Photo of the Week
MACC president Dr. Arturo Chávez (from left), UIW president Dr. Agnese and Archbishop José Gomez joined together as the two institutions signed an inter-institutional agreement to work together to offer a biliterate Bachelor of Arts in Pastoral Ministry.
top of page
For this week's Campus Ministry message by Trevor Alexander visit: www.uiw.edu/campusministry.
Specific prayer intentions may be e-mailed to one of the Campus Ministry staff:
email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
top of page
There will be three training sessions for employees who want to learn more about Cardinal e-mail. There will be a short presentation and hands-on training during each session. For more information, contact Miriam Colunga at Ext. 6024. The sessions will be held in Library Room 230. The schedule is below.
- Monday, June 15 from 9-10:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, June 17 from 2-3:30 p.m.
Stimulus Information Night
Admissions will hold a Stimulus Information Night at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, June 16 in the library auditorium. Financial Aid and Admissions representatives will be on hand to discuss financing an education at UIW. To RSVP for the event, call (210) 805-1244. For more information, call Admissions at (210) 829-6005.
Cardinal Basketball Camp
Day camps for children ages 6-18 run June 29-July 3 and July 6-10. All UIW faculty members get 10 percent off the registration cost.Lunches will NOT be provided. Please bring a sack lunch. Concessions will be available. For more information, e-mail Assistant Coach Brian Curtis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Monday – Thursday: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Friday: 9 a.m. to noon
Registration cost is $165.
2 Campers: $150 per camper
3 Campers: $140 per camper
Monday – Friday: 9 a.m. to noon
Registration cost is $110.
2 Campers: $100 per camper
3 Campers: $95 per camper
Two-week all-day special: $250
Two-week half-day special: $160
Lion Dance Day
UIW’s Institute of World Cultures invites everyone to the Lion Dance Day, which will be from 1-4 p.m. Tuesday, June 30 in Marian Hall Ballroom. For more information, contact Rolla Alaydi at email@example.com or (210) 833-4257 or contact Eva Lee at firstname.lastname@example.org (210) 663-7934.
Please continue to encourage your students to check out the Student Center & Leadership Activities (SCLA) Web site each week for activities. Visit www.uiw.edu/studentlife/index.htm.
San Antonio Rock ‘N’ Roll Marathon – Start Training Now
The 2009 San Antonio Rock ‘N’ Roll Marathon will be Sunday, Nov. 15, and UIW has a team who will be taking part in the Get Fit Challenge (GFC). The GFC offers a $10 discount, access to training tools and more. There’s no pressure to finish within a certain time period. To be part of the UIW Team, or for registration information, contact the alumni office at email@example.com or (210) 829-6014.
UIW sent well-wishes to Melissa Skasik at her retirement celebration in the Brackenridge Villa.
top of page
Electronic Mailbox Transfers
Over the next few days, UIW and Dell network administrators will be transferring groups of employee mailboxes from the old servers to their new replacement servers. When you use Outlook Web Access (OWA) the first time after the conversion, you will be presented with several new screens with questions to answer (Low vision experience, Language, Current Time Zone). If you have questions, please read the Outlook Web Access Logon page at the following link: http://support.uiwtx.edu/Computer/PDF/OWALogin.pdf. If you need further assistance, contact the UIW Help Desk at Ext. 2721.
Instructional Technology Summer Training Schedule
The Department of Instructional Technology is offering free training opportunities to faculty and staff this summer. Classes held in Mabee Library Room G16 are limited to eight participants. All other sessions are limited to 20 participants and will take place in Mabee Library Room 230. Make reservations via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org. At least five participants must register for each session in order for the session to take place. Please contact Terry Peak if you are unable to attend a session so that he can offer your seat to someone else. To view the schedule, please visit http://support.uiwtx.edu/Training/Docs/Summer_IT_schedule_09.pdf
top of page
UIW in the New
Area schools near top of list for awarding degrees to Hispanics
Cat Crossing Closed Today
The cat crossing adjacent to the Joyce Building will be closed off for several hours Friday, June 12 starting at about 7 a.m. For more information, call Campus Police at 829-6030.
UIW Selected as Great College
UIW has been selected by the Chronicle of Higher Education as one of 2009’s Great Colleges to Work For in a national survey that recognizes “institutions that have created exceptional work environments.” Given how competitive the Great Colleges program was this year, this accolade is a remarkable accomplishment. The results will be announced online and in the July 10th print issue of The Chronicle of Higher Education.Congratulations UIW!
The Department of Alumni Relations is in the process of printing new recipe cards to accompany the alumni/friends birthday letters. We are requesting your favorite main dish and/or dessert recipe. One main dish and one dessert will be selected. The recipes need to be short and easy to prepare. Please submit your entry to email@example.com by Thursday, June 18.
During the next couple of weeks, maintenance will be replacing the Marian Hall Patio deck.The patio area will be closed off during this time. To access the cafeteria or student center, the community is asked to use the Marian Hall main entrance closest to Dubuis Hall and the library. Your patience and cooperation is appreciated.
