Photo of the Week
Sr. Martha Ann Kirk eats a meal with Dr. Lamin Sanneh, of Yale University, the leader of a seminar on Islam. He was appointed by Pope Benedict XVI to the Pontifical Commission on Religious Relations with Muslims. This three week seminar for Christian scholars is funded by the Louisville Foundation and held at Calvin College, Grand Rapids, MI.
top of page
Help the Ronald McDonald House
Residence Life is collecting household supplies to donate to the Ronald McDonald House. Donation boxes are located in the Campus Life Office and on the first floor of the Administration Building. They need supplies to help clean the house, which needs to be germ free. For more information, call 829-6034 or e-mail email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
They particularly need:
Powdered Laundry Detergent Garbage Bags (7-32 gallon)
Fabric Softener Sheets Any Type of Disinfectant Spray
Disposable Dinnerware/Silverware Zip Lock Baggies (all sizes)
Shower Curtains/Liners (standard size) Plastic Standard Pillow Covers
Plastic Twin Mattress Covers Clock Radios
Bath and Hand Towels Twin Size Blankets
Plastic Pitchers Pots and Pans
Diapers (newborn to large) Sewing/Mending Kits
Electric Can Openers Electric Coffee Maker
Brooms (straw and plastic) Tooth Brushes/Tooth Paste
Bath Soap/Shampoo Scotch Tape
Canned Foods/Nonperishable Goods Masking Tape
Writing Pens (black, blue, red) Permanent Markers
Postage Stamps Manila File Folders (third cut)
Scissors Electric Pencil Sharpener
Magazines/Books for Adults Children’s Books/Games
top of page
“Be a Star on Broadway” Orientation
Admissions will hold orientations on Sunday, Aug. 3 and Monday, Aug. 4 in Marian Hall Ballroom. For times and more information, call the Admissions Office at (210) 829-6005.
Come Support the Alumni Softball Team
As part of the San Antonio Alumni League, the UIW Department of Alumni Relations will be holding a tailgate barbecue starting at 7 p.m. Monday, Aug. 4 at Braun Field (9721 Braun Road, San Antonio, Texas 78254). The team will take on Texas Tech at 7 p.m. The team has three wins and three losses and is fighting for a playoff spot. Admission is free, and families are welcome. E-mail Rick Smith to RSVP so we can estimate the amount of food needed.
top of page
Instructional Technology Summer Training Schedule 2008
The free training classes are offered to faculty and staff by reservation only and seating is limited. All classes begin at 8:30 a.m. and end at 12:30 p.m. The following sessions will take place in Room 230 of the Mabee Library. Make reservations via e-mail to: email@example.com. At least five participants must register for each session in order for the session to take place. Please contact Terry or Adela if you are unable to attend a session so that we can offer your seat to someone else. Upcoming classes include:
Aug. 11 & 12
Aug. 13 & 14
Practical Applications for Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint 2007
top of page
UIW Network Outage
The UIW Network will be down for up to one hour beginning at 4 p.m. today to allow scheduled maintenance and bandwidth adjustment. During this time, the Internet and mail service outside UIW will be unavailable. Internal services such as Banner will be unaffected. The Apogee residential network should not be affected by this outage.We apologize for any inconvenience.
TRiO Needs Tutors
Encourage students to apply! The TRiO Student Success Program needs tutors for the 2008-09 academic year. Sophomore or higher level students are being hired as English, math and science tutors. Pay rate ranges from $8 – $13 depending on experience and area of study. Applications can be picked up in the Administration Building 225. For more information, contact Lydia Roberts at 805-5812 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit www.uiw.edu/trio for more about the program.
Alumna visits UIW after bike ride across U.S.
The UIW Department of Alumni Relations would like to congratulate Samantha Mangum ’06 for completing her 3,700-mile bike ride from Virginia to California. She’ll be arriving in San Antonio by vehicle today. If you would like to sign a welcome back card, contact Rick Smith.
Sammy’s Blog from trip
Sammy’s Photos from trip
Burr Road Parking Rules
To prevent congestion, the City of Alamo Heights will restrict parking on the curb of Burr Road between Broadway and N. New Braunfels from 7 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. The area will be patrolled by police, and illegally parked vehicles will be subject to citation or towing.
