Photo of the Week
Dr. Annemarie Walsh, former head of the Fashion Department, received the Golden Needle Award at the Cutting Edge Fiesta Fashion Show. The annual award is presented to the person who lives the university’s Mission as it relates to the Fashion Management Program and is the highest honor the department can bestow.
top of page
The Fiesta Fandango Lawn Sale on Wednesday benefitted Mission activities at UIW. Sr. Audrey O’Mahony offered a big thank you to everyone who brought items to sell, to those who purchased items, and those who helped set up and take down the event. The items that did not sell were donated to Goodwill.
top of page
UIW Jazz Ensemble Performance
The UIW Jazz Ensemble will perform at the St. Mary’s Fiesta Jazz Festival at 5 p.m. today. The free concert will be near the northwest corner of the of St. Mary’s University campus. Several university jazz ensembles and combos will be performing starting at 1 p.m., and this year’s headliner, Rufus Reid, will be performing with his quintet at 9 p.m.
Three Days of Rain
Richard Greenberg’s elegant drama wrestles with the legacy of dysfunctional parents, family secrets, and one extraordinary house. It will be presented in the in the Cheever Downstage II Theatre. Tickets cost $10 for adults, $8 for non-UIW students and $9 for seniors. Group rates are available. UIW students, faculty and staff receive one free ticket with ID. For reservations or additional information, call the UIW theatre box office at 829-3800.
Performance dates and times:
- April 25 and May 2 (Friday): 8 p.m.
- April 26 and May 3 (Saturday): 8 p.m.
- April 27 (Sunday): 2 p.m.
- May 1 (Thursday): 7 p.m.
English Department Shares from Quirk
English department will sponsor "Quirk-y Our Place: Shared works from the 2008 edition of Quirk." The event will be from 6-8 p.m. Tuesday, April 29 in the Special Collections Room of Mabee Library. Copies of the new Quirk and refreshments will be available.
UIW Community Orchestra Concert
The UIW community orchestra will perform a free concert at 7:30 p.m. Monday, April 28, in Our Lady’s Chapel. The concert is open to the public.
KUIW Formal Fundraiser
The 2nd annual KUIW Suits & Shirts Gala is the formal fundraiser of KUIW Internet Radio.Guests can add their favorite music or radio T-shirt to their formal attire and show their support for KUIW Internet Radio at this fabulous event. Festivities kick off at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 29, at Panchito's Mexican Restaurant (4118 McCullough Ave, San Antonio, TX 78212). There will be a silent auction followed by dinner and awards presentation at 7 p.m. Tickets cost $45 per person, with a portion of the proceeds benefiting the PAL Foster Youth Center of Baptist Child & Family Services (bcfs.net). If you would like to purchase tickets, sponsor studentattendees or donate silent auction items, please contact the KUIW studios at (210) 805-5849 or KUIW Operations Manager James Longoria at (210) 837-6503.
Sobadora Cristala Mussato-Allen from the Casa de Cura in Austin spoke to Dr. Sally Said’s class in Spanish for Health Professionals on Mediterranean and Mexican Healing Traditions: Somos Primos, focusing on the use of herbs and massage in healing treatments.
top of page
Instructional Technology Summer Training Schedule 2008
If it is summer, it must be time to take a cruise, explore an exotic locale, tan on a secluded beach or upgrade your technology skills. The last choice does not sound too glamorous, but Terry Peak will be here to show you how to add some glamour to your Blackboard course, find some practical and creative uses for Microsoft Office 2007 or create and evaluate surveys with Survey Monkey and SPSS. In addition, Adela Gott will show you how to rev up your vacation pictures with Photoshop Elements and show you how to Podcast.
Here is the current summer training schedule:
May 21 & 22
June 2 - 6
Practical Applications for Microsoft Access, Word, Excel and PowerPoint 2007
June 9 - 11
Podcasting 101 with Adela Gott
June 12 & 13
Photoshop Elements with Adela Gott
June 17 & 18
Aug 11 & 12
Aug 13 & 14
Practical Applications for Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint 2007
The free classes are offered to faculty and staff by reservation only. All classes begin at 8:30 a.m. and end at 12:30 p.m. The Podcasting and Photoshop Elements sessions are limited to 8 participants. These classes will be held in room G16 of the Mabee Library. All other sessions are limited to 20 participants and will take place in Room 230 of the Mabee Library. Make reservations via e-mail to: email@example.com. At least five participants must register for each session in order for the session to take place. Please contact Terry or Adela if you are unable to attend a session so that we can offer your seat to someone else.
