Nov. 15, and UIW has a team who will be taking part in the Get Fit Challenge (GFC). The GFC offers a $10 discount, access to training tools and more. There’s no pressure to finish within a certain time period. To be part of the UIW Team, or for registration information, contact the alumni office at email@example.com or (210) 829-6014.
top of page
Instructional Technology Summer Training Schedule
The Department of Instructional Technology is offering free training opportunities to faculty and staff this summer. Classes held in Mabee Library Room G16 are limited to eight participants. All other sessions are limited to 20 participants and will take place in Mabee Library Room 230. Make reservations via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org. At least five participants must register for each session in order for the session to take place. Please contact Terry Peak if you are unable to attend a session so that he can offer your seat to someone else. To view the schedule, please visit http://support.uiwtx.edu/Training/Docs/Summer_IT_schedule_09.pdf
top of page
UIW in the News
UIW football coaches were participants at a Tailgate Talk hosted by San Antonio Sports on July 30 at Sunset Station.They talked about college football and recruiting. The discussion will air on "The Newsmaker Hour" on KSTX, 89.1 FM at 7 p.m. Friday, Aug. 14.
For UIW, the only direction to go is up
Synchronized swimmer Lyssa Wallace: From UIW to USA
Local events: 08.07.09-08.13.09
United Way/Days of Caring
UIW has again teamed up with United Way for its annual Days of Caring. Our day to participate will be Friday, Oct. 2.Our project will once again be setting up and providing staffing for an October-themed carnival on the grounds of the San Antonio State Hospital.The carnival is a monthly event sponsored by the SASH Volunteer Service Council for the residents.Council members will help and supervise.UIW volunteers will leave UIW by bus at 8 a.m.Upon arrival, we will have an orientation, begin set-up and operate the carnival from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.Duties include staffing games, arts and crafts, drinks, snow-cones, popcorn, face-painting, etc., and some volunteers will provide help with the serving line for lunch. Take down, clean up, and evaluation will be from 1-2:30 p.m., returning to UIW by 3 p.m. Lunch, snacks and soft drinks will be provided.To volunteer, contact Roslyn Grimes at email@example.com or 829-2748 by Aug. 18. This was a fun and rewarding opportunity last year, and everyone who participated wanted to return to the site again this year!
UIW Alumni Red Zone Tickets
The UIW Alumni Red Zone is the official pre-game picnic for all UIW alumni and families! You don’t have to be a graduate to enjoy the festivities; everyone is welcome! Food, drinks and fun will be served at every home football game in the 2009 season. The picnic opens three hours before kickoff and ends 30 minutes before kickoff. There will also be a football toss game for children. Advance tickets cost $10 for adults and $7 for children, and game-day tickets cost $15 and $10. For more information, contact the Department of Alumni Relations at (210) 829-6014 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For a short video and to buy tickets, visit www.uiw.edu/uiwalumniredzone.
2009 Football Season Ticket Payroll Deduction Option
Each employee will receive one general admission ticket to the Cardinals’ home games, but you may choose to buy a package seating instead. If you would like payroll deduction for a ticket package, stop by the Grants Accounting office in AD 186 to fill out the payroll deduction form. For more information, contact Michael R. Castilleja at 805-3571 or email@example.com.
Ticket Package Options
- Black Club Level: $649 – Seating section C&D – Package includes: two seats under the press box awning with personal chair backs, one Black Club parking space, and a catered buffet. Meet with Coach Santiago for pre-game analysis, halftime analysis and post-came analysis. There will be a cash bar at these events.
- Red Level: $250 – Seating section C&D – Package includes: two seats with personal chair backs and 1 Red Level parking space.
- Red Individual: $125 – Seating section C&D – Package includes: one seat with personal chair back.
- Premium Tailgate Package: $1,000 – Package includes: four Red Level seats with personal chair backs in section C&D, one field-side tailgate space.
- General Reserved Tailgate Package: $750 – Package includes: four Red Level seats with personal chair backs in section C&D, one tailgate space behind Natatorium.
Order Parking Permits Online
Order your 2009-2010 parking permit online through Cardinal Cars on the Banner Web Self-Service site. Instructions are available at http://www.uiw.edu/busoff/parking.htm. Cardinal Cars will allow you to register your vehicle information online and order your permit. Once completed, your designated permit will be mailed to your permanent address on file. Please verify your permanent address while in Self-Service, under the Personal Information Menu. For more information, contact the Business Office at (210) 829-6043.
The Word Distribution
The Word alumni magazines have been distributed on campus. If you would like a copy and did not receive one, you may request one from the Office of Public Relations. If you do not wish to keep your copy, please return it to PR at CPO 316 so we can distribute to others and reduce waste. The magazine is also available online at www.uiw.edu/thewordonline.
top of page
Dr. Gregory Soukup and Dr. Tim Henrich, professors of kinesiology, had a study accepted for a poster presentation for the North American Societyfor the Psychology of Sport and Physical Activity international conference which washeld in Austin, Texas, in June.The study is titled “Differences Between Adolescents onExercise Identity Scale (EIS) Scores By Ethnicity.” Theabstract will also be published in the“Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology.”
To share your news with the UIW community, send your announcements and accomplishments to Ashley Festa at firstname.lastname@example.org.
top of page
Visit Incarnate Word High School at www.incarnatewordhs.org.
Visit St. Anthony Catholic High School at www.sachs.org.
top of page
Upcoming Athletics Events
Click here for the UIW athletics schedule.
Our sympathy & prayers go to the following:
- Denise “Dee Dee” Aspell on the recent loss of her husband, and Patrick Aspell Jr. (MBA ’09) on the recent loss of his father, Patrick Joseph Aspell (Former ADCaP faculty).
- Celine Cozad (IWHS ’53) & family on the recent loss of her daughter-in-law, Jane Bland Cozad.
- Dr. Annette Craven (H-E-B School of Business faculty) & William W. Craven Jr. & family on the recent loss of his mother, Dea Joan Craven.
- Fannie Dornberger Hewitt (MA ’70) & family on the recent loss of her husband, Charles R. Hewitt.
- Herbert (MA ’73) & Julie Shaffer (IWHS ’64, BSN ’68) Henion & family on the recent loss of Ma Luisa Cristina Shaffer Jackson.
- John & Cheryl (BSN ’96) Kusmierz & family on the recent loss of his sister, Janice Marie Kusmierz Jarzombek.
- Gregory Stiegler & family on the recent loss of his wife, Florence L. Martinez Stiegler (IWHS ’61, BS ’65, MA 70).
- The Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word & Blessed Sacrament, and family, on the recent loss of Sr. Mary Dorothy Susil, IWBS (BA ’50).
top of page