Photo of the Week
UIW celebrated the building of the new residence hall with a tree topping on Tuesday. The tree is placed on top of the building when the highest beam is in place, celebrating that there was no loss of life or serious injury. It’s also said to bring good luck to the residents!
top of page
The UIW community held a prayer service for the students at Northern Illinois University on Wednesday.
top of page
There will be a nondenominational worship experience from 1 - 3 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 23 in Marian Hall Ballroom. Local choirs/soloists will be featured. Refreshments will be served. For more information, contact BSA President Camille Taylor at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call the Student Center/Leadership Activities Office at 829-6034.
Men's Basketball UIW vs. St. Mary's Rematch
Come out and support the UIW men’s basketball team for the season’s biggest rematch as they once again play their cross town rivals, St. Mary’s University! Last year we packed St. Mary’s gym with more fans from UIW… let’s do it again! Wear red and black to represent UIW at St. Mary’s home court! The game will be at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 23 at St. Mary’s University, Bill Greehey Arena.
Easter Food Drive
The UIW/St. Philip of Jesus Health Ministry is conducting an Easter food drive on campus. The food drive will run through Thursday, March 13. Collection points are set up in the nursing building and Campus Ministry. If you would like to have a collection point in your building, contact Sara Kolb at email@example.com.
Incarnate Word Day
Incarnate Word Day is March 25 and the theme is The Word Around the World. There will be several events that day. The schedule is as follows:
- 8 a.m.: Banners and Balloons—SGA decorates Dubuis Lawn and other areas of campus
- 9 a.m.: Panel: UIW Service Abroad—faculty and student presenters
- 11:30 a.m.: Picnic at the Tower—Sodexho
- Noon: Cardinal Carnival—Brackenridge to Marian circle, SGA and CAB
- 1:30 p.m.: Panel: Social Justice and the Curriculum—faculty and students
- 3 p.m.: Incarnate Word Day Liturgy—Our Lady’s Chapel. Includes presentation of CCVI Spirit Award
- 4 p.m.: Reception for CCVI Spirit Award Honoree, family and friends--Tower
- 7 p.m.: Religious Studies Pierre Lecture, Dr. Jeannine Hill-Fletcher
The Cutting Edge Fiesta Fashion Show
The Cutting Edge Fiesta Fashion Show starting at 10 a.m. Monday, April 21 at the Marriott Rivercenter, 101 Bowie Street. A silent auction will begin at 10 a.m., and the fashion show 11:30 a.m. There also will be a luncheon. Tickets are available. For more information, call (210) 829-6013.
top of page
Bilingual Communication Arts open session
The Department of Communication Arts cordially invites you to attend an open session with one of our candidates for the Bilingual Communication Arts faculty position, Dr. Alfonso Moises. This session will be from 2-3 p.m. today in AD 155 (Heritage Room).
Music Scholarship Auditions
Auditions will be held Saturday, Feb. 23 in Palestrina Hall. Call 829-6022 to schedule an appointment.
Blood Drive and Marrow Registration
UIW Health Professions Society will hold a blood drive from 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m. Monday, Feb. 25 and Tuesday, Feb. 26 in front of Marian Hall. All presenting donors in February will be eligible to win a romantic package, including a two-night stay at Ye Kendall Inn, dinner for two at Limestone Grill, a spa Treatment and lunch for two at the Dodging Duck Brewhaus. They are also eligible to win Spurs tickets, courtesy of Spurs Foundation. All presenting donors also receive refreshments and a fleece travel blanket! Donors must be 17 years old or older, weigh at least 110 pounds and be in good general health. Identification is required. For more information, call Kiara Thomas at 430-1913, Tiffin Despres at 275-3935, or Fina Hernandez at 380-5620.