Registrar Announces Deadlines for May
May 2: Last day to apply for December 2008 graduation without late fee; Last day to withdraw from the university, undergraduate and graduate terms; Last day for undergraduate and graduate classes
May 3: ADCaP Summer I begins
May 4: Honors Convocation
May 4-9: Final Exams
May 9: Last day to drop at 100% refund - ADCaPSummer Term I; Residence halls close for returning students, 3 p.m.; End of semester, Undergraduate, Spring Mini Term II, and Graduate Extended; Spring Term II classes end – Virtual University
May 10: Baccalaureate Mass at 9 a.m. and 3 p.m.; Commencement at 11 a.m. and 5 p.m.
May 11: Residence halls close for graduates, 1 p.m.
May 13: Grades due for undergraduate and graduate classes
Deadlines for Summer 2008
May 3: ADCaP Summer I begins
May 9: Last day to drop at 100% refund - ADCaP Summer Term I
May 16: Residence halls open at 1 p.m.
May19: Summer I begins (6 weeks); Extended Summer Term begins (10 Weeks); Late registration fee ($50) charged for Summer I and Summer Extended; Summer Term Begins - Virtual University
May 20: Drop/add fees ($25) charged for Summer I and Summer Extended Begin
May 23: Registration Deadlines Summer I and Extended Terms:
- Last day to register, add, change schedule
- Last day to register for independent study
- Last day to change from graded to pass/fail
- Last day to change from pass/fail to graded
- Last day to change from graded to audit
- Last day to change from audit to graded
- Last day to make payment arrangements
- Last day for 100% refund, Summer I and Extended
- Last day to waive insurance fees, Summer I and Extended
- Last day to submit information for Tuition Discounts, Summer I and Extended
- Last day to drop at 100% refund - Virtual University
May 26: Memorial Day holiday observed. UIW closed
Important Message from the Comptroller’s Office
In order to close out the 2007/2008 fiscal year, we need your cooperation in the following areas related to the unrestricted operating budget. If you have any questions, please call 829-6037. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
- May 2: Petty cash requests for fiscal year 07/08 will be suspended on May 2, 2008.
- May 9: All outstanding receipts must be turned in to the Business Office by May 9, 2008 to settle outstanding petty cash to ensure a proper charge to fiscal year 07/08.
- May 23: The university credit card billing for May will cut off on the 23rd. Any charges for May not reflected on that statement will be charged to the subsequent fiscal year.
- May 30: Only items or services that are received and exhausted before May 30, 2008 can be charged to the 07/08 fiscal year. If equipment or supplies are not received, or actual travel does not occur before May 30, 2008, it will not be charged to this fiscal year.
- May 30: To allow lead time in ordering, purchase orders for services and supplies that will not be received or paid for by May 30, 2008 may now be made in advance of the new fiscal year by citing the account number to be used in the new fiscal year and noting “FY09 expense” on the purchase requisition. These expenses will be charged directly to fiscal year 08/09.
- June 2: Petty cash requests will resume on June 2, 2008.
- June 6: Departments with open billings to third parties for services rendered (i.e. facilities rental) for this fiscal year need to provide copies of invoices to Tom Duckworth in the Payroll Office by June 6, 2008. These billings will be set up as accounts receivable for this fiscal year.
- June 6: All internal service request charges for fiscal year 07/08 (print shop, mail, bookstore, mileage, copy charges, etc.) are due to Tom Duckworth in the Payroll Office by no later than June 6, 2008.
- June 9: Any vendor invoices sent directly to your department for goods received by May 30, 2008 must be submitted to the Accounts Payable Department by June 9, 2008 with proper approval for payment to ensure the proper charge to fiscal year 07/08. Please notify Accounts Payable by June 9, 2008 of any expected invoices not yet received.
- June 9: All travel settlements must be submitted no later than 10 days after returning from travel. Therefore any settlements received after June 9, 2008 will be charged to the following fiscal year.
- June 13: Organization Status Reports (budget reports) for May will be sent out on or before Friday June 13, 2008. These reports should be reviewed carefully in order to verify that all charges to fiscal year 07/08 have been posted.
- June 20: The books for the 07/08 fiscal year will be closed on Friday, June 20, 2008. After this date no further invoices, journal entries, or other transactions will be accepted for the 07/08 fiscal year. Any transactions received after this date will be posted to the subsequent fiscal year.
top of page
Fiesta Battle of Flowers
UIW will close at noon today for the Fiesta Battle of Flowers.
