The University of the Incarnate Word (UIW) will confer degrees to graduates at two spring commencement ceremonies scheduled for 6:30 p.m., Friday, May 4 and 10:30 a.m. Sunday, May 6.
UIW’s Commencement ceremony for Graduate and Professional programs will be held Friday, May 4, 2012, at 6:30 p.m. in the McDermott Convocation Center located on the UIW campus.
The Undergraduate Commencement Ceremony is set for Sunday, May 6 at 1:30 p.m., in the Joe and Harry Freeman Coliseum located at 3201 E Houston St. San Antonio, TX 78219. This is the university’s first off-campus commencement.
Access to the Web broadcast will be available 15 minutes prior to the event at at uiwtv.org.
6:30 p.m., Friday, May 4
Alice P. McDermott Convocation Center
University of the Incarnate Word
San Antonio, Texas 78209
1:30 p.m. Sunday, May 6
Joe and Harry Freeman Coliseum
3201 E Houston St.
San Antonio, TX 78219
- Friday evening’s commencement will honor graduates of the university’s masters and PhD programs, and UIW’s Feik School of Pharmacy.
- In addition, 19 nurses, all in leadership positions at CHRISTUS Muguerza hospitals, will travel to San Antonio to graduate with their Master of Science in Nursing from UIW’s Illa Faye Miller School of Nursing. CHRISTUS Muguerza is a group of several hospitals sponsored by the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word in Monterrey, Mexico. In 2005, CHRISTUS Muguerza and UIW partnered to offer the MSN to these women.
- Former Railroad Commissioner Elizabeth Ames Jones will address the graduates on Friday.
- UIW will bestow a Doctor of Humane Letters on two commendable couples, Mrs. Betty and Lt. Col. Robert Earl Kelso and Mrs. Peggy and Mr. Jack Lewis. Both couples are longtime friends of the university and are very active in the community. The Kelso’s and the Lewis’ have donated their time, talent and have made generous gifts to the university allowing UIW to better service the needs of students.
- Sunday afternoon’s commencement will honor UIW’s 425 undergraduates and will take place off-campus for the first time at the Joe and Harry Freeman Coliseum
- UIW Provost Dr. Denise Doyle will address the graduates on Sunday.
- The 2012 Alumni of Distinction for Service in Mission will be presented on Sunday to Sgt. Maj. Kent C. Dolasky, BBA’02, MBA ’06. Sgt. Maj. Dolasky is currently an Army Special Forces Sergeant Major and the Commandant of the Joint Special Operations Forces Senior Enlisted Academy (JSOFSEA) in Tampa, Fla. In 2010, Dolasky formed a volunteer organization aptly named “Buckets of Hope.” Dolasky became UIW’s first eArmyU graduate in December 2002, receiving a bachelor of business administration. While on active duty in the Middle East, he began pursuing a graduate degree on Universe Online.
- A Baccalaureate Mass will be held for all graduates on Sunday, May 6, 2012, at 10:30 a.m., in the Joe and Harry Freeman Coliseum located at 3201 E Houston St. San Antonio, TX 78219
- Processional and recessional music will be performed by the San Antonio Pipes and Drums. Musical direction will be provided by UIW Associate Professor of Music William Gokelman.
Margaret Garcia, UIW associate director of public relations, (210) 422-4052, firstname.lastname@example.org.