Blackboard Jungle Face-to-Face classes
The Blackboard Jungle classroom course will be offered during spring break, March 17-21. Classes will be offered from 9 a.m. until noon and from 2-5 p.m. Registration is required and each class will require a minimum of five registrants. All classes will take place in Room 230 of the Mabee Library. Register for classes by e-mailing Training Coordinator Terry Peak at firstname.lastname@example.org. Registration ends March 13. The schedule is as follows:
- Monday, March 17 – Blackboard basics and group management
- Tuesday, March 18 – Course planning and content management
- Wednesday, March 19 – Blackboard communication options
- Thursday, March 20 – Assessment
- Friday, March 21 – The Gradebook
Online Blackboard Training
If you are unable to attend the Spring Break training courses, the Department of Instructional Technology will be offing two instructor-led, online Blackboard training courses for advanced and novice users, beginning March 1. All UIW full-time, part-time and adjunct faculty members are invited take part in these courses. For more information, go to http://support.uiwtx.edu/Announcements/index.html or e-mail Training Coordinator Terry Peak at email@example.com.
The novice course is designed to provide the basic principles of using Blackboard:
- Navigate, create and revise the course shell
- Develop and manage student groups
- Learn how to plan, integrate and revise a course plan
- Understand how to use different types of course content to engage students
The advanced course will provide the opportunity to take advantage of additional Blackboard features:
- Create, import, revise and implement tests and other assessment tools
- Use the Gradebook to store and analyze grades
- The Blackboard communication tools, including chat, discussion boards, wikis, blogs and podcasting
2008 Financial Assistance Saturday Sessions
Please encourage students to attend one of the 2008 Financial Assistance Saturday Sessions. Students will have the opportunity to pick up 2008-2009 financial aid application forms, find out about resources like scholarships, loans, work and grants, complete the free application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), and review costs for the academic year. A general presentation will be given during the first hour and the remaining time will be open for specific questions. All session will be held in the Conference Hall at the ICC
- March 8 from 1-3 p.m.
- April 5 from 1-3 p.m.
- May 17 from 1-3 p.m.
top of page
Dr. Louis Agnese (from left), Dan Dominguez, Dr. A. David Mangelsdorff and Shawn Daly, dean of the H-E-B School of Business and Administration, were at the signing of the endowed professorship Dr. Mangelsdorff created.
Dr. A. David Mangelsdorff, UIW supporter and friend, created a Charitable Remainder Unitrust on Feb. 15 and named UIW as the sole beneficiary.Dr. Shawn Daly and Dr. Dan Dominguez of the H-E-B School of Business and Administration were part of the team that assisted with this important gift.The gift will create the A. David Mangelsdorff Professorship of Homeland Security, an endowed professorship in the H-E-B School of Business and Administration.This is only the second unitrust on record at the university. We are deeply grateful to Dr. Mangelsdorff for his generosity and vision.
Spurs Tickets on Sale
The Campus Activities Board and Office of Residence Life have teamed up once again to bring $5 Spurs tickets to UIW. Tickets are for the March 6 game versus the Pacers with a 7 p.m. tip off. Students, faculty and staff can stop by the Marian Hall Student Center desk to purchase their tickets.Cash only sales please. For more information, please contact Kristin Garcia at ext. 5863 or the Student Center Desk at ext. 7360.
Teaching Award Nominations Wanted
Nominations are being accepted for the 2008 Presidential Teaching Award through Feb. 29. Established by the Faculty Senate in Fall 2004 upon the recommendation of Dr. Agnese, this annual award acknowledges and rewards a full-time instructor who exemplifies excellence in teaching that leads to student engagement. Nominees may be submitted by colleagues, students or alumni. Criteria information and nomination form are available at www.uiw.edu/teacher.
top of page
History adjunct professor Tim Draves has won the Texas State Historical Association’s 2008 Fred White Research Fellowship for his research on the life of Mary Menger.He'll receive the award at the annual meeting March 6. Tim Draves and Dr. Pat Gower received a grant to develop UIW web-based The Journal of the Life and Culture of San Antonio. Visit www.uiw.edu/sanantonio.
