The Bachelor of Music in Music Education with a Minor in All-Level Education is designed specifically to certify music educators who will teach in a public or private school system. In order to graduate, degree candidates will perform a public recital and will successfully complete a Student Teaching Internship. Prospective students must be able to read notated music and demonstrate appropriate technical proficiency in voice or on an instrument at the time of their entrance audition. Candidates must declare a performance focus of voice or a traditional band or orchestral instrument. The vocal track listed below is for students whose focus is voice. The instrumental track listed below is for all other music education majors. Currently, piano and guitar are not options as principal instruments in this degree plan. For more information on this program, contact Dr. Brett A. Richardson at: email@example.com.
Prerequisites: Students who, at the time of their entrance audition, are deemed unprepared for freshman-level MUAP lessons or MUSI courses may be placed in one or more the following courses: MUAP 1144, MUSI 1311, MUSI 1381, MUSI 1100, MUSI 1300. These courses are prerequisites to the pursuit of a music degree at UIW and are not counted as part of the degree or as free electives.
A. Musicianship (40 credit hours):
• MUSI 4323 Form and Analysis (3)
B. Applied Music, Recital, and Ensemble (22 credit hours):
• 8 credit hours of major ensembles: Chorale (MUEN 1131), Orchestra (MUEN 1185), or Band (MUEN 1140 and MUEN 1185)
C. Music Education (14 credit hours):
• MUSI 4110 Instrumental Tech/Pedagogy (instrumental track) OR • MUSI 4120 Choral Methods (vocal track) (1)
D. Requirements for the Minor in All-Level in Education:
Pre-Professional Requirements (6 credit hours):
• EDUC 2305 Foundations of Education (3) • EDUC 3345 Critical Concepts in Secondary
Education (3) Application to the Teacher Certification Program (TCP) *(see below)
Professional Development Sequence (24 credit hours):
• EDUC 3340 Technology in Education (3) • EDUC 3373 Learning Theories (3) • EDUC 3380 Pedagogy in the Secondary and Middle School (3) • EDUC 3383 Integrative Pedagogy in the Secondary and Middle School (3) • EDUC 3385 Culturally Responsive Teaching (3) • EDUC 4305 Teaching Apprenticeship Seminar • EDUC 4605 Teaching Apprenticeship (6)
E. Core Curriculum: 40 required credit hours of General Studies.
See university Core as specified in the applicable catalog. A minimum of 120 semester hours is required for graduation, with no less than 36 upper division (3000-4000 level) courses. It is the student's responsibility to ensure that all requirements for the degree are fulfilled as stated in the undergraduate catalog.