Photo of the Week
Last chance to buy tickets for the Cutting Edge Fiesta Fashion Show!
There are a few $75 tickets left for the fashion show. The deadline to purchase tickets is noon today! Tickets to the event include a runway style fashion show, silent auction and luncheon. The Cutting Edge Fiesta Fashion Show will be at 11:30 a.m. Monday, April 21 at the Marriott Rivercenter, 101 Bowie Street. To buy your tickets, call (210) 829-6013. More information is available at www.uiw.edu/cuttingedge08/index.htm. UIW Fiesta Medals are available for $7 and can be purchased through the Fashion Department at (210) 829-6091 or by visiting AD 112. Trading Fiesta medals is an important part of Fiesta fun! Buy your UIW medal today!
top of page
Fiesta Fandango Lawn Sale
A Fiesta Fandango Lawn Sale will be from 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Wednesday, April 23 on Dubuis Lawn.Enjoy fiesta music and great “treasures,” including New Orleans Saints collectibles. Proceeds benefit Mission activities.
Coverage of the Papal Visit
Pope Benedict XVI began his Apostolic trip to the U.S. this week.Campus Ministry is hosting viewings of several of Pope Benedict’s visits for the UIW community. The schedule is below. For detailed information regarding the papal visit, visit www.uspapalvisit.org/ or www.ewtn.com/USPapalVisit08/index.asp.
Friday, April 18
- 9 – 11:45 a.m. – Chapel Building Gathering Room: Address to the United Nations at the United Nations
- 4 – 5 p.m. – Chapel Building Gathering Room: Ecumenical Prayer Service at St. Joseph Parish
Sunday, April 20
- 1 – 3 p.m. – Chapel Building Gathering: Mass at Yankee Stadium
Papal History CD in the Library
For those who are interested in learning more about papal history, the library has acquired a CD on 2,000 years of papal history. This can be checked out at your convenience.
top of page
Laser Tag at UIW
Join CAB at 2 p.m. today in Marian Hall Ballroom for laser tag!
Children's Day/Book Day
The theme of Children’s Day/Book Day will be Social Justice: God's Green Earth. The celebration will be from 1-4 p.m. Saturday, April 19 at the Convocation Center. For more information, call Dr. Amalia Mondriguez at 829-3894 or Dean Dan Ochoa at 829-2707. Included in the program will be:
- Students of the four Brainpower schools reading their own original poems, short-stories and essays (Spanish and English) to the audience
- An exhibit of students’ art (photography, painting, drawings). All their art and writing was created for the Brainpower Literary and Art contests within the Social Justice topic.They have written about child abuse, homeless people, immigrants and war, among other topics.
- String music by Estudio Cuatro (the cuatro is a musical instrument that looks like a guitar).
- Acclaimed children’s author Dr. Carmen Tafolla talking about her new book It’s Not Fair! EmmaTenayuca’s Struggle for Justice (Wings Press, 2008).
- Roxana Basaldúa reading her bilingual book La Leyenda del Cascarón and teaching the children how to make cascarones.
- Heather Powers, illustrator and president of the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators teaching how to make “The Magic Book” (a mini book).
- Students in the UIW Spanish program presenting a puppet play in Spanish: El León Comelón.
- Members of the Puerto Rican Heritage Society reading children books from Puerto Rico.
- The publisher of Raining Rainbow displaying and selling books.The Twig Bookshop will sell books as well.
- Some agencies that will be present are The Children's Advocacy Agency and IDRA.
Earth Day Ceremony
UIW will present an Earth Day Ceremony, including a presentation of the William Mulcahy Campus Beautification Award, at noon Tuesday, April 22 by the large oak between the Mabee Library and the AT&T Science Center.
KUIW Formal Fundraiser
The 2nd annual KUIW Suits & Shirts Gala is the formal fundraiser of KUIW Internet Radio.Guests can add their favorite music or radio T-shirt to their formal attire and show their support for KUIW Internet Radio at this fabulous event. Festivities kick off at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 29, at Panchito's Mexican Restaurant (4118 McCullough Ave, San Antonio, TX 78212). There will be a silent auction followed by dinner and awards presentation at 7 p.m. Tickets cost $45 per person, with a portion of the proceeds benefiting the PAL Foster Youth Center of Baptist Child & Family Services (bcfs.net). If you would like to purchase tickets, sponsor studentattendees or donate silent auction items, please contact the KUIW studios at (210) 805-5849 or KUIW Operations Manager James Longoria at (210) 837-6503.