The final listing of accepted works for the 2008 SCI Region VI Conference/Sam Houston State University Contemporary Music Festival includes 4 movements from KenMetz’workGoretti Elegies. The movements have been selected to be performed at the SCI region 6 conferenceApril 16-19 at Sam Houston State University in Huntsville, Texas. The Goretti Elegies performance will be at 2:30 p.m. April 16.
top of page
St. Anthony Catholic High School Events
- April 5 (tentative date): Alumni Spring Fest
- April 18: Fiesta St. Anthony
Incarnate Word High School Events
- Feb 24: The annual Mother-Daughter Banquet will be from 11:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 24 at the Omni Hotel, 9821 Colonnade Boulevard.
top of page
Peer Mentor Applications
Encourage students to apply to be a peer mentor! Peer mentors receive a $2,000 scholarship annually. Applications are available in the First Year Engagement Offices (AD 111 & 113) and at www.uiw.edu/firstyear/peermentorprogram. Applications are due by Feb. 22. For more information, call 829-3004.
Our sympathy and prayers go to the following:
- Dr. Carmina Chapa (BA ’63) & family on the recent loss of her mother, Berta Gutierrez Chapa.
- Col. James S. Douglas (UIW friend) & family on the recent loss of his wife, Mary Lorene Douglas (UIW friend).
- Robert Elizondo & family and Cecilia Elizondo Herrera (UNDCL ’77, IWHS ’73, UIW Alumna of Distinction) & family on the recent loss of their mother, Beatrice Buquor Elizondo.
- Jack L. Finger & family on the recent loss of his wife, Jurleen Alblinger Finger (SR School of Nursing ’49).
- Maritza A. Garza (IWHS ’04) & family on the recent loss of her father, Rogerio C. Garza.
- Dr. Patricia Gower (UIW faculty) & family on the recent loss of her father, Col. Daniel W. Gower.
- Francisco Gutierrez (SACHS faculty) & family on the recent loss of his grandmother, Teresa Calleja de Gutierrez.
- Don Hansen & family on the recent loss of his wife, and Sen. John & Sandra Hansen Cornyn (BBA ’79) & family on the recent loss of her mother, Virginia Wild Hansen.
- Albert Martinez (UIW staff) & family on the recent loss of his granddaughter, Natalie Ann Hernandez.
- Laura Resendez (UIW SMARRT Project Coordinator) & family on the recent loss of her mother, Angelina G. Hinojosa.
- The family of Elizabeth Jane Jennings (BA ’60) on her recent death.
- Gary (UIW faculty) & Jacqueline Keith & family on the recent loss of her father, John Samuel Kerr.
- Dr. Maureen Halligan (MA ’71, HD ’06, Professor Emerita) and the family of Dan H. Laurence on his recent death.
- Gov. Dolph Briscoe (UIW friend) & family on the recent loss of his granddaughter, Janey Katherine Marmion.
- Brenda Melton (UIW friend) & family on the recent loss of her husband, Anthony A. Melton.
- Paul K. Mery, Jr. (UIW friend) & family on the recent loss of his father, Paul Karam Mery, Sr.
- Howard Navarro Sr. & family on the recent loss of his wife, Beatrice Becerra Navarro (BBA ’80).
- Sr. Margaret Rose Palmer, CCVI, (BA ’45, UIW faculty, retired) & family on the recent loss of Eloise D. Palmer.
- Corp. John Sanchez (UIW Campus Police) & family on the recent loss of his brother, Juan Andres Sanchez Jr.
- The family of Sr. Doreen Marie Skinner, CCVI, the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word, and the entire UIW community, on her recent death.
- Dr. Joanie Sompayrac (UIW friend) & family on the recent loss of her mother, Betty Leland Sompayrac (UNDCL ’59).
- Gerardo Garza (UIW staff) & family on the recent loss of his sister, Sally Ann Soto.
- Sr. Teresa Stanley, CCVI, (BSN ’60, HD ’03) & family on the recent loss of her brother, the Rev. Patrick Stanley.
- Irina Reyes Varella & family on the recent loss of her sister, Cosette Alejandra Reyes Varela (BA ’05).
top of page