Msgr. Thomas A. French, retired professor emerita of theology, will celebrate the 60th anniversary of his ordination to the priesthood on June 20.
top of page
The faculty and staff of the Health Ministry have two poster presentations in July. Dr. Sara Kolb and Maria Gillespie, both of the School of Nursing and Health Professions, Jean Deliganis, Dr. Amy Witte, of the Feik School of Pharmacy, Perla Zarate-Abbott and Jolynn Lowry presented “Effects of ‘Blood Pressure Classes’ among Hypertensive Mexican American Women” at the National Association of Hispanic Nurses 34th annual conference called Hispanic Nurses: Creating Pathways to Reduce Health Disparities, from July 21-24 in San Antonio. Annette Etnyre, a former faculty member in the School of Nursing and Health Professions, Zarate-Abbott, Deliganis and Kolb presented “A Foot Care Program for Hispanic Elders: How Evidence Directed Development” at the 8th annual 2009 Summer Institute on Evidence-Based Practice: Achieving Excellence with Evidence at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, from July 9-11.
To share your news with the UIW community, send your announcements and accomplishments to Ashley Festa at firstname.lastname@example.org.
top of page
SACHS Tupperware Fundraiser
Support the St. Anthony Class of 2010 by ordering from our Tupperware fundraiser catalog! The Class of 2010 receives 40 percent of all sales. No tax or shipping is charged – you pay the price in the catalog.Pick up a catalog from Blanca Leal at St. Anthony Catholic High School or call her at 832-5611.To place an order, contact Monica Sanchez at email@example.com or (210) 260-5018.Payment is due at the time your order is placed. Orders will be turned in by July 5. Thank you in advance for your support!
St. Anthony Catholic High School announces Marissa Galt as the new director of development. She obtained a B.S. in Communication Studies from The University of Texas at Austin in 2007. Before joining SACHS, she was the interim director of Blueprint Ministries where she worked with a seven-member board to launch the new nonprofit organization that runs home repair serve projects in the San Antonio area. Galt is excited to join the SACHS team, and to use her development skills to serve the school! See a story in the Business Journal here: St. Anthony hires new fundraising leader
The St. Anthony Catholic High School Alumni Association is hosting a Casino Night and Texas Hold ’Em Tournament on July 25. For ticket information, please call Alejandro Calderon at 832-5622.
top of page
Upcoming Athletics Events
Click here for the UIW athletics schedule.
Our sympathy and prayers go out to the following:
- Dr. Frank Bennack Jr. & family on the recent loss of his stepmother, Velma Hubbart Bennack.
- The family of Martha Roddy Bilbrey (UNDCL ’56) on her recent death.
- Ernesto & Cybele (IWHS Director of Alumnae Relations; IWHS ’86) Bolado & family on the recent loss of his mother, Alicia Flores Bolado.
- Thomas Corrigan III & family on the recent loss of his mother, Doreen May Blaha Corrigan (BA ’69).
- Cynthia Denise English (BSN ’78) & family on the recent loss of her mother, Virginia Cade English (MA ’68).
- Paul Fegan and James Fegan & families on the recent loss of their mother, Barbara L. Fegan (BSN ’50).
- Daniel & Jennifer Lynn (BBA ’06) Davila & family on the recent loss of her mother, Mary Alice Flores.
- Ester Caperton Gabrysh (UIW faculty, retired) on the recent loss of her husband, and Gail P. Gabrysh (UIW friend) on the recent loss of her father, Albert John Gabrysh (UIW former faculty).
- Alex & Sally Halff (UIW friends) on the recent loss of his brother, Howard A. Halff.
- Jim Hasslocher (UIW friend) & family on the recent loss of his wife, Veva Ball Hasslocher (former UIW Development Board).
- Dr. Bonnie McCormick (UIW faculty) & family on the recent loss of her grandmother, Mary Ellen McCune.
- John Necker & family on the recent loss of his wife, Linda Ann Necker (IWHS ’61).
- Sr. Annette Pezold, CCVI, and Sr. Mary Pezold, CCVI, & family on the recent loss of their mother, Dorothy M. Pezold.
- The family of Mary Lou Quijano (BSN ’91) on her recent death.
- Joe A. Ramos II (Director of Campus Police) & family on the recent loss of his grandmother, Emma Petty Ramos.
- Tere Dressner-Salinas & family on the recent loss of her husband, Danny J. Salinas (MBA ’02).
- T.J. Williams (Administrative Secretary to the dean of pharmacy) and Cindy Norwood (Secretary/Pharmacy) & families on the recent loss of their father, Jerry Sams.
- The family of Dorothy Hulda Louise Weaver (BSN ’38) on her recent death.
- The family and the Congregation of the Sisters of the Incarnate Word & Blessed Sacrament on the recent loss of Sr. Adrian Clare Wolfe, IWBS (BA ’62).
top of page