April 14, 2009
ACCESS UNDERWAY AT UIW -- posted Thursday, April 17 2008
UIW A.C.C.E.S.S. is a new program designed to help integrate the mission of the university into the life of the athletic department. A.C.C.E.S.S. stands for Athletic Center for Character and Excellence in Sports and Spirituality.
Vision – to create an environment in the athletic department where coaches and athletes are encouraged to deepen their faith and given opportunity to put their faith into action in and out of their competitive arenas
Goals - to capitalize on the connection between sports and spirituality in order to:
1) to develop a deeper understanding of the love of the Incarnate Word and the impact that this love has on humanity
2) to share the love and spirit of the Incarnate Word with those in need, both locally and globally
Methods – to create opportunities for exploration and dialogue among members of the athletic department concerning the mission of the university and its integration into their lives including, but not limited to:
• Prayer breakfasts
• leadership training
• athlete/local school partnerships
• short-term mission trips (local/global)
• Compete with Character Clinics (led by athletes)
• team chaplains
• Habitat for Humanity builds
• Community service opportunities
• Big Brother/Big Sister Program
1 Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. 2Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. 3 More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, 4and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, 5and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.
September 2, 2008
Faithful Citizenship Highlights
Click here for a printable file of poster no. 3.
Click here for a printable file of poster no. 2.
Click here for a printable file of poster no. 1.