Dr. Joe Frost (left), Ed.D., L.H.D., Parker Centennial Professor Emeritus, University of Texas in Austin, spoke Wednesday at the Landscapes and Landmarks of Play seminar, which was the fourth anniversary of the Joe L. Frost Children’s Play and Play Research Collection. He is pictured with Betty Frost and Mendell Morgan.
A group of students and faculty gathered Thursday to create a Student Veterans Association.
There were thousands of turtles racing down the San Antonio River during the Turbo Turtle Race at the Spring Fling on Saturday.
top of page
Registrar Announces Deadlines for May
May 2: Last day to apply for December 2008 graduation without late fee; Last day to withdraw from the university, undergraduate and graduate terms; Last day for undergraduate and graduate classes
May 3: ADCaP Summer I begins
May 4: Honors Convocation
May 4-9: Final Exams
May 9: Last day to drop at 100% refund - ADCaPSummer Term I; Residence halls close for returning students, 3 p.m.; End of semester, Undergraduate, Spring Mini Term II, and Graduate Extended; Spring Term II classes end – Virtual University
May 10: Baccalaureate Mass at 9 a.m. and 3 p.m.; Commencement at 11 a.m. and 5 p.m.
May 11: Residence halls close for graduates, 1 p.m.
May 13: Grades due for undergraduate and graduate classes
Deadlines for Summer 2008
May 3: ADCaP Summer I begins
May 9: Last day to drop at 100% refund - ADCaP Summer Term I
May 16: Residence halls open at 1 p.m.
May19: Summer I begins (6 weeks); Extended Summer Term begins (10 Weeks); Late registration fee ($50) charged for Summer I and Summer Extended; Summer Term Begins - Virtual University
May 20: Drop/add fees ($25) charged for Summer I and Summer Extended Begin
May 23: Registration Deadlines Summer I and Extended Terms:
- Last day to register, add, change schedule
- Last day to register for independent study
- Last day to change from graded to pass/fail
- Last day to change from pass/fail to graded
- Last day to change from graded to audit
- Last day to change from audit to graded
- Last day to make payment arrangements
- Last day for 100% refund, Summer I and Extended
- Last day to waive insurance fees, Summer I and Extended
- Last day to submit information for Tuition Discounts, Summer I and Extended
- Last day to drop at 100% refund - Virtual University
May 26: Memorial Day holiday observed. UIW closed
Important Message from the Comptroller’s Office
In order to close out the 2007/2008 fiscal year, we need your cooperation in the following areas related to the unrestricted operating budget. If you have any questions, please call 829-6037. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
- May 2: Petty cash requests for fiscal year 07/08 will be suspended on May 2, 2008.
- May 9: All outstanding receipts must be turned in to the Business Office by May 9, 2008 to settle outstanding petty cash to ensure a proper charge to fiscal year 07/08.
- May 23: The university credit card billing for May will cut off on the 23rd. Any charges for May not reflected on that statement will be charged to the subsequent fiscal year.
- May 30: Only items or services that are received and exhausted before May 30, 2008 can be charged to the 07/08 fiscal year. If equipment or supplies are not received, or actual travel does not occur before May 30, 2008, it will not be charged to this fiscal year.
- May 30: To allow lead time in ordering, purchase orders for services and supplies that will not be received or paid for by May 30, 2008 may now be made in advance of the new fiscal year by citing the account number to be used in the new fiscal year and noting “FY09 expense” on the purchase requisition. These expenses will be charged directly to fiscal year 08/09.
- June 2: Petty cash requests will resume on June 2, 2008.
- June 6: Departments with open billings to third parties for services rendered (i.e. facilities rental) for this fiscal year need to provide copies of invoices to Tom Duckworth in the Payroll Office by June 6, 2008. These billings will be set up as accounts receivable for this fiscal year.
- June 6: All internal service request charges for fiscal year 07/08 (print shop, mail, bookstore, mileage, copy charges, etc.) are due to Tom Duckworth in the Payroll Office by no later than June 6, 2008.
- June 9: Any vendor invoices sent directly to your department for goods received by May 30, 2008 must be submitted to the Accounts Payable Department by June 9, 2008 with proper approval for payment to ensure the proper charge to fiscal year 07/08. Please notify Accounts Payable by June 9, 2008 of any expected invoices not yet received.
- June 9: All travel settlements must be submitted no later than 10 days after returning from travel. Therefore any settlements received after June 9, 2008 will be charged to the following fiscal year.