Construction at ICC
The UIW community should avoid the ICC construction area as much as possible because construction will make it difficult to get around the area.
top of page
Have a great summer, faculty!
top of page
The cement foundation was poured at St. Anthony Catholic High School’s Wellness Center last week and construction began this week.
St. Anthony Catholic High School
- Aug. 2 Rummage Sale: St. Anthony Catholic High School will hold a rummage sale fundraiser to benefit the Class of 2010 on Aug. 2. Tables are available for all price ranges: $25 per table in the air conditioned gym, $15 per table on the shaded driveway, $10 for a parking space (bring your own table) by the chapel. Extra table requests are $10 per table, bring your own chairs. Gates open for vendor set up at 7 a.m. The sale starts at 9 a.m.For more information, call 210-832-5611.
- Aug. 8: Fish Camp for incoming freshmen
- Aug. 9: Fish Camp for 9th grade parents
- Aug. 11: Student Registration for grades 9 and 12
- Aug. 12: Student Registration for grades 10 and 11
- Aug. 15: Assumption of Mary
- Aug. 18: Classes begin / Advisory schedule
- Aug. 22: Early dismissal / In-service / Last day to drop/add
- Aug. 25: High School/University (Senior) Connection Classes begin
- Aug. 31: Community Liturgy
Incarnate Word High School
- Aug. 11-12: Final fall registration
- Aug. 14: Freshman and transfer orientation
- Aug. 18: First day of school
top of page
Upcoming Athletics Events
Click here for the UIW athletics schedule.
Cardinal Football Team needs help
The Cardinals are looking for student filmers and managers for the fall. Full-time students who are able to work 15-20 hours per week will be paid. If you know of any interested students, have them contact Coach Ivicic at ext. 3062 or e-mail email@example.com.
Our sympathy and prayers go to the following:
- David Allwein (UIW Health Svcs.) and family on the recent loss of his nephew, Derek James Allwein.
- Eileen O’Neill & family on the recent loss of her aunt, Ada Theresa Woulfe Bennick (UIW triend).
- The family of Col. Lacadia Clarke (BSN ’55) on her recent death.
- Walter & Lisa Hutzler (UIW Alumni Relations; IWHS '86, BA '91, MA '95) Schultz and James & Brenda Hutzler (IWHS ’83, BBA ’00) Farley & family on the recent loss of their grandmother, Frances Rose Couch.
- David & Judith Cuesta (BA ’71) Vance & family on the recent loss of her brother, Manuel Cuesta III.
- Dr. Ralph “Bud” Curtis, Jr. (UIW friend) & family on the recent loss of his father, Ralph John Curtis Sr.
- Carl Haywood (UIW Infrastructure Svcs.) & family on the recent loss of his sister, Martha Haywood.
- James & Mary Vance Jones (UIW friends) on the recent loss of his father, James Landon Jones Sr.
- The family of Katherine Zuberbueler Kesler (ALND ’43) on her recent death.
- Helen Jeffries Klitch (Former UIW staff; BA ’84) on the recent loss of her husband, Richard Hugh Klitch Sr.
- The family of Fr. Philip M. Lamberty, O. P., the Dominican Friars, and the entire UIW Community on his recent death.
- Katherine M. Muller (IWHS ’75) & family on the recent loss of her mother, Mary Fitzgerald Muller (BA ’71, MA ’75).
- Mary Helen “Pinkie” Devine Pinner (IWHS ’42, BA ’46) on the recent loss of her husband, William “Bill” Pinner (UIW friends).
- Paul & Cynthia (UIW Legal Counsel) Escamilla & family on the recent loss of her father, Francisco E. Sanchez.
- Kathleen Stott Hogan (IWHS ’92, BSN ’98) on the recent loss of her mother; Carlton Hogan on the recent loss of his grandmother; Robert & Paula Nelson (UIW friends) on the recent loss of his sister; and Donald & RuthNelson (IWHS ’64, BA ’68) Zetik on the recent loss of her sister, Jacqueline “Jackie” Nelson Stott (BA ’66, MA 94).
- Gayle Turner & family on the recent loss of her aunt, Col. Edythe Turner (UIW friend).
- Robert Wehmeyer & family on the recent loss of his wife, Mary Ann Koethe Wehmeyer (IWHS ’61).
top of page