University of the Incarnate Word
Ideas for a Reflection Period at the Beginning of Class.
Because we are a faith-based university, we are free to express our faith in the classroom.
- Choose a phrase from the Mission statement and ask students to spend a few minutes
reflecting on its meaning in light of their class, major, etc.
- To begin a new week of classes, invite a student to read one short phrase that is
meaningful to him/her from the Bible or other holy book.
- Ask students to take charge of opening the class with a brief reflection of their
- Ask students to spend a moment in silent reflection or prayer for the world or for
some current major crisis.
- Ask students if they have any special intentions that they would like everyone to
pray for during the day.
- Read a paragraph from Promises to Keep and spend a moment talking about it.
- Over the course of the semester, have each student report on what personal insights
he or she has gained from engaging in community service—a core Mission value.
- Use web prayer links to find appropriate brief prayers for each class.
- Post a spiritual thought for the week in your classroom and draw attention to it at
the beginning of class.
- Reflect on Core Values:
Faith, Education, Truth, Innovation, Service
Mission materials and prayer links can be found at www.uiw.edu/mission
-- Mission Effectiveness Committee