- June 13: Organization Status Reports (budget reports) for May will be sent out on or before Friday June 13, 2008. These reports should be reviewed carefully in order to verify that all charges to fiscal year 07/08 have been posted.
- June 20: The books for the 07/08 fiscal year will be closed on Friday, June 20, 2008. After this date no further invoices, journal entries, or other transactions will be accepted for the 07/08 fiscal year. Any transactions received after this date will be posted to the subsequent fiscal year.
top of page
UIW in the News
Video: Pope addresses importance of Catholic education
Weekender - Exhibits calendar for April 18-24
Weekender - Stage calendar for April 18-24
Zach Walter, account executive from Vista Fibers, UIW’s recycling partner, spoke at the university’s recycling forum. Walter gave an environmental report on our first pickup of paper a week ago. It weighed 1.75 tons.As a result, UIW’s recycling saved 30 trees, 7,000 kilowatt hours of energy, 12,000 gallons of water and 6 cubic yards of landfill.We also eliminated 105 pounds of air pollutants that would have been created when making paper from virgin wood pulp.
KUIW Staff Positions Open
Encourage students to apply for jobs! There are seven staff positions open at the campus radio station, KUIW. These positions are for the 2008-2009 school year. The positions are: operations manager, program director, music director, underwriting/promotions manager, webmaster, production coordinator and sports director. These are all paid positions. Contact Hank McDonnell for job descriptions and salaries at firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline to apply is April 25.
Recognizing All Valuable Employees – RAVE!
Has someone at UIW, Incarnate Word High School or St. Anthony Catholic High School had a positive influence on you? Let them know they’ve done a good job! Completing a RAVE! card is one way to recognize administrators, faculty, staff and student workers for living the core values of the Incarnate Word Mission. The core values are Education, Faith, Innovation, Service and Truth. Your comments will be shared directly with employees and their supervisors at a special RAVE! luncheon, date is TBA. Find a RAVE! card at the following locations:
Administration Building: Basement; 1st Floor - Business Office; HASS and Registrar’s Office; 2nd Floor: Learning Assistance Center
Science Hall: 1st Floor
top of page
Two awards were given to professors at the Faculty Appreciation luncheon on Friday. Congratulations!
Dr. Terry Dicianna awards Margaret Mitchell the 2008 UIW Moody Professorship.
Bill Carleton received the Presidential Teaching Award from Dr. Louis Agnese.
top of page
St. Anthony Catholic High School
- Fiesta St. Anthony will start at 7 p.m. Friday, April 18 in the UIW Rosenberg Sky Room. Joe Posada is the entertainer. Tickets cost $30 per person and include dinner, drinks, dancing, silent auction and fun. Tickets including the $5,000 gift card reverse raffle cost $100 for two guests. Adult guests 21 and over only. Fiesta St. Anthony is sponsored by St. Anthony Catholic High School. For information, call Blanca Leal at (210) 832-5611, Katherine Villarreal at (210) 844-8044 or Stella Mallard at (210) 829-2708.
- Now Registering! Experience a true faith community, earn up to 18 college credits before graduation and enjoy 16 athletic programs! If you would like to register your child for St. Anthony Catholic High School, call (210) 832-5632, fax (210) 832-5633 or e-mail email@example.com. Spaces are limited, so early enrollment is encouraged. SACHS is located at 3200 McCullough Ave.
Incarnate Word High School
- St. Anthony Incarnate Word Theatre is proud to present their spring production of Sabrina Fair at 7 p.m. April 18 in Mt. Erin Hall at IWHS. Tickets will be available at the door and cost $5 for adults and students, and $3 for age 12 and under. Sabrina Fair is the story of the wealthy Larrabee family of New York in the 1950s. Sabrina, the daughter of the family chauffeur, returns home after five years in Paris and quickly turns the world of the family on end with her newly found charm. It is a wonderful comedy of manners featuring a cast of 14, including both St. Anthony and Incarnate Word students. For more information or advance ticket reservations, contact Lara Willars at firstname.lastname@example.org.
top of page
Upcoming Athletics Events
Click here for the UIW athletics schedule.
San Antonio Warriors Semi-Professional Football Tickets
The San Antonio Warriors have achieved many accomplishments in their 5-year existence. Purchase season tickets for 2008 spring and fall games for a great price! Students can get season tickets for $7, adults for $15 and Fan Bus (including home games, away games and playoffs) for $30. Cash and checks are accepted. Make checks payable to The San Antonio Warriors. For information on tickets, call Kristin Garcia at 805-5863. Visit www.thesanantoniowarriors.com for team and schedule information.
top of page