Honors Convocation 2008
Honors Convocation is a forum for the university to recognize student academic and service accomplishments. Each school hosts a ceremony honoring students within its discipline. Administration, faculty and staff are invited to share in this celebration of excellence. The programs will be held Sunday, April 27 and Sunday, May 4 beginning with a Eucharistic celebration at 10:30 a.m. in Our Lady’s Chapel in the Administration Building. Individual ceremonies and receptions will occur at the following times and locations. For more information, call Itza Casanova at ext. 3943.
Sunday, April 27, 2008:
- College of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences: Noon in Our Lady’s Chapel with a reception immediately following
- Dreeben School of Education: 1 - 3 p.m. in the International Conference Center with a reception before the ceremony from 1-1:30 p.m.
- School of Mathematics, Science and Engineering: 1-2 p.m. in the Bonilla Science Hall, Lecture Hall, Room 129 with a reception before the ceremony from noon to 1 p.m.
- School of Interactive Media and Design: 1:30-2:30 p.m. in the Joyce Applied Arts/Sciences Building, Room 126 with a reception immediately following
- School of Nursing and Health Professions: 2-3 p.m. Marian Hall Ballroom with a reception before the ceremony from 1:30-2 p.m.
Sunday, May 4, 2008:
- H-E-B School of Business and Administration: 1-3 p.m., in the Rosenberg Sky Room; with a reception immediately following
KUIW Staff Application Deadline is Today
Encourage students to apply for jobs! Today is the deadline to apply for one of the seven staff positions open at the campus radio station, KUIW. These positions will be for the 2008-09 school year. The positions are: operations manager, program director, music director, underwriting/promotions manager, webmaster, production coordinator and sports director. These are all paid positions. Contact Hank McDonnell for job descriptions and salaries at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TRiO Student Success Program Needs Mentors
Encourage students to apply to the TRiO Student Success Program as mentors for the 2008-09 academic year. These are positions for students who have more than 32 hours and who enjoy being creative, taking a leadership role and helping other students develop. For more information, contact the TRiO Program Counselor Marie Soto at (210) 805-5812 or email@example.com. An application can be picked up in AD Room 225.
Stairs to be closed at Chapel
The cleaning and sealing of the front stairs at the Chapel of the Incarnate Word will begin Sunday, April 27. The stairs will be barricaded from then until Friday, May 4. This project will help ensure the stair’s endurance.
Banner Session Time-Out
In an effort to improve protection of student and employee data,all Banner sessions will automatically log off after 20 minutes of inactivity, beginning Monday, April 28. For more information, refer to the FAQ at http://support.uiwtx.edu/GetStarted/BannerServices.html.
Recognizing All Valuable Employees – RAVE!
Has someone at UIW, Incarnate Word High School or St. Anthony Catholic High School had a positive influence on you? Let them know they’ve done a good job! Completing a RAVE! card is one way to recognize administrators, faculty, staff and student workers for living the core values of the Incarnate Word Mission. The core values are Education, Faith, Innovation, Service and Truth. Your comments will be shared directly with employees and their supervisors at a special RAVE! luncheon, date is TBA. Find a RAVE! card at the following locations:
Administration Building: Basement; 1st Floor - Business Office; HASS and Registrar’s Office; 2nd Floor: Learning Assistance Center
Science Hall: 1st Floor
top of page
Dr. Bob Connelly (left) received the William Mulcahy Campus Beautification Award at the Earth Day Ceremony on Tuesday afternoon. Congratulations!
top of page
St. Anthony Catholic High School
- Athletic Banquet at 6 p.m. Tuesday, April 29 in the UIW Sky Room
- May 2-3, State Track Meet in Waco
- Now Registering! Experience a true faith community, earn up to 18 college credits before graduation and enjoy 16 athletic programs! If you would like to register your child for St. Anthony Catholic High School, call (210) 832-5632, fax (210) 832-5633 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Spaces are limited, so early enrollment is encouraged. SACHS is located at 3200 McCullough Ave.
Incarnate Word High School
- April 27: Silver Tea at 2 p.m.
- April 28-30: Cheer Clinic
- April 30: College T-Shirt Day
- End of year awards taking place in the gym at 6:30 p.m. May 1.
- Junior ring ceremony at 5 p.m. Thursday, May 15 in the Chapel of the Incarnate Word
- Graduation will be at 10 a.m. May 18
- This week, IWHS held Senior Appreciation Day and the school’s annual talent show.
top of page
Upcoming Athletics Events
Click here for the UIW athletics schedule.
top of page