You will continue to use your existing Microsoft Outlook client as you did before!
All your mail, contacts, personal calendars, and tasks will be in the same spot you
left them. Review the steps below to make sure everything is working as intended.
If you have any problems, please call the Help Desk On-campus @ extension 2721, Locally
@ 210-829-2721 or Toll-free @ 1-866-614-5043.
POST MIGRATION STEPS
1. If you use Microsoft Outlook on a Windows PC
- Microsoft Outlook will prompt you to re-enter your username and password in a box
at the top of your screen. Simply enter your UIW email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) as your username and the password you use to login (after migration users NO LONGER
enter ad\username). We recommend selecting the box that says "remember my credentials"
to eliminate constant prompting.
2. If you use Microsoft Outlook on a Mac
- Mac Users will need to reconnect their Outlook with a few steps located on the O365
Setup - Mac page to the left or by clicking here.
3. If you only connect to e-mail through webmail
- The link to get to webmail has changed. If you are comfortable on your own you can
simply type https://outlook.office365.com into your browser or you may access through the https://www.uiw.edu/ website Mail link. After being migrated you will use the link on the right labeled MIGRATED EMPLOYEES.
4. Reconnect your phone or any mobile devices you may have connected to UIW mail.
- After migration phones that connected to UIW email, contacts and calendar will stop
working. Users must update their settings to reflect the new server (outlook.office365.com),
ensure the domain field is blank, and always ensure any username field is set to the
full email address (email@example.com). If prompted on the type of setup ensure to select EXCHANGE not OUTLOOK.
- Detailed Instructions to connect your phone are located here.
5. Users should check their shared calendars
- If you connected to another user's calendar or someone connected to yours, you may
need to reshare to ensure the same visibility as before. Instructions for sharing
your calendar are located here for Windows or here for Mac. If you share with a person who is NOT migrated some features will not work correctly
until that person is migrated as well.
6. Users should check room calendars
- If you had connected to a room calendar before you may need to remove and re-add to
have the same visibility. Instructions for connecting to a room calendar are located
here for Windows or here for Mac.
7. Rebuild any personal distribution lists you may have created
- Users who had previously built personal e-mail distribution lists will still see them.
However, depending on when and how the list was built, users may get rejects. The
best option is to delete and recreate the list by re-adding desired contacts from
the global address list in Outlook. A brief tutorial is provided here.
8. Recommend clearing Outlook's Auto-Complete Cache.
- In testing, users who use the Outlook client had some issues with the autocomplete
email function using old unsupported email types. In order to overcome this, users
can simply clear this cache by clicking here for Windows. Going forward, Outlook will only build the auto-complete with correct addresses.
9. Rebuild your E-mail Signature
- If you add a signature to the end of your emails, you will need to re-create your
signature in Office 365. If you use more than one client -- for example, Outlook on
the web and Outlook 2016 -- you will need to add your signature in each client. Instructions
to build a signature are located here.
10. Rebuild any rules or email wizards you used to automatically sort email
- If you had created rules in Outlook they will not carry over and must be re-created.
To find out how to create new rules click here.
11. When ready copy an archive folders or .psts to your new mailbox
- Instructions for copying your archives or .psts into your cloud e-mail are located
here. Due to potentially high bandwidth use, all users copy these folders over in the evening
before leaving for the day.
I am all set with e-mail. What about moving my files into OneDrive?
You can synchronize files into OneDrive after you are migrated, when you are ready.
Like email archives if you have large amount of data to copy please do so at the end
of the day. This helps moderate bandwidth spikes and ensures your files are in the cloud quickly,
without any problems. To do so, simply follow the instructions on the O365 setup
tabs (PC or Mac) to the left. All personal files should be moved to OneDrive before
the end of 2017. At that point IRD will decommission local area network personal